Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Globally, what's the 3rd most famous city from America?
Chicago 60 27.78%
DC 87 40.28%
Miami 35 16.20%
San Francisco 55 25.46%
Vegas 29 13.43%
Other 11 5.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 02:04 PM

1,803 posts, read 933,497 times

Advertisements

f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Do you really think that any of the bold there mean anything to the average person in, say, Moscow? I'd wager that you'd draw blank stares from the vast majority of foreigners if you mentioned any of that to them.

A lot of what gives Atlanta international notoriety is its pop/music culture, which is much bigger than I think most realize. CNN being in Atlanta means nothing to the average foreigner -- and why should it? Do we care that al Jazeera is HQ'd in Doha, Qatar??
Similarly with Silicon Valley here, do we really care that Shigeru Miyamoto lives in Kyoto? And that Nintendo is HQ'd there? I bet most think/thought it was HQ'd in Tokyo.
These things aren't really what make a city's name well-known internationally. Pop culture, from TV shows to movies to music, are much stronger than any of those.
Now if we were talking about best international corporate presence, then we'd have an entirely different conversation, in which Atlanta wouldn't be anywhere near mention in my book.
Absolutely not. They were just things that come to mind from Atlanta posters listing them on C-D. Otherwise I never would have thought of Coca Cola and Atlanta. CNN yes but they still broadcast from NYC and DC a lot. I guess I forgot to list for Atlanta the Rap music Mecca also. That is claimed alone to be world renown and therefore recognition. Oh and Had a Olympics.

When needed to hype a city. All kinds of reasons come into these threads. You surely know that. This thread already defined the top 5 basically, but some other cities were brought in in its run especially if someone listed their city a tad too low. One who posted a bit earlier did list Atlanta with Miami and LA and NYC in international recognition by apparently their experience. So I made a list of a few cities of what came to mind.

Do I think Atlanta is up there with SF NYC and Miami even? No Do I think all in my list has world renown importance? Of course not. A bit facetious actually I was. But still it was a quick list as a American and some is just from reading C-D hype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Give it a rest.
No one cares about cable cars.
The London O is probably the most famous public transit system in the world and to the average person it still doesn't mean anything.

SF has a let less significance in national and worldwide consciousness.
It's just not the popular culture icon that you guys make it out to be.

To be honest, this is about the only place I hear about SF no matter where I go.
NY, ATL, LA and Miami are the places you hear about no matter where you go.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:51 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,072 times
There is no question which has the most recognizable landmarks.
When people use a $5 bill that Memorial on there is in DC.
When they use a $10, guess what that US Treasury building on there is in DC. When they use $20 that white House is in DC.
When they use a $50 they see the capitol in DC.
The building on the$100, independence Hall, guess what, it's in DC.

US currency is everywhere.
Can't beat that free advertising.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:12 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Quote:
There is no question which has the most recognizable landmarks.
When people use a $5 bill that Memorial on there is in DC.
When they use a $10, guess what that US Treasury building on there is in DC. When they use $20 that white House is in DC.
When they use a $50 they see the capitol in DC.
The building on the$100, independence Hall, guess what, it's in DC.

US currency is everywhere.
Can't beat that free advertising.
Independence Hall is in Philadelphia. The fact that an American doesn't even realize that is not only sad but kind of debunks your theory.

I would say New York and LA and have the most *easily* recognizable landmarks. Hollywood sign, Rodeo Drive, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, etc.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:32 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Independence Hall is in Philadelphia. The fact that an American doesn't even realize that is not only sad but kind of debunks your theory.

I would say New York and LA and have the most *easily* recognizable landmarks. Hollywood sign, Rodeo Drive, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, etc.
Brainfart, but Philly was just preDC before DC was DC so still DC and it just bolsters my point that people are going to assume it is in DC. Sorry Philly gets no love.

Not American by birth btw, it's been a while since I have been but should have still remembered.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:37 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Quote:
Brainfart, but Philly was just preDC before DC was DC so still DC and it just bolsters my point that people are going to assume it is in DC. Sorry Philly gets no love.

Not American by birth btw, it's been a while since I have been but should have still remembered.
So you are defending lack of knowledge, making vast generalizations, and insulting Philadelphia? I can't.... Please give it a rest....

Fun side-note... Independence Hall is one of Americas most important landmarks and through my travels and interactions worldwide I conversed with people who think Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell are in either Philadelphia (the most common response), New York or Boston, never once DC.

I am quite irritated how you attempted to justify your error and still use that as an insult to Philadelphia. Whether it is among the most well-known cities internationally or not, your post was embarrassing on so many levels...

