Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Globally, what's the 3rd most famous city from America?
Chicago 60 27.78%
DC 87 40.28%
Miami 35 16.20%
San Francisco 55 25.46%
Vegas 29 13.43%
Other 11 5.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 04:11 PM

747 posts, read 496,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Non biased FAIL. Your list is way eastern biased. For reasons that many here have already outlined, no list that puts San Francisco that far down the list should be taken serious.
You have failed several times in this thread and therefore, your denunciation of someone else’s list cannot be taken seriously. Case in point:

Quote:
Here, I fixed his list for him. I know it ain't perfect, but it's as close as I can come. Nothing below 20 is really well known internationally, so I could switch them around in quite a few different orders.

1. New York City
2. Los Angeles
3. San Francisco
4. Washington DC
5. Las Vegas
6. Miami
7. New Orleans
8. Boston
9. Philadelphia
10. Chicago
11. Seattle
12. San Diego
13. Honolulu
14. Detroit
15. Indianapolis
16. Memphis
17. Pittsburgh
18. San Antonio
19. Dallas
20. Houston

21. Denver
22. Phoenix
23. St. Louis
24. Minneapolis
25. Oklahoma City
26. Austin
27. Cleveland
28. Cincinnati
29. Milwaukee
30. Albuquerque
31. Nashville
32. Salt Lake City
33. Portland
34. Charlotte
35. Columbus
36. Louisville
37. Atlanta
38. Orlando

39. Fort Lauderdale
40. Baltimore
41. San Jose
42. Fort Worth
Hands down the most embarrassing list in this thread.

Last edited by _Uncommon_; 05-28-2020 at 04:27 PM..

Old 05-28-2020, 04:14 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,545,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
San Fran, after NY, has the most landmarks in the USA? What do you define as a landmark?
No, not ahead of Washington DC. This is a list of at least "America's favorite Architecture", which I would consider "landmarks". The top 20 are dominated by New York and DC, only the Golden gate bridge cracks top 20 for SF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...e_Architecture

Old 05-28-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Exactly, after the Statue of Liberty, the Golden Gate Bridge can go toe to toe with any other landmark in the U.S.. It’s the most famous and photographed bridge in the world! Cable Cars and Alcatraz are also world famous landmarks. After NY, there is no debate on what city has the most recognizable landmarks to identify a city.
100% agree. After NYC, LA easily has the most identifiable landmark with the Hollywood sign, stars on Hollywood Blvd, Rodeo Drive, and the skyline set against the mountains.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:38 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
100% agree. After NYC, LA easily has the most identifiable landmark with the Hollywood sign, stars on Hollywood Blvd, Rodeo Drive, and the skyline set against the mountains.
Again what’s a landmark? If anything is a landmark, in my OPINION, then it goes NYC, just so much there>DC, almost countless landmarks>LA

Old 05-28-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Again what’s a landmark? If anything is a landmark, in my OPINION, then it goes NYC, just so much there>DC, almost countless landmarks>LA
In my opinion, it’s anything tangible that informs a person of a location.

I might agree with you. The White House, Lincoln Memorial, the Mall, and Capitol Building are some of the world’s most recognizable places.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:04 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,072 times
Quote:
LOL, it's sounds like you must be from Atlanta, and like cheering for you own city. You have no idea. San Francisco has the bridges, the cable cars, the waterfront, the crooked street. Those are all things that anyone anywhere would recognize instantly as being in San Francisco. Atlanta has absolutely nothing, zilch, zip, nada, that anyone from outside of Atlanta would recognize. A while back in this thread I posted a Japanese language map of the US, that I found online. Atlanta was the biggest city, not mentioned on the map. That says it all. For international people, Atlanta doesn't exist.

For the record, I don't hate Atlanta. I think it would be kind of a cool city to visit. I have no idea what I would do there, but I would like to visit Atlanta at least once. But people from outside the US don't even know it exists.

Atlanta tourism is on the rise, tracking firm says

40% of visitors to Atlanta, came from Georgia, and most of the rest from the US. That says it all. It's not on the same level as San Francisco, or Boston.
This is ridiculous.
You guys make it seem that when people say that ATL is as well known as SF and Boston that somehow they mean that it is more important. It doesn't.

Atlanta is a popular culture phenomenon.
It has been for a while now.
To a foreigner ATL is at the Pinnacle of well known cities.
I would take it as far as it being a lot more popular than Boston and even SF.
San Francisco has it's charm but it is by no means on the tips of everyone lips.

Black culture is young culture and for a while now black culture and Atlanta have been synonymous.
The are so many shows focused on ATL or with ATL in the name. So many artists always repoint ATL. It is an every day name. In terms of being on the lips of everyone, only NY had it beat. No one is going around saying I'm from the SF baby! SF and Boston is on the level of Chicago, Philly, Houston, DFW and all of those are below NY, ATL, LA and Miami.

I am free from an ATL booster. In fact, most ATL posters probably think I don't like the city. But I just look at things objectively. The young folks watch love and hip with the biggies being NY, Atl, LA and Miami. They Watch Real Housewives with the biggies being ATL, NY, DC, LA. Music has done wonders for places like Detroit, Memphis, NOLA and Nashville. But today the major players are NY, ATL, LA and Miami.

