Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Globally, what's the 3rd most famous city from America?
Chicago 60 27.78%
DC 87 40.28%
Miami 35 16.20%
San Francisco 55 25.46%
Vegas 29 13.43%
Other 11 5.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 10:11 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Most large U.S. cities are also well-known internationally, at least in the English-speaking world (if there's a song about it, we've heard of it). I would guess they became well-known for being regional hubs, or for having historic, economic, or cultural importance: Boston, New Orleans, El Paso, Santa Fe, Dallas, Austin, Salt Lake City, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Portland, Seattle, etc.

But there are quite a few big cities that are, weirdly enough, not well-known internationally, and I have no idea why. Fresno, the "Inland Empire", Long Beach, Jacksonville FL (although Orlando is well-known for obvious reasons), Oklahoma City, Wichita, Mesa, Virginia Beach, Colorado Springs, Tulsa, Omaha... I'm looking at a list of the 50 largest metropolitan areas in the U.S., and I didn't know those cities are as heavily populated as they are.
All the metros you listed are quite small, or part of larger, well-known metros. Why would foreigners know a random suburb of Phoenix (Mesa) or a random metro of 600k (Wichita)? You think most Americans have heard of random small metros in, say, Belgium?

Old 10-17-2019, 10:21 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
All the metros you listed are quite small, or part of larger, well-known metros. Why would foreigners know a random suburb of Phoenix (Mesa) or a random metro of 600k (Wichita)? You think most Americans have heard of random small metros in, say, Belgium?
Sports and popular culture can make a smaller metro more well known than it would based on its size. For example, many people outside the UK know Liverpool because of the Beatles and Manchester because of their soccer team. I wouldn't know about Liverpool or Manchester otherwise. If Cannes, France didn't have the film festival I would never have heard of it. Tourist value too hence cities like Orlando, Key West, Charleston, and Savannah. Pisa is not an important city in Italy but its known around the world for its tower.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:44 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Coming to America, from Portugal, my Nana knew the following cities:

Boston
Providence
Fall River MA
New York
Atlantic City
Philadelphia
Washington

But that was 1950 something.. (She settled 20km South of Boston, and Fall River is definitely an outsider.. but Portuguese people knew of it back in the day)

Old 10-18-2019, 12:36 PM

712 posts, read 541,864 times
No 1 US city well known internationally is New York City, there probably should be no argument on this.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:44 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
I appreciate your opinion. And I understand what you’re saying, but Warren Buffett and his Berkshire Hathaway convention is no joke- and it’s reach is not a stretch.. The Omaha Zoo, surprisingly is world renowned, believe that or not.. People from all over the world visit Omaha specifically for the zoo- which is the #1 tourist attraction in the state of Nebraska.
I love Omaha, but it's not well-known internationally. Do you know where the best zoos are in other countries? Didn't think so.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:50 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Coming to America, from Portugal, my Nana knew the following cities:

Boston
Providence
Fall River MA
New York
Atlantic City
Philadelphia
Washington

But that was 1950 something.. (She settled 20km South of Boston, and Fall River is definitely an outsider.. but Portuguese people knew of it back in the day)

She surely knew New Bedford, too.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:52 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
Professional sports can definitely be a factor in the awareness of US cities by citizens of other countries.

I'm located in Chicago. In the early 1990s, some relatives took a train trip on Amtrak. On the train, they stuck up a conversation with a family who was visiting the US from Argentina. When my relatives told these tourists that they live in Chicago, the teen-aged son of the visiting family blurted out 'Michael Jordan' and then showed to my family members his Chicago Bulls T-Shirt.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:54 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Houston would probably be best known in Latin America, since Selena grew up near there. Jacksonville has strong ties with Puerto Rico (even though Puerto Rico is still apart of the US) Cubans have also noticed Jax as well since it's cheaper than Miami and still accessible to the Caribbean. Generally speaking NYC, LA, Miami, San Francisco, Chicago are going to come to mind when discussing US cities.

I can't imagine it wouldn't be Miami and LA. Those are the two primary gateway cities for anyone coming from Latin America.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:14 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I can't imagine it wouldn't be Miami and LA. Those are the two primary gateway cities for anyone coming from Latin America.
Clarify that statement. When you say "primary gateways", what do you mean?

Old 10-18-2019, 04:42 PM

561 posts, read 513,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I love Omaha, but it's not well-known internationally.
I never stated Omaha was well known internationally. I’m simply making the point that a mid major, 1 million population metro like Omaha is known, internationally, due to both reasons I mentioned. I’m glad to hear you love Omaha ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.