Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,909 times

Advertisements

Sorry a Fitter here in Australia is also know as a Diesel Mechanic, or a Fitter and Turner.
Basically he rebuilds, maintains and repairs mining equipment, both on the surface and underground.

It doesn't mean he MUST work in the mining industry, his trade can have him building, repairing and maintaining any machinery, tractors, excavators, plant machinery...

Work in our area at the moment is non existent, I don't know what the statistic pages tell, but I know each day in my area jobs are being cut in all industries by the 100's each day.

We just loved America, the people there are nothing like Australians, in my opinion we are a rude bunch!

We have just seen and heard of so many opportunities over there, but with the replies I am beginning to think we might have been off a little....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaandBrad View Post
Sorry a Fitter here in Australia is also know as a Diesel Mechanic, or a Fitter and Turner.
Basically he rebuilds, maintains and repairs mining equipment, both on the surface and underground.

It doesn't mean he MUST work in the mining industry, his trade can have him building, repairing and maintaining any machinery, tractors, excavators, plant machinery...

Work in our area at the moment is non existent, I don't know what the statistic pages tell, but I know each day in my area jobs are being cut in all industries by the 100's each day.

We just loved America, the people there are nothing like Australians, in my opinion we are a rude bunch!

We have just seen and heard of so many opportunities over there, but with the replies I am beginning to think we might have been off a little....
Almost all jobs are listed on the web somewhere. Instead of taking guesses from people here who are not in the industry, I would suggest you just start sending test applications and see what happens.

I would also suggest looking to see what u.s. certifications are required and start prepping for them.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:36 PM

190 posts, read 276,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaandBrad View Post
I wouldn't let the negative folks here get to you.

I don't know if this will be the most helpful forum for you though. If there is some sort of equivalent Australian forum with an ex-pat section, you might find more help. I know that many Australians often end up traveling/living overseas, so I'm sure there are some that can help you more with cultural differences, visa issues etc.

And I don't think the States are any worse off than many other Western countries. There are plenty of opportunities here for y'all.

It's hard to generalize the whole country, so once you find out a little bit more about what you're looking for (like urban, suburban, rural -- East Coast, South, West Coast, Midwest -- etc), I'm sure people would be willing to help. That changes everything when it comes to weather, culture, job opportunities, and cost of living.

Best of luck!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:09 AM

62 posts, read 83,622 times
Hello,
I see plenty of people coming to work in the USA from Australia. They are mostly split between L1 and E2, younger age J1 Visa.

As I tell the Australians it is so easy to migrate from Australia to USA, much harder from USA to Australia. I was in Sydney in Many and did NOT want to return to USA. If I lived in Australia,,I would not want live in the USA.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:44 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
OP, I would focus your search in the Right to Work states. These are the states in which it is not compulsary to belong to a union in order to work. Manufacturing companies tend to be expanding in these states and contracting in the forced-unionization states, so the opportunities for a tradesman would likely be better in them.

These are the Right to Work states:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho,
Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi,
Nebraska, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina,
South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming

Michigan is kind of an outlier on this list. Their industrial economy has been contracting for decades, and in fact I believe it was one of only two states to lose population between the censuses of 2000 and 2010. (The other was Louisiana, due in large part to the out-migration caused by Hurricane Katrina.) Michigan implemented Right to Work in 2012.

I hope you didn't have your heart set on the Northeast, because there isn't a single Right to Work state north of Virginia or east of Indiana. Likewise, you'll notice that the West Coast states (California, Oregon, Washington, also including Alaska and Hawaii) aren't on the list either. This is not to say that it's impossible to find work in those states, only that it probably would be more difficult.

South Dakota is currently booming due to fracking, so I would think that would be a good place for your husband to start looking. Some other states are also getting in on it too.

Don't get discouraged by the negative comments. While it's true that our economy is not what it once was, I do still believe that there are many opportunities available here. Good luck to you.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:06 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
You can also use that list to avoid those states and join a good trade union elsewhere in a state that cares about worker's rights.

NORTH Dakota is the state that's booming due to fracking, a distinction that probably seems minute everywhere outside the Dakotas, but it's still important to note.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:38 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
You did not specify which part of "America" you visited. Certainly you grasp how many completely different areas there are here.

What is important to you besides just getting jobs? Ask yourselves where you are on these questions:

Affordability, including real estate prices and taxes? Weather and climate? Government and politics? Cities-vs-towns-vs-suburbs-vs-rural? Types of people? Crime rate? Good public schools? Transportation? These are major concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.