Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Globally, what's the 3rd most famous city from America?
Chicago 60 27.78%
DC 87 40.28%
Miami 35 16.20%
San Francisco 55 25.46%
Vegas 29 13.43%
Other 11 5.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 AM

1,685 posts, read 2,822,984 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK CITY
WASHINGTON DC
MIAMI
LOS ANGELES
LAS VEGAS
SAN FRANCISCO

on this order

Old 10-24-2014, 11:57 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,588,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Correction D/FW does & its not by a large margin. Houston has the larger Pakistani population. We're splitting hairs now. They essentially cancel each other out its that close.

Now if we're talking Korean or Laotion populations, then yes, Dallas does blow Houston away...but that's where it stops.

Dallas is finally playing catch up to what Houston has had for many decades now in the diversity department. Houston was recently rated at the most diverse city in America even beating out NYC. Even Al-Jazeera reported on it worldwide.

Immigrants reshape Houston, America’s most diverse metropolis | Al Jazeera America

Word is getting out my friend.
You need to travel more. You dont seem to grasp what makes a city known on an international level.

Cities arent known for being diverse world wide. Cities are basically known for what they contribute to pop culture or history. The people who know Houston know them for things like "Houston, we have a problem" or from their education.

The truth of the matter is that a city like Houston or Dallas is going to be known for either that or because foreigners had to label it on a map, saw it on a map, saw it on TV in the news, or something basic like that.

Nobody is going to know Houston for its diverse population internationally. Think about our own population. Do you think Americans know Paris for its massive Indian population? Amsterdam for its massive Indonesian population or its large port? Does your average American know Houston or Dallas equivalent cities worldwide like Bogota, Lima, Kuala Lumpur, Taipei, etc.? Your average American couldnt even label them on a map. They may have heard the names of the cities. They know they exist but thats about it. Nobody knows what those cities are known for specifically.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:30 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You need to travel more. You dont seem to grasp what makes a city known on an international level.

Cities arent known for being diverse world wide. Cities are basically known for what they contribute to pop culture or history. The people who know Houston know them for things like "Houston, we have a problem" or from their education.

The truth of the matter is that a city like Houston or Dallas is going to be known for either that or because foreigners had to label it on a map, saw it on a map, saw it on TV in the news, or something basic like that.

Nobody is going to know Houston for its diverse population internationally. Think about our own population. Do you think Americans know Paris for its massive Indian population? Amsterdam for its massive Indonesian population or its large port? Does your average American know Houston or Dallas equivalent cities worldwide like Bogota, Lima, Kuala Lumpur, Taipei, etc.? Your average American couldnt even label them on a map. They may have heard the names of the cities. They know they exist but thats about it. Nobody knows what those cities are known for specifically.
Houston IS known in Pop Culture...

Everyone who is anyone knows Beyonce & Destiny's Child. Hell even Jay-Z her husband raps about how cool Houston is on his platinum selling albums.

His latest hit "Tom Ford" is nothing but Houston. Every other word is "H-Town".

NSFW

Tom Ford - Jay-Z (Official Lyrics) - YouTube

"Chopped & Screwed Music" that was popular in Houston 20 years ago & continues to be is just now making main stream as if it were some new found sound or something. Miley uses it, Lil' Wayne uses it, & these new up & coming Rappers like Rick Ross jock it with "Everday I'm Hustlin".

Houston was about 20 years ahead of its time musically now everyone is catching on to that style. All these rookie artists think they're cool talking about drinking Codeine cough syrup now which was invented in Houston. I find it entertaining.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-24-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 12:32 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,712,237 times
This summer we were in the Llandudno area of north Wales, UK - a tourist area, but not so much for Americans. I think we might have been the only ones there. Saying we were two hours west of Philadelphia didn't really register with them, or two hours north of Washington. Three hours from New York City seemed to do it, that area is about three hours from London. "Pennsylvania" registered better than Philadelphia, although perhaps because, as one older Welsh fellow put it, his great-uncle died in a mine in PA.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Everyone who is anyone knows Beyonce & Destiny's Child. Hell even Jay-Z her husband raps about how cool Houston is on his platinum selling albums.

