Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times

Advertisements

For me, it's Newark, NJ. You know the neighborhood is bad when the houses you see have iron bars on the windows and doors. This was years ago though, so I think Cory Booker did clean the place up before he left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 01:58 PM

836 posts, read 1,031,976 times
Default Crown Heights

For me, it was when I lived in Brooklyn- specifically the neighborhood Crown Heights. Even more specifically, the corner of Bergen St. and Kingston ave. I saw one of my neighbors get shot. He was shot in the leg (not chest region) and survived, but it was still scary. I actually lived in a really nice Brownstone property with 2 of my friends... it just happened to be located in front of a project building where some interesting folks lived.

After that incident, if I was going home late I would either take a cab home (out of pocket), or stayed at my job past 9:30p so I would be reimbursed for a company car lol. It was THAT bad. As soon as my year lease was up- I moved and never looked back.

Cheap housing though- $500 a month! I guess you get what you pay for.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:23 PM

91 posts, read 104,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I have a few experiences myself.

Los Angeles - Saw a homeless guy set fire to other one. My girlfriend got out of the car and put him out.
Like many others, I've seen some crazy things in our cities, but I've never seen one homeless person set another on fire.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:58 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,323 times
It was pretty frightful. Seeing a homeless guy throw a molotov cocktail at someone who was sleeping. Lucky I was close by when that happened, kinda wondered what could have been if me and my gf wasn't near by.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:48 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
East Cobb in Atlanta, all those rich snobs, with their Whole Foods, laughing at me.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:04 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
SE DC, Baltimore, MD, Camden and Trenton NJ, Chester and (north) Philadelphia, PA, Fayetteville, NC. I have a bad habit of taking a wrong turn.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brri View Post
That doesn't make the place "scary". Unsafe? Not a city in America that might feel like that in places. I grew up in RI and spent every summer in Brooklyn. Is your friend really from NYC? Comparing unsafe or scary between the two is like comparing the moon to Jupiter.
I didn't say she thought it was scary. She just didn't like it, she mostly felt it was unsafe in some areas at least. Yes, she's from NYC.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 AM

226 posts, read 284,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
I don't know...I was always under the impression that the northeast side was the bad side...ward 5 or something? Plus that's where a lot of poverty and crime/drugs take place because from my understanding a lot of people from new Orleans came after Katrina to this area. Never heard anything about the southwest part but while there will always be pockets in large cities of bad areas it just seems at the same time that its typically concentrated at the same time.
5th Ward is one of the bad areas of the city, along with the part of town that you were in, and some other neighborhoods that are spreaded throughout the city. Due to a lack of zoning laws in Houston, the good parts and bad parts of town aren't situated in one part of the city, and are located in different parts of the city.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:43 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Cabrini Green and Henry Horner neighborhoods in Chicago -- both former public housing projects. Cabrini Green is where I spent much more time in trying to rehabilitate the units and the common areas of the buildings throughout the mid/late 1990's with my church, whereas Henry Horner we really just flew in and out of fairly quickly, as it was considered "too dangerous" at the time for us to stay much longer (and I believe it!). I never stepped foot in Stateway Gardens or other South Side projects but I've heard they were even worse!

It was my experiences in these areas that gave me a tiny taste of what life in American slums can be like, and I don't think any words I can put here can best describe the unbelievably hellish conditions these people live through day in and day out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.