Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:42 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,716,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Not entirely, considering West Virginia is half-Northern-half-Southern.
Maybe the Little Kanawha (sp ?) then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 08:46 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,932,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Can you please think of more Northeast-Southeast city combinations?
This is a hard one....

New York - Atlanta

Philadelphia - Charlotte

Washington DC - Miami

Boston - New Orleans

Pittsburgh - Nashville

Baltimore - Memphis

Columbus - Raleigh

Providence - Savannah

Portland - Charleston

Cleveland - Birmingham

Cincinnati - Mobile?

Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 19 days ago)

5,761 posts, read 5,526,963 times
I'm sorry, I understand the premise of this thread, but there are very few Southern/Northern cities that truly match up. However...

New Yorkers consider DC the South. To that end, Ithaca reminded me of DC--or more accurate, what life in 2 or 3 DC neighborhoods is. Very dense, buzzing with activity, street art, multicultural, largely educated populous, narrow streets, I can go on...

Downtown Syracuse reminds me of Downtown Richmond. Not from an energy/activity level, but from the layout of the streets and buildings. ..

Elmira NY/Gainesville GA: lot of interracial dating for a small Southern town in Gainesville. Gainesville is much more diverse, but they have eerily similar downtowns--one large bank to dominate the "skyline", big hospital, housing projects, etc. Run down, decrepit neighborhoods...

Old 05-28-2014, 09:43 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,860,299 times
NYC-Miami

DC-Atlanta

Boston-Charleston

Providence-Savannah

Philadelphia-New Orleans

Burlington-Asheville

Wildwood, NJ-Myrtle Beach, SC

Jackson/Central Jersey-Orlando

Pittsburgh-Richmond, VA

Old 05-28-2014, 10:55 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,878,470 times
It's hard to make anything on this thread work. But let's just correct:

I have lived in both NYC and Miami. And they are NOTHING alike. No more than NYC and Dallas. They are cities, that is all. This misconception is continually thrown about by people who have never lived in both, and thus a lot of people move to Miami expecting NYC with palm trees. And guess what, there are transplants all over the Miami forum who hate Miami and are moving back up North, because it is absolutely nothing like where they are from or what they expected or enjoy.

Miami is far more conservative politically and religiously than NYC, because its culture is predominantly wealthy white Cuban and South American - whereas NYC has only a tiny Cuban population, most not from the wealthy 1959 wave. It is a spread out driving city that is mostly suburban - the opposite of NY. The economy is mostly tourism, with many of the white collar jobs covered by Russian and South American nationals, not locals. Miami is an extremely racially and economically segregated city, whereas NYC is extremely integrated socially. There are virtually no Asians in Miami, whereas NYC has multiple neighborhoods predominantly of individual Asian nationalities. NYC is full of the top universities in the country. Miami has many colleges but only one university that even ranks nationally. In NYC people thrive on stress, and Miami has plenty of angry people with road rage but otherwise is very laid back. All of Miami takes a lunch break between 12-1PM and offices are closed... you can't expect to get business done during that time or have most places even answer the phone. People tend to work 10AM-4:30PM. NYC runs nearly 24/7, with the average work day being around 8:30PM-6PM. NYC is entirely about work and career advancement, whereas Miamians live for the evenings and weekends. NYC is full of authentic Italian restaurants, and in Miami you would struggle to get any Italian food that ranks above Olive Garden. NYC has one of the highest percentages of volunteers and non-profits per capita, whereas Miami has very few non-profit resources for its people, and has ranked as the lowest percentage of volunteers in the country per capita.

I could go on and on. The cultures are completely different, the values are completely different, the economies are completely different, and the climates are completely different. There is almost nothing that NYC and Miami have in common at all.

That said, both have wonderful aspects if you like what they have to offer. But please, let's stop spreading the misinformation that NYC and Miami have anything in common besides being cities, they really don't.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:50 PM

10,116 posts, read 15,793,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Which of each cities do you think is the most similar in each region?

Here are mines:

New York=Miami
Washington=Orlando
Boston=Savannah
Norfolk=Jacksonville
Detroit=New Orleans
St. Louis=Memphis
Pittsburgh=Birmingham
Milwaukee=Mobile
Baltimore=Tampa
Philadelphia=West Palm Beach
Indianapolis=Charlotte
Louisville=Nashville
Chicago=Atlanta
Buffalo=Charleston
Columbus=Raleigh
Green Bay=Wilmington

Can you please think of more Northeast-Southeast city combinations?
First of all Baltimore isn't always considered northeast, but if paired with anything I'd pair Baltimore with Norfolk for the port aspect both actually have an "Inner Harbor".

I'll also pair Philadelphia and Memphis for the ghettoness and crime.

Washington DC can go with Raleigh/Durham

Old 05-28-2014, 05:50 PM

622 posts, read 942,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
This is a hard one....

New York - Atlanta

Philadelphia - Charlotte

Washington DC - Miami

Boston - New Orleans

Pittsburgh - Nashville

Baltimore - Memphis

Columbus - Raleigh

Providence - Savannah

Portland - Charleston

Cleveland - Birmingham

Cincinnati - Mobile?
Finally, we have someone who actually make comparisons without going off topic talking about which regions do the cities belong. That's how this thread is suppose to be.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:04 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,558,874 times
Atlanta matches up more with NY than Miami does.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:12 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,257,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I'm sorry, I understand the premise of this thread, but there are very few Southern/Northern cities that truly match up. However...

New Yorkers consider DC the South. To that end, Ithaca reminded me of DC--or more accurate, what life in 2 or 3 DC neighborhoods is. Very dense, buzzing with activity, street art, multicultural, largely educated populous, narrow streets, I can go on...

Downtown Syracuse reminds me of Downtown Richmond. Not from an energy/activity level, but from the layout of the streets and buildings. ..

Elmira NY/Gainesville GA: lot of interracial dating for a small Southern town in Gainesville. Gainesville is much more diverse, but they have eerily similar downtowns--one large bank to dominate the "skyline", big hospital, housing projects, etc. Run down, decrepit neighborhoods...
I honestly don't know anyone who feels that way. Richmond, on the other hand, is a different story.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:32 PM

11,999 posts, read 12,860,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Atlanta matches up more with NY than Miami does.
I thought about that but between the coastal locations, large Jewish populations and overall more ethnic feel NYC and Miami share more in common IMO. New Yorkers often are back and forth between NYC and Miami, especially retirees, so there already is a large contingent of New Yorkers in Miami and a historical relationship between the two cities.

Atlanta and DC have similar non-ethnic/waspy white populations with significant African American history and culture. They also have some of the wealthiest AA populations in the country. AA in Miami have the worst poverty rate of nearly any major city. Atlanta, being the Capital of Georgia, also has a notable Government presence like in DC.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-29-2014 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.