U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 08:03 PM

1,746 posts, read 1,310,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Oh c'mon, this is such a disingenuous take. The Chicago of GERMANY would be Hamburg.... but the Chicago of EUROPE would be Berlin or Frankfurt
Ok, If you'd don't like that analogy just substitute Hamburg with Guangzhou (population 15 million, 25 millon metro area). If that doesn't work for you, try Lagos, Dhaka, Chengdu, Lahore, Izmir...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 08:10 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,063,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Ok, If you'd don't like that analogy just substitute Hamburg with Guangzhou (population 15 million, 25 millon metro area). If that doesn't work for you, try Lagos, Dhaka, Chengdu, Lahore, Izmir...
It's not just population.... Chicago is also the second biggest/most important financial center outside of NYC in the U.S., has an iconic skyline, is the second "city" (in terms of urbanity) in the U.S., and is a historically a very important American city. It also contains one of the busiest airports in the world and is extremely iconic in sports (Michael Jordan, Mike Ditka etc), as well is famous from movies, food, museums, education.... the list goes on. If you think Tampa is more important than all of this because of "warm weather" and being a vacation spot, that's just delusional.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:15 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,475,857 times
Quote:
It's not inconceivable.

Think of the Bahamas....not much there is there? Not really important either.

Think of Hamburg. A European city comparable to Chicago in importance and stature.

Go around Anytown, USA and see which one more people are familiar with.
I dont know why you keep arguing, I'm agreeing with you... I said I could see how in the circles you might surround yourself with that Tampa or Tallahassee are more well known then DC or Chicago worldwide.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
It's not just population.... Chicago is also the second biggest/most important financial center outside of NYC in the U.S., has an iconic skyline, is the second "city" (in terms of urbanity) in the U.S., and is a historically a very important American city. It also contains one of the busiest airports in the world and is extremely iconic in sports (Michael Jordan, Mike Ditka etc), as well is famous from movies, food, museums, education.... the list goes on. If you think Tampa is more important than all of this because of "warm weather" and being a vacation spot, that's just delusional.
Never said more important, we're talking well known internationally. Do I think Taylor Swift is important? No, but she has 85 million twitter followers.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Never said more important, we're talking well known internationally. Do I think Taylor Swift is important? No, but she has 85 million twitter followers.
I'm aware. I wouldn't even say Miami is more known internationally than Chicago.... especially if you remove its heavy concentration of Latin American influence. Tampa is hardly known/ cared about within the U.S., so no idea why it would be more known than the third largest/most prominent city in the U.S. from outside the country, as well as the nation's capitol.

I mean c'mon, TB is hardly the third most notable city in Florida....

Old 10-15-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I'm aware. I wouldn't even say Miami is more known internationally than Chicago.... especially if you remove its heavy concentration of Latin American influence. Tampa is hardly known/ cared about within the U.S., so no idea why it would be more known than the third largest/most prominent city in the U.S.
I've never even been to Florida, nor do I see any reason to ever visit.

However, I can see how a tropical, coastal zone with places like Disney in an English speaking country (international language of commerce) would appeal to billions of people across Europe and Asia.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I've never even been to Florida, nor do I see any reason to ever visit.

However, I can see how a tropical, coastal zone with places like Disney in an English speaking country (international language of commerce) would appeal to billions of people across Europe and Asia.
This has been brought up on this site before.... a lot. You're conflating "tourism" with "notoriety". The two are not at all the same thing.

Besides, even if we did go by tourism... I'm pretty sure Chicago draws more international tourists than Tampa.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:59 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,279,479 times
Chicago does draw more international visitors (tourist or business purposes) than Tampa, but trails Miami (2nd behind NYC) and Orlando (5th) by a fair margin as the 9th most visited city by international visitors in the US:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ional_visitors

Quote:
This has been brought up on this site before.... a lot. You're conflating "tourism" with "notoriety". The two are not at all the same thing.

Besides, even if we did go by tourism... I'm pretty sure Chicago draws more international tourists than Tampa.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Chicago does draw more international visitors (tourist or business purposes) than Tampa, but trails Miami (2nd behind NYC) and Orlando (5th) by a fair margin as the 9th most visited city by international visitors in the US:

Also outranking both D.C. and Chicago on that list:

-Pattaya, Thailand
-Siem Reap, Cambodia
-Agra, India
-Johor Bahru, Malaysia
-Edirne, Turkey
-Colombo, Sri Lanka

Old 10-15-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

Fair enough, but again this thread isn't about tourism, it's about notoriety. And nobody is flying to Orlando to see Orlando. They're going there for Disney World.

Even tourism though.... I'd strongly curve any city like Houston and Miami simply because they are right next to a foreign country (or countries). Houston is right by Mexico and Miami is right by a number of foreign countries. I think we'd be fooling ourselves if we didn't count that into being a huge skew for international visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or