Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 05:37 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,143,870 times

Advertisements

Hard to say one for sure. Lots of good places mentioned here. Mackinaw Island in Michigan is the only place in the US where wolves have never been hunted since it became part of the US so that seems like it should be considered as well.

Everglades, Okeefenokee Swamp, and possibly some bayous are pretty well preserved in their natural state. Okeefenokee in particular stands out as they tried to dig a canal to drain the thing, and eventually gave up due to the cost and difficulty. The "land" there is mostly floating islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 05:52 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,695,746 times
Northern Maine definitely seems untouched by human hands, as do parts of the Adirondacks in upstate New York

Old 05-21-2014, 07:34 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,529,251 times
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lation_map.png

Old 05-21-2014, 08:47 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,852,936 times
Wildest: many parts of the western U.S (including the western Great Plains).

Outside of the traditional "West" I'd say it's northern Maine, Minnesota, Michigan, and possibly the Everglades in Florida.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:51 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,787,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I'm guessing he's talking about the least populated/developed.

In our neck of the woods, that title goes to the Okefenokee Swamp area in far Southeast Georgia.

In all my 23 years (no, that's not my age) of living in the state of Georgia, I have never been there, but I have seen the stats. I need to get off the computer and check it out at some point. LOL
I've been there. It's freaky and fascinating! Interesting facts: The Okefenokee was formed thousands of years ago when sea water got trapped behind ancient sand dunes (or a barrier island) as the oceans receded. To this day, these elevated "dunes" form the eastern boundary of the swamp and keep the water contained. The swamp has no natural in-flow, but is instead filled by natural springs and rainwater. The famous Suwanee River originates in the swamp and drains 90 percent of its 685 square miles into the Gulf of Mexico. For many years, the swamp was logged for cypress wood and several abandoned mining towns and railroad lines still exist well into its interior. The swamp was so isolated and remote that the ancestors of early swamp settlers still spoke Elizabethan English well into the 20th century.

The Altahama River in Georgia would be a close second -- "America's Amazon."

Last edited by Newsboy; 05-21-2014 at 09:06 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 09:29 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,836,869 times
Definitely the northern section of Maine. Practically no one lives there and there's virtually no development whatsoever. No interstate highways either. Just a few U.S. highways.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,925,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I've been there. It's freaky and fascinating! Interesting facts: The Okefenokee was formed thousands of years ago when sea water got trapped behind ancient sand dunes (or a barrier island) as the oceans receded. To this day, these elevated "dunes" form the eastern boundary of the swamp and keep the water contained. The swamp has no natural in-flow, but is instead filled by natural springs and rainwater. The famous Suwanee River originates in the swamp and drains 90 percent of its 685 square miles into the Gulf of Mexico. For many years, the swamp was logged for cypress wood and several abandoned mining towns and railroad lines still exist well into its interior. The swamp was so isolated and remote that the ancestors of early swamp settlers still spoke Elizabethan English well into the 20th century.

The Altahama River in Georgia would be a close second -- "America's Amazon."
Have you ever heard of the trail ridge? It's a naturally formed ridge that extends south for 130 miles into Florida. An ancient barrier beach was many miles offshore during the last Ice Age; now the top of the ridge is close to 160 feet above sea level. Native Americans and early European settlers once used the ridge as a natural trail. The Okefenokee is actually just west of the trail ridge.

Whenever I have some extra time down there, I want to find out where the actual ridge is. That would be cool to find amongst the vast flatness of SE Georgia. .....Yeah, I guess I'm a nerd for this.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:29 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,155,257 times
East of the Mississippi, northern Maine/Upper Michigan/Northern Minnesota. There are true wildernesses in these regions, like Voyageurs & Maine North Woods & Huron Mountains, and they take up a good chunk of territory. You can practically throw a dart at most areas of the West and find wilderness.

I guess MN is technically west of the Mississippi, but its headwaters are there and parts of the state are east, and parts west, so I'm including it.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:38 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,883,464 times
The Wind River mountains of Wyoming have got to be high on the list.

In parts of Nevada you may as well be on another planet.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,135,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Definitely the northern section of Maine. Practically no one lives there and there's virtually no development whatsoever. No interstate highways either. Just a few U.S. highways.
I'm pretty sure parts of Northern Maine aren't even connected the the American electrical grid. I think they have to get their power from Canada because it's too far from the closest connection to the Eastern US Grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.