His latest hit "Tom Ford" is nothing but Houston. Every other word is "H-Town".

Tom Ford - Jay-Z (Official Lyrics) - YouTube

"Chopped & Screwed Music" that was popular in Houston 20 years ago & continues to be is just now making main stream as if it were some new found sound or something. Miley uses it, Lil' Wayne uses it, & these new up & coming Rappers like Rick Ross jock it with "Everday I'm Hustlin".

Houston was about 20 years ahead of its time musically now everyone is catching on to that style. All these artists think they're cool talking about cough syrup now which was invented in Houston. I find it entertaining.
Chopped and Screwed music is not known internationally. At all.

Beyonce is known a lot of places internationally but few would know to associate her with Houston.

Again, you have never left the US. Until you do, you wouldnt be able to grasp what is and isnt known interntionally about a city. I cant really explain it to you but its clear you dont know.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:51 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Chopped and Screwed music is not known internationally. At all.

Beyonce is known a lot of places internationally but few would know to associate her with Houston.

Again, you have never left the US. Until you do, you wouldnt be able to grasp what is and isnt known interntionally about a city. I cant really explain it to you but its clear you dont know.
Houston helped put Hip Hop/RnB & Texas on the map. Anyone who doesn't know its origins clearly doesn't know Houston.

How soon you forget about other RnB groups like H-Town who had hits back in the early 90's with "Knockin The Boots" that went to #1 on the charts & is still an RnB classic to this day.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Houston helped put Hip Hop/RnB & Texas on the map. Anyone who doesn't know its origins clearly doesn't know Houston.

How soon you forget about other RnB groups like H-Town who had hits back in the early 90's with "Knockin The Boots" that went to #1 on the charts & is still an RnB classic to this day.
Heres what you dont understand, none of that is known internationally. None.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:17 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,237,717 times
Quote:

That's absurd. Cities aren't famous worldwide because musicians have a house there, or it's where they were born.

So Detroit is super famous because Eminem and Kid Rock were born there, live there, and are always giving reference to their hometown of Detroit? Of course not. It anything, Detroit is famous for the auto industry.

I didn't even know Beyonce lived in Houston. I thought she's always in NYC with Jay-Z and their kid. She had her kid in a NYC hospital. Don't like 90% of famous musicians live in LA or NYC areas?

Old 10-12-2019, 02:43 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,495,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Traveled around to almost 30 countries, I think people would be surprised at how LITTLE people actually know of USA cities. Other than a few, there's just no reason for them to care about our cities. They haven't been here, they don't have an impact on their lives. They're just not known, which is perfectly fine.

Cities people know immediately and know about:
New York
Los Angeles
San Fran
Orlando (basically just Disney, nothing about actual Orlando)

Cities people know immediately, but don't have a solid grasp of:
Chicago
Washington DC (this always surprised me, everyone knew DC, but other than "government" they don't know the city)
Miami
New Orleans

Cities most people have heard of, but only know because it's some TV show or hosted something, etc:
Dallas
Atlanta
Houston
Boston
Las Vegas
I don't think Las Vegas is world famous because of a TV show, lol. I would actually put Las Vegas in your top category ahead of Orlando.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:47 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,495,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's absurd. Cities aren't famous worldwide because musicians have a house there, or it's where they were born.

So Detroit is super famous because Eminem and Kid Rock were born there, live there, and are always giving reference to their hometown of Detroit? Of course not. It anything, Detroit is famous for the auto industry.

I didn't even know Beyonce lived in Houston. I thought she's always in NYC with Jay-Z and their kid. She had her kid in a NYC hospital. Don't like 90% of famous musicians live in LA or NYC areas?
Detroit is also known for Motown and Detroit Rock. Detroit was known as music city way before Eminem and Kid Rock. In the 1960s and 70s, Detroit was synonymous with cars and music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.