I am also gonna go out a limb and say using currency as a means for relevance is not the strongest argument, and you are really reaching, not quite sure what point you are trying to prove either...?

Last edited by cpomp; 06-01-2020 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 06-01-2020, 04:02 PM

1,803 posts, read 933,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
So you are defending lack of knowledge, making vast generalizations, and insulting Philadelphia? I can't.... Please give it a rest....

Fun side-note... Independence Hall is one of Americas most important landmarks and through my travels and interactions worldwide I conversed with people who think Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell are in either Philadelphia (the most common response), New York or Boston, never once DC.

I am quite irritated how you attempted to justify your error and still use that as an insult to Philadelphia. Whether it is among the most well-known cities internationally or not, your post was embarrassing on so many levels...

I am also gonna go out a limb and say using currency as a means for relevance is not the strongest argument, and you are really reaching, not quite sure what point you are trying to prove either...?
Interesting Facebook history of Philadelphia's today renown City Hall. How it was almost mostly demolished and seen as obsolete and apparently gaudy by 1929. Maybe the Great Depression helped spare it? Great it was spared. It is a gorgeous structure for sure.

https://www.facebook.com/phillyguide...54938862325869

Another tidbit of history of the building itself.

At 548 ft. it is the tallest load bearing masonry structure in the world without a steel frame. Also with foundation walls up to 24 ft thick. It also took like 30 yrs till it was completed. The Largest Municipal building in the US. Building started in 1871 and took 30 yrs. I also heard it was just too solid to demolish also as a fortress.

A beautify motion view of Philadelphia's iconic City Hall in this link.

https://www.visitphilly.com/things-t...ons/city-hall/

You probably know all this and now others do and can see its photo above.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:28 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,917,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
The Largest Municipal building in the US. Building started in 1871 and took 30 yrs.
I believe the largest municipal building in the U.S. is Buffalo City Hall. At any rate, it may not be as tall as Philadelphia's but it absolutely dwarfs it in size.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:00 PM

795 posts, read 481,572 times
Okay... this has seriously turned into a pissing contest.......

As I stated before, I voted for Washington DC for the third spot on the poll. On my list I had San Francisco at 7 (Behind New York City, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Miami, Las Vegas and Orlando (tied), and Chicago. I am conceding that Miami, Las Vegas, Orlando, Chicago and San Francisco's orders could fluctuate for me. These cities, in my opinion all can make valid claims for number 4, 5, etc..

I have defended Orlando on here and Atlanta. Now, I see it's time to defend San Francisco.

It is illogical to try to claim that San Francisco doesn't have memorable landmarks - and seems foolish to question the merit of the landmarks (anyone could question the merit of landmarks in any given city). Do I think San Francisco has the second most memorable landmarks after New York City? No, I honestly and personally feel Los Angeles would be second, then Washington DC and then San Francisco (others may disagree). However, it is asinine to say that San Francisco doesn't have internationally known landmarks. It's even odder to question and negatively regurgitate the value of those landmarks. They're landmarks for a reason...

We love to (I know I do) mention how Philadelphia and Boston are renowned for their history, yet we're relegating San Francisco's historical landmarks to 'just a bridge, just a trolley car or just a prison'. Can't have your cake and eat it too.... I mean come on people let's not be hypocrites.

San Francisco's historical landmarks:

- The Golden Gate Bridge is one of, if not the most famous bridge that most people would recognize (another well known one is the Brooklyn bridge). The bridge was designed and built with suspension span to sustain itself against heavy winds. A major concern was the fact that San Francisco had suffered severe loss from the 1906 Earthquake - The Golden Gate Bridge took this into consideration and is earthquake proof (the north and south ends can sustain up to an 8.3, and the suspension can sustain up to 7.0). It was built during The Great Depression - when financial backing was difficult to find. It was the longest suspension bridge until 1981 and the tallest until 1993 - having been completed in 1937, that's pretty historical and is worthy of it's international fame.

-The Cable Cars are one of (if not the only) last working system of it's kind in existence (according to: https://www.sftodo.com/sanfrancisco/...h%20the%20City.). The Cable Car System was built in 1873 and was destroyed by the 1906 earthquake. During the 20th century concerned citizens/historians worked to keep them working and today people ride them for the experience.

- Alcatraz is famous, because it's an island prison where no inmate has ever successfully escaped even though dozens of attempts had been made. I'm not going to glorify the inmates, it's not my thing, but several high key, dangerous inmates were sent there. There was also a group of Native American activists who claimed the land for all tribal 'Indians' in 1969, which didn't end successfully. The prison has a morbid history that does attract many tourists.

