Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 01:42 PM

117 posts, read 449,926 times

Advertisements

where would it be and why??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Right here (as I am doing). Good schools, low crime, lots to do, 4 seasons, central location, etc. The only downfall is that its expensive.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:00 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
If we had accidentally reproduced, we would never have left Maine. Good schools in most areas, very low crime, and one of the best overall lifestyles to be found. Nobody is ever bored in Maine unless they want to be. Friendly people, small cities, small towns, or places with just letters and numbers on a map, whatever floats your boat. The most reasonable cost of living in New England. The most gorgeous coastline anywhere in the country. Hundreds of lakes. Thousands of miles of hiking trails for all abilities. I could go on forever.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,053 times
Right here in Mission Viejo! Good schools, one of the lowest crime rates in the country, excellent weather, beaches, and the kids have true and long lasting friends. Also a big plus, the ability to got to the University of California campuses on resident tuition. Some of the most affordable and prestigious public universities in the nation (UCLA, UC San Diego, UC Irvine) are all within an hour of us. I hope my oldest gets into UCLA next year, I'm so proud of his hard work!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:13 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Right here (as I am doing). Good schools, low crime, lots to do, 4 seasons, central location, etc. The only downfall is that its expensive.

what steve-o said. people very involved in the community and schools, schools rock, people are friendly, my boys have 6 other boys right on our street who are the same age, they can go play for hours out front or in the woods behind our house with no worries. neighbors look out for each other, i have no less than 20 people i can call in an emergency any time of day or night. again, like steve-o said though - it comes with a price, but one i'm willing to pay.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:11 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
If I had children I would not raise them in the United States. I would prefer giving them the life I had of travel, attending school in different countries, learning different cultures, understanding peoples of different races and socio economic backgrounds. Then give them the best education possible.

Last edited by jhlcomp; 12-12-2007 at 08:21 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 08:20 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
New York, Chicago, Boston, or Philly. Expose them to diversity, which is a must to succeed. 4 seasons, sports fanatics, walkable, etc.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:27 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Mission Viejo or El Segundo, CA. Great schools, safe, family orientated, near the beach, great weather, and two of the best state school systems in the country.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
My partner and I plan to raise our children in the Hill Section of Scranton in the future. To me this will be an ideal location. In the mornings I can walk our children to their neighborhood elementary school before I walk to my downtown accounting office. My partner, who will work from home, will walk downtown a few days a week so we can have lunch together around noon. He'll walk to pick up our children from school in the early afternoon until I walk home from work in the evening. On some nights we'll hire a sitter and my partner and I will walk downtown to see the Philharmonic play at the cultural center, catch a movie at the theater, do some shopping at the mall, grab a cappucino at a coffee house, or see an off-Broadway show. On the weekends we'll all walk as a family uphill to Nay Aug Park where I'll smile as I watch my childrens' eyes light up as they see the waterfall, tree house, zoo, water slides, etc. Neighborhood children will be welcome to swim in our backyard pool, and neighborhood parents will be invited over for backyard barbecues. My partner and I will start an annual Lower Hill Block Party to complement other block parties in the city and to help foster a sense of neighborliness and community in the Lower Hill area.

Eventually when I run for elected office I'll be able to walk to City Hall. If and when I decide to pursue my Master's Degree and/or Ph.D., I can walk to the University of Scranton. If and when I decide to semi-retire and become an associate professor, I can likewise walk to either this university or another nearby campus. On Sunday mornings we'll all walk as a family to church. We'll walk to various annual city celebrations, like First Night: Scranton, La Festa Italiana, Scranton Jazz Festival, Santa Parade, St. Patrick's Day Parade, Armed Forces Parade, First Fridays, Electric City Film Festival, Everhart After Dark, etc.

I personally don't know why so many families avoid this city like the plague when it has so much to offer.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Here are some images from my dream neighborhood:

One of these historic beauties WILL be ours some day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.