Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 4,207 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

My boyfriend and I are looking into re-locating from Philly, and we've narrowed it down to two places: Ithaca, NY and New Haven, CT
I am about to visit each of them for the first time, but I could use some insight into both these towns from people who have lived there, been there, are from around there, etc.

Some of our moving criteria….

Good restaurants: My boyfriend is a chef, and will be looking for work
Education program: I am getting my teaching certification in whichever state we choose
Nature: We both like the outdoors, hiking, exploring, etc.
Culture: We would like there to be some sort of music scene / nightlife

We are also looking for a place with relatively low cost of living, and an emphasis on local foods / farm-to-table movement.

From the research, it's looking like Ithaca is a "cooler" choice. It's unique, fun, and different with the focus on nature that we're looking for. New Haven seems like a smart choice because it's in a more populated area near other towns, so there would be more access to things (big stores, hospitals, malls, entertainment, more restaurant employment) we also love new england.
This decision is really hard, that's why I'm hoping for some really good insight from you awesome folks.

So…. Please give me all the facts so I can make the best decision. Gimme everything you got.

I appreciate your help! thanks

Last edited by traveler0420; 05-28-2014 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 10:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
They're two very different places. One is a small, rather isolated city. Another is a medium sized city with easy access to the largest city in the country. Ithaca is also very university focused, which may or may not be a bad thing to you. Employment prospects will be more limited. The setting is beautiful, few places compare.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:07 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I've never been to Ithaca, but I'm somewhat familiar with New Haven. I know that the population of the Ithaca area, however, is about 30% college students. It's college students in your face everywhere you look. But the area is more relaxed and cheaper in general. It's also out in the middle of nowhere.

New Haven is on the coast, so if you like beaches and coastal culture, there you have it. New Haven also has a strong college presence. And it also has IKEA. And it's only about 1.5 hours from NYC. And maybe 2.5 hours from Boston. The nightlife is decent, too. The climate in New Haven is slightly warmer, with slightly longer summers and significantly less snow. However, it is significantly more expensive than Ithaca, but probably about the same as how it was in the Philly area.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:29 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Ithaca is safer, but smaller. It is somewhat isolated, but you have other metros/cities within an hour or so(Syracuse, Binghamton, Elmira). It is in the Finger Lakes Region. So, that may be appealing and may work for your BF. Once you establish state residency, you can get you Ed degree from SUNY-Cortland, which is about 20-30 minutes from Ithaca.

You could also look into the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area and perhaps the Saratoga Springs area for high end restaurant jobs. I believe that Skidmore College there has an Ed program. It is closer to New England with some communities having a similar vibe.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-28-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 05:00 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Neither qualifies as 'low cost of living' except by northeast or Cali standards. But they're both higher COL indexed than Philly, and from experience, I'd say that's correct.

Personally I really like Ithaca, but it's a small area. Lots of restaurants, but I'd wager also pretty stiff competition for the jobs that are there. And honestly, Binghamton/Elmira (particularly Elmira) aren't exactly 'destination cities.' Syracuse...ok. During the year the college kids certainly are a force, but I do think it's one of the nicer places to live in the summer. Still, I'd be leery of moving there without a job in hand.

I'd also suggest looking into how Cortland does with job placement for students in your program. They have a few decent programs, but they're not exactly the crown jewel of the SUNY system.

As for New Haven...well, I don't love it. Or CT generally. It's higher cost of living, similar traffic... Why are you wanting to leave Philly exactly? Unless you're going to Yale, I'd tend to see New Haven as a downgrade.

From what you'd described, unless you've ruled out MA, I'd look at the Pioneer Valley over New Haven.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:12 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
CT is one of the most beautiful states in the U.S., but the New Haven area is a but rushed feeling, since it's connected to NYC.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Neither qualifies as 'low cost of living' except by northeast or Cali standards. But they're both higher COL indexed than Philly, and from experience, I'd say that's correct.

Personally I really like Ithaca, but it's a small area. Lots of restaurants, but I'd wager also pretty stiff competition for the jobs that are there. And honestly, Binghamton/Elmira (particularly Elmira) aren't exactly 'destination cities.' Syracuse...ok. During the year the college kids certainly are a force, but I do think it's one of the nicer places to live in the summer. Still, I'd be leery of moving there without a job in hand.

I'd also suggest looking into how Cortland does with job placement for students in your program. They have a few decent programs, but they're not exactly the crown jewel of the SUNY system.

As for New Haven...well, I don't love it. Or CT generally. It's higher cost of living, similar traffic... Why are you wanting to leave Philly exactly? Unless you're going to Yale, I'd tend to see New Haven as a downgrade.

From what you'd described, unless you've ruled out MA, I'd look at the Pioneer Valley over New Haven.
Actually, Ithaca is just above the national average in overall COL. Its location in the Finger Lakes allows for access to nice, quaint communities in that region.

Like all of the SUNY Colleges, they tend to have an emphasis on producing teachers, but placement may be an issue due to the pool and not because of Cortland's status within the SUNY system. Here's information on SUNY-Cortland's Education Program: School of Education - SUNY Cortland

As for jobs, let's just say that the OP has already been put on to some for the BF.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-29-2014 at 06:20 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 10:59 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, Ithaca is just above the national average in overall COL. Its location in the Finger Lakes allows for access to nice, quaint communities in that region.
That's true. But it's still higher COL than Philly with a smaller pool of available jobs. That said, if he nails something down in advance they can live on, then certainly I think Ithaca is a nice option, particularly for a couple presumably in their 20s - early 30s.

Tons of nice, romantic places to walk in town and nearby - parks/waterfalls/arboretum, etc. Free outdoor concerts in the summer, cute downtown with pretty good dining... farmer's market or pickup soccer on the waterfront, sailing on the lake at dusk.

Now I regret ever leaving!

I actually came really close to moving back a few years ago but just couldn't make it work.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
That's true. But it's still higher COL than Philly with a smaller pool of available jobs. That said, if he nails something down in advance they can live on, then certainly I think Ithaca is a nice option, particularly for a couple presumably in their 20s - early 30s.

Tons of nice, romantic places to walk in town and nearby - parks/waterfalls/arboretum, etc. Free outdoor concerts in the summer, cute downtown with pretty good dining... farmer's market or pickup soccer on the waterfront, sailing on the lake at dusk.

Now I regret ever leaving!

I actually came really close to moving back a few years ago but just couldn't make it work.
Ithaca does not have a higher COL than Philly. That is incorrect: Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf

With that said, I'm tempted to possibly make the hour drive down there in a few minutes.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Ithaca does not have a higher COL than Philly. That is incorrect: Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...s/download.pdf

With that said, I'm tempted to possibly make the hour drive down there in a few minutes.
I've heard some say rents are higher than Philly. Likely the high rents are right near Cornell campus, espeically in and around Collegetown, where the OP probably would have no interest in living. The most interesting area of Ithaca to live in, near the Commons, mostly doesn't have that high rents. Go west of the commons away from Cornell and it becomes cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.