Let's be honest, San Francisco has at least three historical landmarks that are etched in people's memories whether you're interested or not and whether you know a lot about the city or just the basics.

No doubt Atlanta has one of the, if not the busiest airport, with quite a bit of international flights coming and going.
Landmarks are important for being recognized as an internationally well-known city. International flights also are a consideration of importance. But you have to add in all the other aspects that make a city internationally known; it's global impact economically, global influence, powerful culture and style, and demographic and economic change, to name a few. Let's be honest, San Francisco is ahead of cities such as Boston, Philadelphia, and Houston in the next group and Seattle, Atlanta and New Orleans in the group after (again, to name a few) when you consider all these things that make a city internationally known. That's not to say the cities I mentioned aren't internationally known, but San Francisco is more COLLECTIVELY well known. . There are anomalies such as Las Vegas, Miami and Orlando who have a huge market for tourism that can't be matched even if they're not economically global or have worldly influence.

Last edited by CinderFella7; 06-01-2020 at 05:12 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 05:13 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,917,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post
Okay... this has seriously turned into a pissing contest.......

As I stated before, I voted for Washington DC for the third spot on the poll. On my list I had San Francisco at 7 (Behind New York City, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Miami, Las Vegas and Orlando (tied), and Chicago. I am conceding that Miami, Las Vegas, Orlando, Chicago and San Francisco's orders could fluctuate for me. These cities, in my opinion all can make valid claims for number 4, 5, etc..

I have defended Orlando on here and Atlanta. Now, I see it's time to defend San Francisco.

It is illogical to try to claim that San Francisco doesn't have memorable landmarks - and seems foolish to question the merit of the landmarks (anyone could question the merit of landmarks in any given city). Do I think San Francisco has the second most memorable landmarks after New York City? No, I honestly and personally feel Los Angeles would be second, then Washington DC and then San Francisco (others may disagree). However, it is asinine to say that San Francisco doesn't have internationally known landmarks. It's even odder to question and negatively regurgitate the value of those landmarks. They're landmarks for a reason...

We love to (I know I do) mention how Philadelphia and Boston are renowned for their history, yet we're relegating San Francisco's historical landmarks to 'just a bridge, just a trolley car or just a prison'. Can't have your cake and eat it too.... I mean come on people let's not be hypocrites.

San Francisco's historical landmarks:

- The Golden Gate Bridge is one of, if not the most famous bridge that most people would recognize (another well known one is the Brooklyn bridge). The bridge was designed and built with suspension span to sustain itself against heavy winds. A major concern was the fact that San Francisco had suffered severe loss from the 1906 Earthquake - The Golden Gate Bridge took this into consideration and is earthquake proof (the north and south ends can sustain up to an 8.3, and the suspension can sustain up to 7.0). It was built during The Great Depression - when financial backing was difficult to find. It was the longest suspension bridge until 1981 and the tallest until 1993 - having been completed in 1937, that's pretty historical and is worthy of it's international fame.

-The Cable Cars are one of (if not the only) last working system of it's kind in existence (according to: https://www.sftodo.com/sanfrancisco/...h%20the%20City.). The Cable Car System was built in 1873 and was destroyed by the 1906 earthquake. During the 20th century concerned citizens/historians worked to keep them working and today people ride them for the experience.

- Alcatraz is famous, because it's an island prison where no inmate has ever successfully escaped even though dozens of attempts had been made. I'm not going to glorify the inmates, it's not my thing, but several high key, dangerous inmates were sent there. There was also a group of Native American activists who claimed the land for all tribal 'Indians' in 1969, which didn't end successfully. The prison has a morbid history that does attract many tourists.

Let's be honest, San Francisco has at least three historical landmarks that are etched in people's memories whether you're interested or not and whether you know a lot about the city or just the basics.

No doubt Atlanta has one of the, if not the busiest airport, with quite a bit of international flights coming and going.
Landmarks are important for being recognized as an internationally well-known city. International flights also are a consideration of importance. But you have to add in all the other aspects that make a city internationally known; it's global impact economically, global influence, powerful culture and style, and demographic and economic change, to name a few. Let's be honest, San Francisco is ahead of cities such as Boston, Philadelphia, and Houston in the next group and Seattle, Atlanta and New Orleans in the group after (again, to name a few) when you consider all these things that make a city internationally known. That's not to say the cities I mentioned aren't internationally known, but San Francisco is more COLLECTIVELY well known. . There are anomalies such as Las Vegas, Miami and Orlando who have a huge market for tourism that can't be matched even if they're not economically global or have worldly influence.
Great post!

Old 06-01-2020, 05:16 PM

795 posts, read 481,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Great post!
Thank you!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.