Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 05:07 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Let me say again, telling anyone, man or woman to CHANGE who she is to catch the right spouse is some of the worst relationship advice I have ever heard.

This kind of advice would send anyone to divorce court. If the man you love and desire does not love and desire the person you genuinely are, then he is not the right man for you. Changing who you are to fit what HE wants, will be disastrous.
You missed my original premise that says that the woman creates the man that she wants in her mind before she works to be the woman he wants. Over your head and entirely different from what you're saying. You completely misunderstand and what you're saying I'm saying, is wrong.

For instance, if she is 300 pounds, 42, with a horrible diet, bad breath, and gas, and she wants a man who is slender, athletic, handsome, and successful, she's going to have problems.

I'll help you understand though. I'm here for you. Keep trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Let me say again, telling anyone, man or woman to CHANGE who she is to catch the right spouse is some of the worst relationship advice I have ever heard.

This kind of advice would send anyone to divorce court. If the man you love and desire does not love and desire the person you genuinely are, then he is not the right man for you. Changing who you are to fit what HE wants, will be disastrous.
So if a woman has compulsive tendencies that led to alienation in her previous relationships, am I understanding this correctly that you think she should not seek to remedy this disruptive trait as she moves forward in finding another mate?

By your rationale, which is in response to a complete misinterpretation of my statements, she is likely to continue the pattern.

Help me understand what you're trying to do here. Your blanket statement is great for rep points but it completely misses my point.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 12-16-2007 at 06:45 AM..

Old 12-16-2007, 06:20 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Just move wherever you damn well like and you'll be fine. If you like where you live and you like what you do, you're more likely to attract a mate. There's nothing more attractive than a confident woman.

And what good would it do to move someplace you hate, just because you thought it was a good place to find a man? The odds are that in the end you'll hate the place so much you'll leave him anyway.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:16 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Great advice guys!!!

Plus this is going to be harder for me because I haven't dated in 8 years and I think guys want a younger woman.

No, if you're not too fussy there are many lonely guys out there - like widowers. My friend is over 70 and just hooked up with a man (she wasn't looking - her priest told her the guy was lonely) and found out he owns a well-known store around her.

Oh, and Normie is right on! Read well what he says because it works.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:11 AM

For instance, if she is 300 pounds, 42, with a horrible diet, bad breath, and gas, and she wants a man who is slender, athletic, handsome, and successful, she's going to have problems.

Oh, please. That's really reaching. I am sure the OP is none of this, and this advice would not apply to the majority of people. I also interpreted you as saying a woman should have an image and then make herself over. No way, man. The guy accepts her as she is or forget it.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:02 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
Roma, why don't you stay where you are but move closer to the larger cities?

Old 12-18-2007, 10:38 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
I don't buy either the "all the good men are taken" thing and I also don't buy the "only younger women" get the dates and the guys. I have always found an available pool of quality men to date even in my late 40s which is very pleasing. The older men I have met often seem more stable too, have a relationship behind them, more stable financially and emotionally, and most importantly many are clearer in knowing what they want. The important thing is you see yourself as a quality woman with much to offer a relationship. Appreciate and be aware of your many good qualities. It sounds like you are wanting a family, does it have to be your own birth children, or are you open to being with someone who has child/ren of his own and/or adding to them? That gives you a bigger pool to pick from, because the single parents I know who are dating are absolutely THRILLED (both men and women) to meet people willing to welcome their children into the family and relationship. Another selling point for you if that is the case.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post

Oh, please. That's really reaching. I am sure the OP is none of this, and this advice would not apply to the majority of people. I also interpreted you as saying a woman should have an image and then make herself over. No way, man. The guy accepts her as she is or forget it.
The same goes for men. If a man wants to find someone that he is likely to be happy with, he must envison who that might be, then take a look at himself to see if he is worthy of such a woman. If his standards are high, then if he knows that he has some flaw that led to previous problems in elationships, then he has to attempt to rectify or improve on this relationship-injuring aspect to give his relationship with this new woman a chance. He has to change. For instance, if he's an alcoholic and this led to his divorce, then if he wants someone good, he's going to have to deal with the alcoholism before he ventures out. He must change. If he doesn't, he either won't find the woman he wants, or if he does find her, she won't want him in that condition.

So it applies to men too. Of course I'm right. Divorces are happening at an alarming rate, dating services are necessary now because this type of self-evaluation and fine-tuning is NOT happening. This type of self-analysis to discover just what type of person does the person you want, want, is critical.

This of course goes way over your head. You're still stuck in the incredibly simplistic view that "hell, if he don't take me just the way I am, I don't need him." Well, if you're fat and bossy, you're going to have to change if you expect to get someone who is suitable, loyal, and likely to result in a long-lasting harmonious relationship.

You sound incredibly naive and you don't have a clue.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 PM

Of course I'm right
Ha ha! If we have any doubts, just ask you! Your whole thread made me roar. Thanks for making my day. I've never had to change anything and have had my share of quality attention. Sounds like you might have some issues -- all hung up on fat and alchoholism which is way beside the point. I doubt the OP has those problems i.e. so your response is of no help.

Last edited by Lillietta; 12-18-2007 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-18-2007, 03:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,271,330 times
Calm down everyone, please. We attack ideas here, not each other. Several personal attacks have been removed from this thread. If more are posted, it will be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.