Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Globally, what's the 3rd most famous city from America?
Chicago 60 27.78%
DC 87 40.28%
Miami 35 16.20%
San Francisco 55 25.46%
Vegas 29 13.43%
Other 11 5.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 04:01 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
LOL post of the day!!! “Chicago has more and larger buildings than N.Y.”!!! If you can google HK and Dubai surely you can do that for other things, too. Check it out sometime, I believe NYC has about 6500 high rises vs 1200 or so in Chicago. NY has 19 super tall buildings vs 6. Not putting Chicago down at all but have you been to NY???
New York has less then 6,500. Hong Kong by comparison has 7,827.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:21 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
New York has less then 6,500. Hong Kong by comparison has 7,827.
HK is very impressive, many of HK’s buildings are not commercial they are commie blocks. NYC is just as impressive in my opinion I’ve lived in the NYC and been to HK several times. Have you been to either or looking online?

Old 03-06-2020, 11:22 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
After New York and L.A., I'd say DC, Miami and San Francisco, in that order.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:57 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times
Quote:
New York doesn't have the biggest buildings, and it doesn't have the most.
It's ultimately a combination of density, size/height, architecture/aesthetics, surroundings, etc. Just because you do well in one category, doesn't mean you have a better skyline.

Quote:
Your view of Dubai's skyline is subjective
Okay, sure.

Old 03-07-2020, 03:16 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
I believe the Chicago skyline has more and larger buildings. Regardless the NYC skyline is not the top appeal with international visitors. The NYC skyline is not that remarkable by international standards. How could it possibly compare to stuff like this?

Dubai skyline looks incredible (haven't been, though). BUT I have been to Hong Kong, most recently in 2014, and NYC last June. I'd have to say that as impressive as HK's skyline is, NYC is almost as impressive. And NYC has that art deco feel to many of its skyscrapers that HK does not.

You should also consider that many, many of the skyscrapers in HK's skyscraper count look like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tseu...w=1366&bih=657

Souless, cookie cutter, concrete blocks, including lots of commie-style public housing blocks.

NYC does have some terrible public housing but that public housing is a smaller fraction of its skyscraper count than it is in Hong Kong. Much of that public housing is too short to be even counted as a skyscraper.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:55 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Dubai skyline looks incredible (haven't been, though). BUT I have been to Hong Kong, most recently in 2014, and NYC last June. I'd have to say that as impressive as HK's skyline is, NYC is almost as impressive. And NYC has that art deco feel to many of its skyscrapers that HK does not.

You should also consider that many, many of the skyscrapers in HK's skyscraper count look like this:

Souless, cookie cutter, concrete blocks, including lots of commie-style public housing blocks.

NYC does have some terrible public housing but that public housing is a smaller fraction of its skyscraper count than it is in Hong Kong. Much of that public housing is too short to be even counted as a skyscraper.
Very true post ☝️

In building height for perspective...the number of buildings over 900’ ft:

NYC 28

Hong Kong 8

Chicago 8

NYC resembles something out of a sci-fi movie at this point. I tried to post a couple of cool photos and I couldn’t get it to work, if I can later I will.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:

Well, I have never been to NYC or HK, but seeing the HK skyline at night is at the top of my bucket list. Visiting NYC is way down the list. HK just looks 100 times more interesting IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCkAQzfd6_Q

Old 03-07-2020, 08:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Well, I have never been to NYC or HK, but seeing the HK skyline at night is at the top of my bucket list. Visiting NYC is way down the list. HK just looks 100 times more interesting IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCkAQzfd6_Q
I see you're from Oregon. HK is more interesting in that it's a different culture, true. But NOT 100x more interesting. And NYC shouldn't be way down the list. (Is there anywhere in the U.S. that is near the top of your bucket list)?

This is a very typical West Coast response. West Coasters often think "West Coast Best Coast" even before they travel across the U.S. West Coasters travel a ton internationally (great), but avoid traveling East of Colorado because they automatically assume that the Midwest, South, and the Northeast are terrible. I know because I was born and raised in Southern California, and that's how people there thought.

It's fine if you've visited NYC and don't like it. BUT don't put down NYC even before you've been there!

I've been to Hong Kong seven times. And yet, going to NYC was a unique, impressive experience all on its own. To many in China, going to NYC is higher up on their bucket list than going to Hong Kong. To them, NYC's more interesting because it's a whole different culture.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:40 PM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Quote:
I see you're from Oregon. HK is more interesting in that it's a different culture, true. But NOT 100x more interesting. And NYC shouldn't be way down the list. (Is there anywhere in the U.S. that is near the top of your bucket list)?

This is a very typical West Coast response. West Coasters often think "West Coast Best Coast" even before they travel across the U.S. West Coasters travel a ton internationally (great), but avoid traveling East of Colorado because they automatically assume that the Midwest, South, and the Northeast are terrible. I know because I was born and raised in Southern California, and that's how people there thought.

It's fine if you've visited NYC and don't like it. BUT don't put down NYC even before you've been there!
There’s some truth to that, which I won’t go into at great length. The East does come across as kinda stale and stuffy, if not elitist. NYC was just too much; Chicago is where I like my urban level. But I actually kinda like the Midwest. The rust belt is depressing but also interesting, too. Never did develop an affinity for the Northeast and New England, though. Which is an upgrade, because I was once actually kinda “racist” against “northies”. I’m working on it.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:

I've been to Hong Kong seven times. And yet, going to NYC was a unique, impressive experience all on its own. To many in China, going to NYC is higher up on their bucket list than going to Hong Kong. To them, NYC's more interesting because it's a whole different culture.
Yes, too many to mention. Most of the top of my bucket list places are in the Western US, because I think it's the best part of the country. But if I was to visit the East, NYC still wouldn't be that high on my list. But it could be a good one day stop. Maybe take a walk around Times Square, visit the Statue of Liberty and then move on to someplace more interesting. HK on the other hand, I think I would want to spend more time in to soak it all in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.