Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 04:17 AM

1 posts, read 729 times

Advertisements

I am a USC currently living in Australia for work. I hate it out here and want to move back to the US ASAP with my pregnant wife. I have no idea what state we should go to so I was looking for some advice and was hoping you could suggest some states to look into and specific cities. We have some needs/wants that I have outlined below to help you with my search:

* Cost of Living: We're not that wealthy so an area that has a lower to mid-range CoL is what we're am looking for. I am looking for a spacious property and my wife and I are expecting twins.

* Crime: Low crime if possible obviously. No really high crime cities (e.g. Detroit, Baltimore) but we can tolerate anything else.

* Hobbies: I am a HUGE sports fan. I love football and baseball the most but also enjoy NHL, NBA, MLS and, of course, college sports (crazy college sports fan). I am also a keen golfer and would like the state/city we move to to have a lovely plush golf course that is affordable. My wife likes jogging in the evening so a safe city park/area to jog is a plus.

* Weather: NO SNOW. Hate the snow, so a state that has no snow - or only a few days of the year - is a must. We love the heat (humidity over dry heat) and like to spend out free time relaxing in the garden reading, conversing or listening to music so a humid heat climate is what we want weatherwise.

* Other: We're conservative politically. Not absurdly so, probably more moderate than anything, and we're irreligious - my wife was brought up a Christian but doesn't really go to church anymore. We don't want to go somewhere where we will be ostracised for our religious, or lack of, religious beliefs. A city near other big cities is a positive and we don't want to be too far away from the beach or a nice spot, like a lake, to enjoy relaxing by.

Any ideas where we should plan on moving?

Thanks,
John and Carla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 05:16 AM

27,205 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Given all of your criteria I would recommend the Atlanta area. The cost of living is on the low side for a major city, crime is lower in many of it's suburbs, it's a good sports town with the NFL, MLB, NBA, a new MLS team arriving and Georgia Tech athletics, has plenty of affordable golfing opportunity, the climate you're after with basically no snow and a temperate climate with humidity, fairly conservative in general (like old school Democratic) and despite it's Southern location not overtly religious due to all of the transplants from all over the US/World. Check out the suburbs of Roswell, Alpharetta, Duluth, Sandy Spring and Marietta.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:24 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
I'm thinking that any of the NC metropolitan areas (Charlotte, Triad, Triangle) might be a good fit as well.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:15 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,832 times
Maybe Columbus? Low CoL, reasonably low crime, NHL team in town and a basketball and two football and baseball teams about 2 hrs away (in Cincinnati and Cleveland), and Ohio State sports just nearby, which are a huge deal there and are fun to watch. It's also close to other big cities as I mentioned, and Lake Erie. And the political climate is moderate and open enough that you and your wife could get along fine. It sounds like it fits well.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:22 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Dallas and Houston come to mind, as they fit most, if not all of the criteria. Phoenix may also work as well. Sleepers may be Oklahoma City and Nashville.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:34 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny 99 View Post
I am a USC currently living in Australia for work. I hate it out here and want to move back to the US ASAP with my pregnant wife. I have no idea what state we should go to so I was looking for some advice and was hoping you could suggest some states to look into and specific cities. We have some needs/wants that I have outlined below to help you with my search:

* Cost of Living: We're not that wealthy so an area that has a lower to mid-range CoL is what we're am looking for. I am looking for a spacious property and my wife and I are expecting twins.

* Crime: Low crime if possible obviously. No really high crime cities (e.g. Detroit, Baltimore) but we can tolerate anything else.

* Hobbies: I am a HUGE sports fan. I love football and baseball the most but also enjoy NHL, NBA, MLS and, of course, college sports (crazy college sports fan). I am also a keen golfer and would like the state/city we move to to have a lovely plush golf course that is affordable. My wife likes jogging in the evening so a safe city park/area to jog is a plus.

* Weather: NO SNOW. Hate the snow, so a state that has no snow - or only a few days of the year - is a must. We love the heat (humidity over dry heat) and like to spend out free time relaxing in the garden reading, conversing or listening to music so a humid heat climate is what we want weatherwise.

* Other: We're conservative politically. Not absurdly so, probably more moderate than anything, and we're irreligious - my wife was brought up a Christian but doesn't really go to church anymore. We don't want to go somewhere where we will be ostracised for our religious, or lack of, religious beliefs. A city near other big cities is a positive and we don't want to be too far away from the beach or a nice spot, like a lake, to enjoy relaxing by.

Any ideas where we should plan on moving?

Thanks,
John and Carla
Phoenix, Phoenix, Phoenix ... that place ticks all of the boxes.

I'd also look at the Texas cities (Dallas and/or Houston) for other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.