Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:01 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
LOL, for those of us who have been around Texans his story is not surprising at all and probably not all that unusual. It's just the people from the 49 states don't do things like that. Which is one reason it probably isn't the most "quintessential state".

The unique Texas pride factor makes Texas "atypical" instead of "typical".

Thank you. I was tempted to take a photo of the guy so people would see for themselves, but felt awkward with his family watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Texas, "It's like a Whole other Country!".

What is more quintessentially American than a 'Lone Star' state that brags about its former independence from the U.S., has a seccessionist movement (however neutered), has a different cultural values and mores than much of the rest of the country, and likes to promote itself as not really that much like the rest of America at all?
Texas has a little bit of everything, just like America. Few other states embody as much of American culture as Texas does.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
LOL, for those of us who have been around Texans his story is not surprising at all and probably not all that unusual. It's just the people from the 49 states don't do things like that. Which is one reason it probably isn't the most "quintessential state".

The unique Texas pride factor makes Texas "atypical" instead of "typical".
Have you ever actually been to Texas? Lots of states have pride. Pennsylvania just doesn't happen to be one of them, so an outspoken proud Texan in Philadelphia would seem to the "natives" like a real weirdo.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Thank you. I was tempted to take a photo of the guy so people would see for themselves, but felt awkward with his family watching.
That is quite a ridiculous story. Like anybody in Philly gives a rat's as$ about Texas, let alone cares about seeing its flag displayed all over the city like Texas has suddenly annexed it. What an idiot. Seriously, what is the point of carrying around the Texas flag at your son's graduation? He graduated from a PA school, what does Texas have to do with it? If it was a Texas campus I could see it, but no. Not outside TX. That's just tacky and obnoxious. I have pride in my state, but I would never parade its flag around outside NJ (or probably even inside it..).

If I saw someone enter my New Jersey town proudly carrying a Texas flag (or a Confederate flag, because that gets to me), I'd have to fight the urge to slap him/her. At the least I would not be nice to that person.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That is quite a ridiculous story. Like anybody in Philly gives a rat's as$ about Texas, let alone cares about seeing its flag displayed all over the city like Texas has suddenly annexed it. What an idiot. Seriously, what is the point of carrying around the Texas flag at your son's graduation? He graduated from a PA school, what does Texas have to do with it? If it was a Texas campus I could see it, but no. Not outside TX. That's just tacky and obnoxious. I have pride in my state, but I would never parade its flag around outside NJ (or probably even inside it..).

If I saw someone enter my New Jersey town proudly carrying a Texas flag (or a Confederate flag, because that gets to me), I'd have to fight the urge to slap him/her. At the least I would not be nice to that person.
New Jersey is not the quintessential American state.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
New Jersey is not the quintessential American state.
Hmm, missed the part where I said it was.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:52 PM

You didn't. I'm just making a comment.

Do you realize that Texas has 26 million people? This state is no monolith. Only California has the same diversity of people and places.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
You didn't. I'm just making a comment.

Do you realize that Texas has 26 million people? This state is no monolith. Only California has the same diversity of people and places.
Definitely. I'm sure not every Texan is like the guy who brings the state flag to his son's college graduation in PA, but Texans are known for their state pride to the rest of the country. It's not a bad thing, but when you have more pride in your state than, perhaps, your country, you probably aren't quintessentially American. Going off that, a lot of Texans probably also have a lot of American pride, but again, Texans are known for their state pride, and the whole "everything is bigger in Texas," "don't mess with Texas" stereotypes.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Virginia

Old 05-23-2014, 10:15 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Lol at people saying Texas. You folks do realize that the rest of the country thinks you are a joke right? Fat, gun nuts, pro-life, etc. I'd go with some midwest state like Iowa.
I don't think they are joke, i don't want to be associated with you close minded people so don't use the term "rest of the country" please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.