Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 03:25 PM

1,803 posts, read 936,473 times

Advertisements

First thing that comes to mind in this Political demonizing SUPER divided era ..... and politically the Parties trying to gain higher majorities in Congress is that One STATE from like 8 to 14 to 1..... with DC would mean lose of at least 14 to 24 SENATORS....
Sorry right there a instant DOA.

Now if we have Militias take over and split the Country.... maybe yes. It would not be any United States then as we know it. Some in the extreme Party wings.... clearly seem to be working towards that.... We also have risk of a rogue state like a Texas... always remembering it was a independent Country for like 10-yrs and to maintain it from turning Blue.... such a choice is in the cards IMO especially if the Gov gets re-elected..... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Another thing is.... this on and of call for DC alone to be a state and like that would easily be giving up? Again makes little sense. It is kinda wacky enough DC is not part of any state to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 09:19 PM

809 posts, read 470,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I find Greenwich and Fairfield County CT to be extremely similar to The MetroWest of Boston. Vineyard Vines and Lululemon just everywhere, boats, pretentiousness, new england vibes/charm etc. i find it way different than LI or NNJ, or even the Hudson Valley.
Yes and No in my view.

Yes in the sense that both areas are very upwardly mobile mixed with some very old money. There is also the charm that is unmistakeable, such as the existence of the New England town green concept and rotaries (i.e roundabouts). Like you can just feel the charm mixed with pretentiousness at the Darien Metro-North station. Vineyard Vines is based in CT, but got its start in MA (they make some quality clothing too).

No in the sense that the NYC orbit is pretty present in lower FFC and parts of New Haven Co. given the faster pace, love for Manhattan cultural sites/shopping, and general tendency to look first at what NYC is doing (a la trends) compared to Boston (you can get alcohol to-go in CT for example and Gov. Lamont clearly pays close attention to what's happening with NYS/NYC being a financier from Greenwich). Let's not also forget the direct train links and powerful NYC media. I also find as a Black person just more of an ease navigating the bougie FFC towns (far from perfect though) vs. MetroWest Boston, which can be uncomfortable despite the great income/educational stats on paper.

Parts of FFC also share similarities with affluent NNJ, Westchester and Suffolk County towns such as Alpine (NJ), Montclair (NJ), Rye (used to be a part of CT ages ago), Summit (NJ), and Southampton.

In short, SW CT can feel a bit bi-polar (not necessarily bad, can be interesting), but is really nice.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:20 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Yes and No in my view.

Yes in the sense that both areas are very upwardly mobile mixed with some very old money. There is also the charm that is unmistakeable, such as the existence of the New England town green concept and rotaries (i.e roundabouts). Like you can just feel the charm mixed with pretentiousness at the Darien Metro-North station. Vineyard Vines is based in CT, but got its start in MA (they make some quality clothing too).

No in the sense that the NYC orbit is pretty present in lower FFC and parts of New Haven Co. given the faster pace, love for Manhattan cultural sites/shopping, and generally tendency to look first at what NYC is doing compared (a la trends) to Boston (you can get alcohol to-go in CT for example and Gov. Lamont clearly pays close attention to what's happening with NYS/NYC being a financier from Greenwich). I also find as a Black person just more of an ease navigating the bougie FFC towns (far from perfect though) vs. MetroWest Boston, which can be uncomfortable despite the great income/educational stats on paper.

Parts of FFC also share similarities with affluent NNJ and Suffolk County towns such as Alpine (NJ), Montclair (NJ), Summit (NJ), and Southampton.

In short, SW CT can feel a bit bi-polar (not necessarily bad, can be interesting), but is really nice.
Good post

Old 07-03-2021, 09:26 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Of course not. There is no reason for that. Why not have all the plains states merge or the southern states?
Tried and failed.

Old 07-04-2021, 03:49 AM

2,820 posts, read 2,287,063 times
Perhaps if we were starting from scratch it would make sense to have fewer states. But, this would be logistically impossible to merge existing states together. It's also not clear what the benefits would be? Bragging rights? There wouldn't be cost savings, DE a tiny state has lower taxes than NY. Plus, the federal system rewards small states. The Senate representation would fall from 22 senators to just 22. The region would also lose 20 votes in the electoral college. It would be such a deep blue state that it would be ignored in presidential elections.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:22 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Perhaps if we were starting from scratch it would make sense to have fewer states. But, this would be logistically impossible to merge existing states together. It's also not clear what the benefits would be? Bragging rights? There wouldn't be cost savings, DE a tiny state has lower taxes than NY. Plus, the federal system rewards small states. The Senate representation would fall from 22 senators to just 22. The region would also lose 20 votes in the electoral college. It would be such a deep blue state that it would be ignored in presidential elections.
Agree. This is a hypothetical. It would never happen but like a lot of these posts, it's fun to stir up a lot of debate

Old 07-04-2021, 01:33 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Default Should the 13 Northeastern States and DC merge into one state? (quality of life, centers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
There are big states such as California, Texas and Florida which counts large populations and areas but there are 13 separate Northeastern States plus DC. The 13 Northeastern States and DC is actually more connected to each other than California and Texas metropolitan areas does. There is a virtually continuous developed corridor which runs from Portland to Virginia Beach with Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington as the centers of the Northeast. Why we don't recognize it as one state like California and Texas? I think the Northeastern Corridor's quality of life would be better than having the corridor in 13 separate states. The states I'm proposing to merge are ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, PA, WV, MD, DC and VA.
They already tried this back in the 1600s.

The Dominion of New England at its maximum size included New Hampshire, Massachusetts (including Maine), Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York (including Vermont) and New Jersey.

Boston was the capital city with New York City as a secondary capital city. But even so it was considered to be too big an area to run effectively and was unpopular by the colonists who wanted their original colonies restored.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_of_New_England

Old 07-04-2021, 01:44 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
No. No reason to.

Old 07-04-2021, 08:18 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Well there is not even a large amount of agreement within most of the states themselves on governing. or even in counties. so why would they merge. to even attempt it would be comical. It would be interesting to see all the issues that were brought up in the process, though.

Fun fact: the colony of Virginia once claimed land as far west as the Pacific coast.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:54 AM

1,044 posts, read 687,051 times
The states should never merge or they'll lose too much power in the US government.

I've always felt that the Megalopolis states of the Northeast should form a regional voting block in both the House and the Senate. Basically Reps and Senators from MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, and MD (and maybe DE, NH, VT and ME) should use their power to get more money and funding back to the urban areas of the northeast. Many states pay more than what they get back and frankly I'm tired of it.

If they vote as a block, maybe it'll give our region a bit more power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.