Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What cities have the most fun, friendly, beautiful, and lively downtown?
Seattle 11 18.64%
Portland, OR 1 1.69%
San Francisco 15 25.42%
Los Angeles 4 6.78%
Denver 6 10.17%
Miami 4 6.78%
Tampa 0 0%
Washington, D.C. 1 1.69%
Honolulu 0 0%
Boston 5 8.47%
Dallas 1 1.69%
Austin 3 5.08%
San Antonio 5 8.47%
Charleston, SC 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:38 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what cities people think have the most active and lively downtown. I'd like to live in a downtown of something, but just wondering which one is the best, besides NYC. I like ones that have a good amount of pedestrian traffic, somewhat dense, clean, visually appealing, and maybe something that resembles NYC or Denver (my two favorite.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 10:02 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
You have to get over comparing cities to one another. Reading the rest of your posts, you act like the entire US is in a competition over which city "is better", and also act like the entire US agrees that the best city is NYC.

So, in other words, every city in the US is battling for 2nd place? No. If you truly were in the cities that you compare LA, NYC, and Denver to, you'd know there's no comparison or competition. Every city is different.

And btw, your list is VERY incomplete: where are the midwestern cities like Chicago, Minneapolis, and St. Louis, and others?

I won't vote in this thread.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:33 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
SF, Portland, Boston, Seattle have nice urban cores.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
You have to get over comparing cities to one another. Reading the rest of your posts, you act like the entire US is in a competition over which city "is better", and also act like the entire US agrees that the best city is NYC.

So, in other words, every city in the US is battling for 2nd place? No. If you truly were in the cities that you compare LA, NYC, and Denver to, you'd know there's no comparison or competition. Every city is different.

And btw, your list is VERY incomplete: where are the midwestern cities like Chicago, Minneapolis, and St. Louis, and others?

I won't vote in this thread.
If you notice, this is not a city vs. city thread. I'm doing this for my own benefit because I would like to live in a lively downtown someday and was wondering what is the best one for me. I know I already like NYC. I don't like the midwest so I didn't include it in this poll.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If you notice, this is not a city vs. city thread. I'm doing this for my own benefit because I would like to live in a lively downtown someday and was wondering what is the best one for me. I know I already like NYC. I don't like the midwest so I didn't include it in this poll.
You've contributed greatly towards identical discussions like this one before.

I think you truly know the answer to this question in your heart.

I think you just want to start drama.

But, hey, I'm doing that right now, so I'm gonna back out and watch the city bashing begin yet again.....

Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 PM

Oh I get it, you want Chicago in there because you're from Illinois.

BTW, you're the one that started this argument. I don't want my thread closed down because I really am curious as to what people think.

You think I know what the answer is gonna be? LA? Because no, I don't think so. I think Seattle and Miami will be the top and LA will be in the middle, with Portland and Honolulu at the bottom.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
New York's DT is not very vibrant unless you include neighborhood like SOHO and the Village.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Oh I get it, you want Chicago in there because you're from Illinois.

BTW, you're the one that started this argument. I don't want my thread closed down because I really am curious as to what people think.

You think I know what the answer is gonna be? LA? Because no, I don't think so. I think Seattle and Miami will be the top and LA will be in the middle, with Portland and Honolulu at the bottom.
Wow. Thanks for proving me right.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 AM

I wanted to make sure about this as I have not spent enough time in some of these cities or no time at all and cannot make a good judgment. Isn't this what this site is about? Asking questions about cities and having them answered.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
I wanted to make sure about this as I have not spent enough time in some of these cities or no time at all and cannot make a good judgment. Isn't this what this site is about? Asking questions about cities and having them answered.
Well, I suggest you travel and find answers to those questions yourself.

I know you already have an opinion on most of the above cities. I see you bashing and raving about cities on this forum all the time!

I think you'll find great things in all of those cities, and doubt that the sole decision on where you move will be based on "how lively the downtown area is".

I'll marginally answer your question by saying that you probably should stay in LA. It's a great city that you seem to be very happy living in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.