Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 06:42 PM

68 posts, read 109,163 times

Advertisements

Richmond, VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,054,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Hah, you're seriously asking which cities in the South are good for Republicans?

It's a right-wing paradise literally everywhere in Dixieland. Pick a city with a good job market and you're done.
That's overstated. While being in a southern state might be a conservative's dream, many cities in the
South are quite progressive in their local politics.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:04 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,097,229 times
I hate to suggest it cause I'm not trying to bring more conservatives to our area but Jacksonville, FL has plenty of Republicans and tea partiers. We are pretty similar to Cleveland (1.5-2 million population, low COL, rapidly improving QOL, great symphony for our size) and in fact I have 4 or 5 friends who relocated from Cleveland. If you're considering OKC then you should definitely be thinking about Jax as well.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:16 PM

933 posts, read 1,527,469 times
DFW would be a good fit. Lots of people attend church, lots of evangelicals, lots of churches to pick from and people openly discuss religion. The metro is probably 60-40 in favor with Republicans, with most of the 40% being in the city of Dallas, Fort Worth and the southern burbs of Dallas. Most of the suburban counties go 65%+ Republican and many of the surrounding rural counties are as high as the 70s.

Texas has also not elected a Democrat to state office since the early 1990s and it doesn't look like it'll be happening anything in the near future.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,639,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
DFW would be a good fit. Lots of people attend church, lots of evangelicals, lots of churches to pick from and people openly discuss religion. The metro is probably 60-40 in favor with Republicans, with most of the 40% being in the city of Dallas, Fort Worth and the southern burbs of Dallas. Most of the suburban counties go 65%+ Republican and many of the surrounding rural counties are as high as the 70s.

Texas has also not elected a Democrat to state office since the early 1990s and it doesn't look like it'll be happening anything in the near future.
Pretty close actually. In 2012, the metro area as a whole went 55-45, Romney to Obama. Houston was around 53-47 and Atlanta went slightly Obama (by metro area).

A lot of the suburbs are diversifying very fast swinging things closer to the center. But then again a lot of the suburbs (particularly the Northern Tarrant County, far northern Collin and Denton counties, and the exurbs) seem to be holing firm red. The area is slowly moving to the left towards the center, but its more because the cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, and some of the suburbs are getting more liberal.

I don't know if thats good enough for the OP. I guess it depends on how major of a city he wants. I honestly think OKC sounds a better fit, but that may be too small.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:32 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,897,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear1209 View Post
Hi,
I'm a single 29F looking to settle down, and I'm very interested in moving down south. I currently live in Cleveland, OH and I've traveled around a lot to CA, NY, NJ, PA, MD, WV, and I've lived in both Cleveland, OH and Louisville KY. I liked Louisville a lot, and I could see myself moving back there, but I'd like to move to a bigger city.

I'm a conservative republican, and I just don't think that Cleveland is doing it for me. Yes there are all types here, but I feel like people like me are so few and far between here. I'm always polite and respectful of people when they speak their mind about various political/social issues, but I just think that I would fit better down south somewhere.

I think Cleveland has a lot of great restaurants, and culture, and has one of the best medical communities in the country. But I just personally don't think that it's the right place to raise a family.

I'm not into the bar scene or partying or whatever. I love church, museums, orchestras, good restaurants- not chain (really one of the only things I do like about Cleveland). Sometimes it's nice to go out and grab a glass of wine somewhere on occasion.

I'm seriously considering a move to Dallas, TX..but are there any other cities in the south I should look at?

Job situation is not so much a factor. The job market in Cleveland sucks, as I'm sure it does in a lot of other cities, so I work from home and I'll keep the same job. Although, if I could move to a city where I could find a job outside the home that would be nice. It sure as heck isn't happening here though. I'm more concerned with surrounding myself with good people who share my values where I could become part of a good safe community that I can raise my children in.

Are there any other cities in the south I should look at?

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I'd really appreciate any input!
Skip Dallas altogether, its inner city, along with Dallas County is Liberal (at least by Southern standards). Dallas' northern suburbs (Plano, Frisco, McKinney) however are HIGHLY conservative. A lot of Midwesterners & Northerners moving to those towns.

Check out Fort Worth 30 miles down the road. Tarrant County is blood red if you want that true Texas feel, but in a big city kinda way.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:07 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,152,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Skip Dallas altogether, its inner city, along with Dallas County is Liberal (at least by Southern standards). Dallas' northern suburbs (Plano, Frisco, McKinney) however are HIGHLY conservative. A lot of Midwesterners & Northerners moving to those towns.

Check out Fort Worth 30 miles down the road. Tarrant County is blood red if you want that true Texas feel, but in a big city kinda way.
Key point is in bold.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:41 PM

933 posts, read 1,527,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Pretty close actually. In 2012, the metro area as a whole went 55-45, Romney to Obama. Houston was around 53-47 and Atlanta went slightly Obama (by metro area).

A lot of the suburbs are diversifying very fast swinging things closer to the center. But then again a lot of the suburbs (particularly the Northern Tarrant County, far northern Collin and Denton counties, and the exurbs) seem to be holing firm red. The area is slowly moving to the left towards the center, but its more because the cities of Dallas, Fort Worth, and some of the suburbs are getting more liberal.

I don't know if thats good enough for the OP. I guess it depends on how major of a city he wants. I honestly think OKC sounds a better fit, but that may be too small.
Diversity doesn't necessarily mean liberal. I've met quite a few Republican Indians, Asians and Hispanics in the Collin County 'burbs.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,611,082 times
Maby check out San Antonio

San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Antonio Chamber of Commerce | San Antonio, Texas

Old 06-14-2014, 12:34 AM

52 posts, read 111,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Diversity doesn't necessarily mean liberal. I've met quite a few Republican Indians, Asians and Hispanics in the Collin County 'burbs.
And, they're there for a reason.

Even they realize the value of escaping 'diversity.'

Sadly, many of their children, and children's friends, will 'bring the ghetto and barrio' (and whatever you call the Asian and Indian 'trailer park') with them in due time.

Most of Metro Texas is like this.

But, The South is a conundrum. The closer you are to 'diversity' the more you see it's not all it's cracked up to be. Thus, the very conservative Southern States.

But, if people 'of color' start voting...lookout!
These states will turn all South Africa in an instant. That's what I think anyways.

~ Born and raised in the 'black' part of San Antonio, now witnessing NE Austin receive wave after wave of gentrification displaced black Eastsiders. I am white. Hope that last sentence doesn't get me banned here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.