Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,612 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have lived in South Carolina for all of my 25 years. Every year I lament about the heat and humidity. It was about 97 yesterday and it's only the middle of June. I have never been able to handle heat very well and I also don't like to spend a whole lot of time in the sun. I've decided to start looking across the country for a new place to call home. I don't know where to start!

I have a few requirements:
Very mild summer and low humidity; temps that rarely exceed the mid 70's.
Mild winter; I'm not used to much snow. I don't mind cold temperatures though.
Natural disasters that are few and far between.
Somewhere a vegetable garden can be easily grown.
A decent job market.
Low crime rate.
Not super conservative.

Does this sound like anything you know of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times
West Coast.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
West Coast.
Between Oregon and Washington, which would you recommend?

Old 06-19-2014, 04:00 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Instead of the Pacific Northwest, I'd actually recommend Northern California, specifically the area along the 101 stretching from Petaluma in the south to Healdsburg in the north plus Sonoma and Napa to the east. IMO, this is one of the most beautiful regions of the United States with warmer, drier, and sunnier winters than most, if not all, of the Pacific Northwest.

Santa Rosa in particular seems to have everything you're looking, up to and including mild summers with little to no humidity; mild winters with virtually no snow/ice; hardly any weather-related natural disasters; a long growing season; generally low crime; and a decent enough economy.

Santa Rosa has a West Coast vibe--very casual; polite; open-minded; tolerant, even if not approving; and although people can seem aloof, they're usually pleasant if you talk first. No one cares what religion you are, and people revere nature. Most people in the area shop/cook/eat healthily/organically and lead active/fitness-oriented lifestyles.

Santa Rosa has a cute little downtown with some nice restaurants. In fact, Food Network personality Guy Fieri and his family make their home in the Santa Rosa area, and Guy owns and operates Tex Wasabi's, a popular restaurant in downtown Santa Rosa. For a small town, Santa Rosa offers quite an assortment of different cuisine due to the presence of many different cultures residing in the area, although this is fairly typical of California.

You can travel to the Bay Area on occasion for things you really need, which is only a little over an hour away, depending on traffic. Sonoma and the Wine Country are nearby, although there are quite a few wineries and breweries in and around Santa Rosa. Annadel State Park and Spring Lake are right in town with the Russian River, Lake Sonoma, Point Reyes, and Bodega Bay all within short driving distance. My God, what a beautiful area.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:30 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
Have you considered Midwestern cities such as Omaha or Des Moines? They're not "hip" like the West Coast, and yes, there is *some* heat and humidity in the summer, but the summers are considerably shorter than those in the Southeast and the humidity is a touch more bearable. Your typical summer day is probably 75-85 degrees for a high, though it *can* creep into the 90s for a few days (rarely for long periods unlike the South). It gets cold in the lower Midwest, but not as bad as most of Minnesota or Michigan. Highs are around 30-35 (40 if you're lucky), lows often below freezing. There is the annual tornado threat, but it's not like it's Oklahoma or north Texas. The job market is about as good as any in the country, and while they won't pay like they would out in Seattle or the Bay Area, the cost of living is low - even lower than most of the South. Politically, they're moderate (Omaha leans ever-so-slightly to the right mainly due to the presence of Offutt Air Force base, Des Moines leans just a little bit to the left) so maybe that's what you're looking for. The soil is some of the most fertile in the country so you can grow just any vegetable. Crime is low in both cities.

This is the time of year to take a trip to check out both cities. I can't say for sure that either of them are for you, but it's certainly an alternative to the West Coast.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:38 PM

462 posts, read 720,407 times
i don't know if this helps, but this map shows the average annual temperature across the US.

File:Average Annual High Temperature of the United States.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

more maps here:
NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - NOAA: Summer Temperature Below Average for U.S.

Coastal California is climate-controlled, as mentioned. Most places can get pretty hot in the summer, but it's nothing like what you experience with humidity. I liked summers in the Rockies, even though temperatures can get into the 90s. If you don't mind very cold winters, the upper midwest is an option.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:47 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
i don't know if this helps, but this map shows the average annual temperature across the US.

File:Average Annual High Temperature of the United States.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

more maps here:
NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - NOAA: Summer Temperature Below Average for U.S.

Coastal California is climate-controlled, as mentioned. Most places can get pretty hot in the summer, but it's nothing like what you experience with humidity. I liked summers in the Rockies, even though temperatures can get into the 90s. If you don't mind very cold winters, the upper midwest is an option.
I was thinking of Madison WI as an option, but I didn't know if its winters would be an issue.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:20 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Maine. nah lol. Nebraska.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:43 PM

148 posts, read 276,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post

more maps here:

Great idea, but I don't think the Avg. Annual High temp would work out too well in the areas due to winter high temperatures misrepresenting the summer high temp averages. Cool map though.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:11 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenducky View Post
Hello all,
I have lived in South Carolina for all of my 25 years. Every year I lament about the heat and humidity. It was about 97 yesterday and it's only the middle of June. I have never been able to handle heat very well and I also don't like to spend a whole lot of time in the sun. I've decided to start looking across the country for a new place to call home. I don't know where to start!

I have a few requirements:
Very mild summer and low humidity; temps that rarely exceed the mid 70's.
Mild winter; I'm not used to much snow. I don't mind cold temperatures though.
Natural disasters that are few and far between.
Somewhere a vegetable garden can be easily grown.
A decent job market.
Low crime rate.
Not super conservative.

Does this sound like anything you know of?
If you don't plan on living on the immediate West Coast, then you're going to have to sacrifice something. Anyplace else that's mild with low humidity during the summer is going to be very cold during the winter. Anyplace else that's mild during the winter without much snow is going to be very hot during the summer. Anyplace else that fits either of these criteria is more than likely located in the Great Plains, where tornadoes and blizzards are common.

Aside from the immediate West Coast, the closest you're going to get is in the upper Midwest and the northern Great Plains, specifically Minnesota, Iowa, the Dakotas and Nebraska. The economies in all those states are relatively healthy; crime rates are low even in the cities, and they all tend to be politically moderate to libertarian. Summers in those states are relatively mild, and heat waves tend to be short-lived and involve a more "dry" heat than anywhere east of the Mississippi River. The big trade-off, as I said, is the risk of tornadoes and blizzards. Also, the farther north you go, the longer winter lasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.