Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 02:13 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner15 View Post
The TCAT is actually exceptionally extensive and living outside of the the core city would not necessarily require two cars at all. Although, two cars would be convenient. Also, as I've said, Ithaca is such a small place that, assuming they have at least one car, living in the suburbs wouldn't be too different an experience from living right on the commons unless you absolutely can't bear to drive even 10-15.

With that said, Ithaca's COL is driven up by the insanely expensive college town, which rely's on a steady supply of thousands upon thousands of well to do college students willing to pay any price necessary to live close to classes and the party seen. It's also driven up by the ritzy professor dominated areas (Philly has ritzy areas as well, but they make up a comparatively smaller portion of the city). The OP may have no interest in either of these. Their are plenty of very affordable areas right in the city of Ithaca.

One last thing to note is that I don't think OP has stated whether they lived in Philly itself or an outlying suburb. Their current situation may be a lot less urban that we assume which would make Ithaca less of a culture shock.

As far as the OP's criteria goes:

Good restaurants: Obviously New Haven will have more choices, but also more competition for any available jobs. The University dominant nature of Ithaca may mean the restaurant to available chef ratio will be more in your favor in Ithaca although this is speculation.
Education program: I can't comment
Nature: Ithaca by a landslide.
Culture: New Haven will certainly have more overall, but Ithaca punches far above it's weight so to speak. Also, judging by the initial post, they may fit in better with the general vibe of the culture and nightlife in Ithaca. Although, since New Haven is so much larger, they could certainly find their scene their as well.

Once again, I am far from impartial, but I wish the OP well in their decision.
I also think that the housing boom in Downtown Ithaca has a lot to do with the COL for the city. Many people that work there live in many of the smaller communities in Tompkins and surrounding counties too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 05:28 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:

One last thing to note is that I don't think OP has stated whether they lived in Philly itself or an outlying suburb. Their current situation may be a lot less urban that we assume which would make Ithaca less of a culture shock.
True and a good point.

I'm a bit more skeptical about the TCAT for their situation though. The OP would in theory be commuting to Cortland or Syracuse for classes, and I don't think there's bus service for that (not on TCAT anyway - I'm not sure if Cortland has bus service or if you could glom onto Greyhound). And particularly once she started doing site placements, she'd almost certainly need a car.

As for the s/o, working in food service he's probably looking at a lot of evenings and weekends. AFAIK, the last weekday bus to Dryden is at 7pm, and weekends I think there are only a couple buses total. If you were talking about someone working a typical M-F gig, the bus and 1 car would be more viable. For their situation, I'm a bit more wary.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:51 PM

404 posts, read 585,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
True and a good point.

I'm a bit more skeptical about the TCAT for their situation though. The OP would in theory be commuting to Cortland or Syracuse for classes, and I don't think there's bus service for that (not on TCAT anyway - I'm not sure if Cortland has bus service or if you could glom onto Greyhound). And particularly once she started doing site placements, she'd almost certainly need a car.

As for the s/o, working in food service he's probably looking at a lot of evenings and weekends. AFAIK, the last weekday bus to Dryden is at 7pm, and weekends I think there are only a couple buses total. If you were talking about someone working a typical M-F gig, the bus and 1 car would be more viable. For their situation, I'm a bit more wary.
Ah, I see. I assumed the OP would be doing their program in Ithaca so I wasn't thinking about the need to get to Cortland or Syracuse It definitely changes things if that is the case. Is this something that can't be done at Cornell or IC. The odd pairing of potential locations somewhat made me assume the OP intends to do the program at any Ivy. New Haven and Ithaca really don't share anything else in common.

Still though, regardless if they live in New Haven or Ithaca, they are likely going to want two cars. It's just the nature of these cities and their regions.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see. I assumed the OP would be doing their program in Ithaca so I wasn't thinking about the need to get to Cortland or Syracuse It definitely changes things if that is the case. Is this something that can't be done at Cornell or IC. The odd pairing of potential locations somewhat made me assume the OP intends to do the program at any Ivy. New Haven and Ithaca really don't share anything else in common.

Still though, regardless if they live in New Haven or Ithaca, they are likely going to want two cars. It's just the nature of these cities and their regions.
I believe that IC and Cornell have an Education Department and possibly Tompkins-Cortland Community College may have a program too. I'll have to check on that, but if that is the case, the OP could start there and possibly transfer to Cortland, Cornell or IC.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-02-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 06:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:

One car may be sufficient for both places. If one is working at Cornell or in the downtown area a car isn't necessary if you're on a bus route. Parking is rather limited on Cornell campus even for many employees.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
One car may be sufficient for both places. If one is working at Cornell or in the downtown area a car isn't necessary if you're on a bus route. Parking is rather limited on Cornell campus even for many employees.
Another interesting aspect is that there is some bus service from the bus systems in adjacent/nearby counties like Cortland Transit, CTran(Elmira/Chemung County) and I believe Tioga County too. So, those may be options if they don't mind living further out.

A town like the previously mentioned Dryden may be a good choice if the OP wants to go to the more affordable Ed program at Cortland State, as Dryden is essentially in between the 2 cities.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:43 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
I'm not sure of the status of Cornell's education program. From what I heard they closed their MAT program, which I believe was how most people used to get their certificate via Cornell - if you had to be around a 5th year anyway why not get the cert plus a masters?

Whether they have a stand-alone undergrad teaching cert, that I can't say. Nor do we know how much add'l work the OP would need to get it, nor whether they'd meet admissions criteria. Thus I tend to agree with the previous person who suggested Cortland is the most likely avenue.

Off-topic, but one of the interesting things with the Ed school at Cornell is that it's part of the 'statutory' school, Cornell being a mix of private school (liberal arts/law/hotel) and state land grant institution (Ed/veterinary/ag).

Old 06-03-2014, 11:57 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,770,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

With that said, I'm tempted to possibly make the hour drive down there in a few minutes.
Any good food tips?

Old 06-03-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Any good food tips?
To be honest, outside of ice cream at Purity or the Cornell Dairy Store and breakfast at the State Diner, the other restaurants I have been to aren't there anymore. With that said, this is a great guide: Ithaca Menus: Restaurant Menus for Ithaca Restaurants in Ithaca, NY

and another: 14850 Dining - 14850 - Ithaca News

They have a nice Farmer's Market too: Ithaca Farmers Market |

and a good coop market: GreenStar Natural Foods Market

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-03-2014 at 12:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.