Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM

1,802 posts, read 1,951,123 times

Advertisements

Whenever you visit a resort area, whether at a beach, lake, ski resort, or some other getaway, you can tell that some of the items sold at gift shops or the chains that are provided along with the cuisine, license plates, and even the media coverage show some cultural sphere of influence. It sometimes mainly appeals to one region, but it can also appeal to many. That said, I was in Wildwood, NJ Saturday. From the cuisine and sports memorabilia that was posted, its clear that the Philadelphia region had the largest sphere of influence, followed by North Jersey/NYC, with the DC/Baltimore region's sphere nearly non-existant (I did see one crab house on Route 47 in those marshlands before you enter the resort area). Meanwhile, in Delaware (Lewes/Rehobeth), it's more mixed between DC, Baltimore, and Philly with a miniscule amount coming from NYC, Pittsburgh, and the rest of the country. Ocean City, MD is mainly Baltimore with a side of DC. Please add any other destinations to see where the bulk of the "locals" come from to have their regular vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 12:17 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,609 times
Door County, WI (where I grew up) is about as far northeast as you can get in Wisconsin, but the "culture" is strongly slanted towards Chicago (4-5 hours away), followed by Milwaukee and then Minneapolis/St Louis/Detroit.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:54 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,287 times
For the Charleston area, I'd say that the majority of our vacationers come from the Columbia, Greenville-Spartanburg and Charlotte areas. Folly Beach is filled with people from those areas. Next are folks from Ohio and West Virginia (especially Cincinnati and the southwestern part of state).

After that is probably people from Georgia. Charleston has a lot of Harris Teeters (a Charlotte based grocery store), plus Bojangles and Cook-Out (popular in NC). The culture is largely our own, but Charlotte is 2nd.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:31 AM

630 posts, read 1,264,885 times
The Florida Panhandle beaches like Destin and Panama City always have a lot of Georgia license plates on the cars, specifically from counties like Gwinnett, Fulton and Cobb so I'd say Metro Atlanta people are the most frequent tourists, but I also see a ton of plates from Alabama, TN and even some Midwestern states like Indiana and Ohio.

Another popular getaway for Metro Atlantans would be North Georgia and Western North Carolina, although once you get closer to Asheville I would say Charlotte has greater influence on the region.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Whenever you visit a resort area, whether at a beach, lake, ski resort, or some other getaway, you can tell that some of the items sold at gift shops or the chains that are provided along with the cuisine, license plates, and even the media coverage show some cultural sphere of influence. It sometimes mainly appeals to one region, but it can also appeal to many. That said, I was in Wildwood, NJ Saturday. From the cuisine and sports memorabilia that was posted, its clear that the Philadelphia region had the largest sphere of influence, followed by North Jersey/NYC, with the DC/Baltimore region's sphere nearly non-existant (I did see one crab house on Route 47 in those marshlands before you enter the resort area). Meanwhile, in Delaware (Lewes/Rehobeth), it's more mixed between DC, Baltimore, and Philly with a miniscule amount coming from NYC, Pittsburgh, and the rest of the country. Ocean City, MD is mainly Baltimore with a side of DC. Please add any other destinations to see where the bulk of the "locals" come from to have their regular vacations.
NJ Beach towns are basically split down the middle - Everything from AC (Well really Brigantine but you have go through AC to get north to Brigantine) to Cape May is dominated by Philly influence. LBI falls slightly more North Jersey/NYC but the one sort of grey beach (not as well singularly defined) compared to others. And All points north of LBI are N Jersey/NYC influenced. Easiest way to tell in the summer is see what game is on the back TV - if its the Mets or Yanks the area (and remainder of TV are the Phillies) is Philly or vice-versa

I have noted more blending all along the Jersey shore in the last 15 years but still the North/South divide at (down as we say in Philly not reference in NYC generally) the Jersey shore is NYC and Philly respectively

Also the other sort of ironic part is most N Jersey Beaches are actually closer to Philly than are the influenced southern beaches. Example I can get to Asbury Park (Almost directly east (a tad north) in 70 minutes from Center City - Wildwood is nearly 2 hours (and nearly as far south as the DC Beltway and south of the inner Harbor in Baltimore)

Last edited by kidphilly; 06-12-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 04:16 PM

76 posts, read 139,795 times
Cape Cod is solidly Boston, but there is a significant presence of New Yorkers (and plenty of people from Connecticut who like NY sports teams). Same goes for Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket I assume.

The Maine coast is solidly Boston as well, but there is allegedly a historic presence of Philadelphians, in addition to the ubiquitous New Yorkers. (They're everywhere!)

It is tough to judge these areas (Maine, The Cape and Islands) based on sports teams alone, because the locals overwhelmingly support the Sox, Pats, Cs, and Bs.

This winter I visited Lake Placid for the first time and noticed that although the touristy stores mostly sold NYC area sports stuff, they also had a few token Boston and Montreal jerseys/shirts.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM

275 posts, read 455,301 times
Myrtle Beach is half Ohioan anymore, it seems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.