Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 12:11 PM

284 posts, read 641,009 times

Advertisements

virginia
Massachusetts
new york
Pennsylvania
south Carolina
Maryland
Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
virginia
Massachusetts
new york
Pennsylvania
south Carolina
Maryland
Ohio
tough one

I do think MA/NY/PA/VA would probably be in the running and among the top 4

MD is also the next likely and actually NJ has more history (esp if you go back to the countries inception and prior)

Some others like SC, GA, LA have a lot of interesting longer term US history

TX and CA would have a ton if you included Mexican aspects

If I were forced to rank I would put a 3 way tie with VA/PA/MA (IMHO an argument could legitmately be made for any of these three)

Followed by NY

Here is some list on 25 most important battles - but one aspect really (many on this list are outside the US)

The Most Important Battles in US History

Interetsingly this is a top 10 events/battles in the world with two from VA (not sure I agree with any of these lists in total just some info to chew one)

The History Place - Top Ten Battles of All Time

Another list (or more lists)

Top 10 Important Events in US History - Listverse

LAPL Teen Web | Homework Help Sites | Important Dates in American History

Chronology of Important Events in American History

Old 06-12-2014, 01:25 PM

68 posts, read 109,894 times
VA and SC's history is much different than the rest

Old 06-12-2014, 03:00 PM

76 posts, read 139,741 times
I agree with kidphilly that it's between MA, PA, and VA. At least when it comes to American history. The history of this country, and the colonies that originally formed it. Obviously all of the country is rich in history in some way or another. CA, NM, and TX have fascinating Spanish history. The midwest has French history. The whole country has native history.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchucker View Post
I agree with kidphilly that it's between MA, PA, and VA. At least when it comes to American history. The history of this country, and the colonies that originally formed it. Obviously all of the country is rich in history in some way or another. CA, NM, and TX have fascinating Spanish history. The midwest has French history. The whole country has native history.
what is also interesting to me is that if you take these three states and sort of their contribution you in many ways get the great American experiment that evolved based on their early settlements and foundational values (over-simplified here)

MA - Puritanism - Hard working/Industrious
PA - Quaker - Tolerance/Freedom/Rights
VA - Powerful Land Owners - Capitalist/Entrepreneurialism

to me they may be the three pillars of what the american experiments continues to strive for

NYC - through extension NY state was the place that looked to operationalize the ethos in a sense

Just a random thought but the idea/notion popped in my head in reading your response and the above is way over-simplified but to me sort makes sense in looking at the history and influence of our founding - obviously many other states contributed as well

Last edited by kidphilly; 06-12-2014 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: added word "that"

Old 06-12-2014, 04:10 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,949,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
virginia
Massachusetts
new york
Pennsylvania
south Carolina
Maryland
Ohio

Every one of the states listed is rich in history. Who can say who has the most?

Old 06-12-2014, 04:28 PM

76 posts, read 139,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
what is also interesting to me is that if you take these three states and sort of their contribution you in many ways get the great American experiment that evolved based on their early settlements and foundational values (over-simplified here)

MA - Puritanism - Hard working/Industrious
PA - Quaker - Tolerance/Freedom/Rights
VA - Powerful Land Owners - Capitalist/Entrepreneurialism

to me they may be the three pillars of what the american experiments continues to strive for

NYC - through extension NY state was the place a place looked to operationalize the ethos in a sense

Just a random thought but the idea/notion popped in my head in reading your response and the above is way over-simplified but to me sort makes sense in looking at the history and influence of our founding - obviously many other states contributed as well
I totally agree and have thought about that idea before, although I'm not sure I would have been able to explain it. Those values are definitely reflected in the original English settlements of each area. Jamestown was a capitalist venture to grow tobacco. Plymouth was a settlement of dutiful religious folk. And Penn's Quaker settlement was founded on the idea of tolerance.

Those values could be extended to New England, Mid-Atlantic, and the South too. Although New York was a bit different from PA, having been a Dutch colony. I like the idea that NYC is where the values all mixed. Hard working like New England, Tolerant like Pennsylvania, and Entrepreneurs like the South.

Last edited by Woodchucker; 06-12-2014 at 04:37 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I totally agree and have thought about that idea before, although I'm not sure I would have been able to explain it. Those values are definitely reflected in the original English settlements of each area. Jamestown was a capitalist venture to grow tobacco. Plymouth was a settlement of dutiful religious folk. And Penn's Quaker settlement was founded on the idea of tolerance.

Those values could be extended to New England, Mid-Atlantic, and the South too. Although New York was a bit different from PA, having been a Dutch colony. I like the idea that NYC is where the values all mixed. Hard working like New England, Tolerant like Pennsylvania, and Entrepreneurs like the South.
well reading your response somehow brought the idea to me. Great minds think a like is all I can say...

Old 06-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:

Also taking this one step further if you look at the cities from these states most dominant at the time (Boston, Philadelphia, and Richmond (and NYC)) there is still a remanant identity that is still manifested even from an economic standpoint

Boston - Insular and Industrious - over performing economically
Philadelphia - Conservative yet tolerant - economically just chugs along
Richmond - More routed in old money to an extent (though in recent times is outshined by NOVA and the DC political influence and never grew industrially like Boston or Philly) more haves and have nots

NYC - took aspects of the three identities and made itself into the world economic/cultural powerhouse (in some ways like America)

CA and Texas may be more recent examples to embrace and exemplify the three ethos aspects (Chicago also to lessor extent and Detroit interestingly missed the culmination of the three in a sense and more mirrors the decline of Richmond in some ways)

Again just a random thought - but interesting to examine and explore

It would be interesting to try and extrapolate the ethos values of these three to modern day cities in some ways

Seattle (60% Boston, 25% Philly, and 15% Richmond)
LA (50% Philly, 25% Boston and 25% Richmond)
SF (40% Boston, 35% Philly, 25% Richmond)
Chicago (45% Philly, 35% Richmond, 20% Boston)

Top of mind without a ton of thought

NYC would probably be the closest to a third a third a third...

Last edited by kidphilly; 06-12-2014 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.