Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:41 PM

142 posts, read 120,739 times

Advertisements

Every single movie i see that features small town or country has something negative to say about this life style. Its either someone saying casually that they trying to "escape this life style" or there's some horror going on and there's no one around for miles to help.

Is this just me or someone in hollywood wants people to think country life sucks? Why they doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Maybe you don't pay attention to other movies but there are many lines or plots which do the same to big cities.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:25 PM

My point was about small towns and country.

Violence and high crime rate is normal or big cities so not much exaggeration in movies about it.

I'd agree with you if they point out in big city moves that people should run from big cities into small towns and country, yet this message is never seen by me yet, just the opposite.

Guss they teach you that you should only care about econimcs, if small towns have no big bucks then pack up and go... There aren't any other values in live...

Old 06-12-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrovich View Post
My point was about small towns and country.

Violence and high crime rate is normal or big cities so not much exaggeration in movies about it.

I'd agree with you if they point out in big city moves that people should run from big cities into small towns and country, yet this message is never seen by me yet, just the opposite.

Guss they teach you that you should only care about econimcs, if small towns have no big bucks then pack up and go... There aren't any other values in live...
So this is really a personal thing for you..

Violence is not normal in big cities, it's normal everywhere. Small towns have murders and high drug use.

They do point out that part about big cities, you just seem to have rose colored glasses on.

Ok?

Old 06-14-2014, 01:14 AM

I think you getting angry and defensive.

You really believe that crime rate in Los Angeles or New York is same as in small town?

There are much more criminals per square mile in big cities.

More poor not self sustainable people who turn to criminals as well.

Anyway crime rate is not main topic here. They discredit small towns in every way possible.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:40 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,481 times
Quote:

You really believe that crime rate in Los Angeles or New York is same as in small town?

Anyway crime rate is not main topic here. They discredit small towns in every way possible.
Of course there's more criminals per square mile in big cities. There's also more people people per square mile in general. That means there's more kids, parents, doctors, nurses, lawyers, teachers, sports players, musicians, etc. per square mile. There's more of everyone, so of course there will e more criminals. But that also means there will be more police officers.

And you don't think there aren't poor, non-self sustainable folks in the country?

One last thing-don't complain about dying small towns as people caring only for "economics" and nothing else. The people that move have lives to live, and probably children to raise, and find better opportunities to live a comfortable life in cities and their suburbs than the country. They will live wherever they can find the best quality of life, and like it or not, they don't find that in the country. You wouldn't rather them stay in a country town with a low paying job (or no job at all) and become "poor and non-self sustainable", would you?

Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:

Obviously you haven't been to enough small towns. There are also more doctors, lawyers, millionaires, etc in big cities. I don't see your point.

The country probably has higher poverty rates than most cities.

No they don't, you have on rose colored glasses and obviously don't watch many movies either.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:56 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I kind of get what the OP is saying as there is a tendency by some on either coasts (namely NYC or LA's entertainment industry) to portray "flyover country" in a somewhat one dimensional manner. I would just attribute it to ignorance and move on as changing it isn't likely from outside their bubbles.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:11 AM

Then I would suggest watching the other millions of movies that aren't feature films that exist in this world.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:14 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times
Whether movies have influenced my perception of small towns, but as far as I know every small town I've passed thru has led to sightings of bored kids shooting up, screaming profanities, completely stuck in a rut.

Kids behave bad everywhere, but there are startling parallels between small towns and inner cities (high drug use, high teen pregnancy rates, delinquency etc). Whites in small towns have more similarities to Blacks in the 'hood than is often realized is what I'm trying to get at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.