Y'all act all elitist asking what in ATLANTA is more famous than SF? Well it is simple. It has its name. Tyler Perry and Bravo are walking advertisements for the town. SF and Boston are no where near that level.

To the Atl booster stop that annoying mentioning of CNN, CDC, Coke and the darn airport. Non of those provide ATL fame. No one sips on some Cola and go "ahhh, Atlanta!" ATL is ATL because it is the Kylie Kardashian of cities. Not all important people are famous and not all famous people are important. But important people are important and famous people are famous. Mark Zuckerberg may be at the top of the most important people in the globe list right now but the Kardashians are a lot more famous.

Anyone with any access to a TV or smart phone had heard about ATL. Can't really say the same for Boston or SF even though the very applications they may be using it's from there. That again brings up the importance =\= famous argument.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:44 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
This is ridiculous.
You guys make it seem that when people say that ATL is as well known as SF and Boston that somehow they mean that it is more important. It doesn't.

[cut]

Anyone with any access to a TV or smart phone had heard about ATL. Can't really say the same for Boston or SF even though the very applications they may be using it's from there. That again brings up the importance =\= famous argument.
Finally. Yes, I agree with everything that was said here.
To me, Atlanta is to a foreigner what Manchester is to the world outside of England. The average person in the world will know the name Manchester thanks to its football/soccer legacy. Even people who know absolutely nothing about the sport have more than likely heard, on multiple occasions, the names Manchester City and Manchester United. Doesn't mean they know about anything that makes Manchester an important city in any other way. But they know the name.

Same goes for Atlanta. Atlanta's black culture and music scene has made the name immensely popular globally, even if the average person doesn't know anything else about it. They know the name, they know what the city is, and they know at least a few things that make it famous.
Ask someone from, say, South Korea, or England, about Atlanta, and you'll likely get something like "Oh yeah, Ludacris or Outkast is from there." Or "My wife watches that Atlanta whatever show."

Old 05-28-2020, 07:37 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,883,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Finally. Yes, I agree with everything that was said here.
To me, Atlanta is to a foreigner what Manchester is to the world outside of England. The average person in the world will know the name Manchester thanks to its football/soccer legacy. Even people who know absolutely nothing about the sport have more than likely heard, on multiple occasions, the names Manchester City and Manchester United. Doesn't mean they know about anything that makes Manchester an important city in any other way. But they know the name.

Same goes for Atlanta. Atlanta's black culture and music scene has made the name immensely popular globally, even if the average person doesn't know anything else about it. They know the name, they know what the city is, and they know at least a few things that make it famous.
Ask someone from, say, South Korea, or England, about Atlanta, and you'll likely get something like "Oh yeah, Ludacris or Outkast is from there." Or "My wife watches that Atlanta whatever show."
Really? I'd be surprised. No one I know, even knows Coca Cola is based in Atlanta...I know, because I asked them. I would have to say, some here are way overestimating Atlanta's prominence on the world stage.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:39 PM

1,228 posts, read 796,214 times
I still think Washington D.C. is better known/recognized internationally than L.A. for the #2 spot. It is the U.S. Capital and seat of power, and swings one big powerful stick globally (for better or worse). The image of the Capitol, the White House, and the Washington Monument or to a lesser extent the Lincoln Memorial are pretty internationally iconic. D.C. is the source of the sole of the boot with with we in the U.S. tread the Earth. “Hollywood” is easily a solid #3 in my opinion.

I’m intrigued by the Atlanta discussion. I was born and raised in the metro, and was there for the 1996 Summer Olympic Games. It was all about Delta, Coca Cola, and CNN back then, with a healthy dose of MLK and the U.S. civil rights movement, and definitely raised Global awareness funneled through Hartsfield airport and international media. Atlanta was “the city too busy to hate...”. We even had our own (then unknowingly homegrown) terrorist attack at the Olympic Park (I had been there earlier in the day, and will never forget it) for punctuation of global awareness. The city got the collective “vapors” when the head of of IOC merely declared it “a most exceptional Games.” From the comments, perhaps that has faded/pivoted with a more recent resurgence of reality TV and likely deservedly, increasingly globally acknowledged African American musical culture centered in Atlanta?

Edit: yes, I’m old...

Last edited by RaleighSentinel; 05-28-2020 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: I’m old

Old 05-28-2020, 07:55 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
You have failed several times in this thread and therefore, your denunciation of someone else’s list cannot be taken seriously. Case in point:

Hands down the most embarrassing list in this thread.
If that is the most you could find fault with, I think I did pretty good. If you want to rearrange 14 to 23, I could care less. I don't think it's that important. I stand by where I put Chicago. It's big, but that's it. To me it's like Osaka, Japan. Tokyo is the super city, Kyoto is the culture center. If Osaka disappeared tomorrow, Japan would still be Japan. Same with Chicago.

I also see you got butthurt about Atlanta and Orlando. Whatever. Sure Orlando has Disney, and Atlanta has CNN, but nobody cares about that. Disney is not even in Orlando, and nobody is going to travel to the Atlanta to take a tour of the CNN studios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.