U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Globally, what's the 3rd most famous city from America?
Chicago 18 22.50%
DC 36 45.00%
Miami 10 12.50%
San Francisco 19 23.75%
Vegas 9 11.25%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 04:09 PM

5,138 posts, read 3,138,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The Seattle coffee is comparison is not really the same.

The cheesesteak is a sandwich known around the world and its origins are in Philadelphia, and its constantly (and sometimes annoying always referenced to Philadelphia).

Yes, Starbucks is worldwide, but its marketing isn't Seattle focused. If Starbucks was literally named "Seattle Coffee", then it would be a better comparison.
There are coffee stores with "Seattle" in their name in surprising parts the world. I'm not talking about Starbucks. Though actually, their Seattle's Best Coffee brand markets itself worldwide.

For example, Starbucks entered London by buying 65(?) Seattle Coffee locations. Another unrelated Seattle Coffee is in an English town outside the commuter belt where I have relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 06:46 PM

116 posts, read 31,616 times
I have to laugh at many of these posts. So many of you are so "Matter of fact" or patronizing about your opinions it's kind of scary. This is quite an interesting topic. That being said I don't understand those of you who correct others based on something that can only be quantified by basically asking all people who are not from the United States what cities in the United States they have heard of/know.

Why is everybody fighting over what other people give as their OPINION?!

I would argue that to the majority of people outside of the United States that New York City ('Times Square') and Los Angeles ('Hollywood') are the most heard of cities. I agree with the poster who said that people would use the region names more likely than proper city names for those two places.

Basically these two cities:
New York City
Los Angeles

These cities are good likely candidates a tier under the main two:
Chicago
Miami
Las Vegas
Orlando
San Francisco
Washington D.C.
Boston
Philadelphia
Seattle
Atlanta
New Orleans
Dallas

Again, this is just my opinion - I'm not stating it as fact.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:54 PM

2,156 posts, read 646,263 times
Depends on where you go.

In UK/Ireland, the most popular American Pro Sports teams are Boston ones so most people will know what Boston is when I say where Im from... Nowhere in the British Isles didnt know what it was. In Portugal, I had to say near Rhode Island since theres a huge diaspora there and everyone knew what RI was. In China, I said Harvard's city. In Australia, I said Celtics land.

Its all dependent where you go and how you say things relative to your area. So the answers that are "NeW yOrK aNd La. ThAtS aLl!#$!!!*" , are unfortunately wrong and thus you probably dont travel much. Because Ive been to so many places that didnt know what New York or LA was and knew what places like Yosemite and Miami were. Its subjective and hard to tack an answer.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:58 PM

5,138 posts, read 3,138,091 times
I'm guessing that the "place" that didn't know New York didn't involve quizzing a lot of people.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:08 PM

6,581 posts, read 4,395,583 times
New York
Los Angeles
Washington DC
San Francisco
Boston
Chicago
Atlanta
Miami
Seattle
Dallas

Pretty much in that order, IMO.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:04 PM

8,334 posts, read 12,819,699 times
New Orleans is definitely a top tier city that would be known abroad. Anyone who knows about jazz music would know about it at the very least. It was also unfortunately in global headlines because of Hurricane Katrina. New Orleans has always been one of America's premier cultural centers and people abroad definitely have heard of it.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:14 AM

2,156 posts, read 646,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
New York
Los Angeles
Washington DC
San Francisco
Boston
Chicago
Atlanta
Miami
Seattle
Dallas

Throw Miami above San Francisco and its pretty accurate. Miami is recognized worldwide.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:35 AM

6,169 posts, read 5,517,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
New York
Los Angeles
Washington DC
San Francisco
Boston
Chicago
Atlanta
Miami
Seattle
Dallas

No Philadelphia or Houston, but Atlanta and Boston Seattle and Dallas?? Lets not selectively choose based on preference.

There is 100% no way Atlanta is more well known than Miami or even Philadelphia or on par with Chicago.

I don't understand how people come up with these lists?

Last edited by cpomp; 10-15-2019 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-15-2019, 10:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,514,137 times
It's pretty much:

NYC
LA
DC
SF
Chicago
Miami
Las Vegas (might be contentious but I think it belongs here)

The rest are here and there and mostly based on what the individual might be into i.e. cars, olympics, jazz music, food...

Old 10-15-2019, 04:44 PM

1,857 posts, read 1,362,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
It's pretty much:

NYC
LA
DC
SF
Chicago
Miami
Las Vegas (might be contentious but I think it belongs here)

The rest are here and there and mostly based on what the individual might be into i.e. cars, olympics, jazz music, food...
I think all of the Florida cities and even Las Vegas would be above both D.C. and Chicago.

Think of how many billions of people live in cold weather zones that have cities far more cultured, urban, and historically significant that D.C. and Chicago.

I'd love to hear someone trying to pitch D.C over Orlando to a person in Helsinki or Seoul.

Pretty sure you're going to get a big "cool story bro" when hyping those historic buildings and landmarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or