Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Globally, what's the 3rd most famous city from America?
Chicago 60 27.78%
DC 87 40.28%
Miami 35 16.20%
San Francisco 55 25.46%
Vegas 29 13.43%
Other 11 5.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 02:52 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Your pushing this Chicago isn't and doesn't belong card to the point it seems personal.

You are a long time C-D member with a very high reputation. I just don't understand this fight?

Chicago has esteem of the business community worldwide and American Architecture contributions.

This has nothing to do with Chicago. It's the bizarre provincial attitude that people elsewhere in the world somehow have intimate knowledge of a long list of American cities. Canadians? Sure. They can't escape it. I've done business travel all over the world. I spent the last decade working for Asian companies. Some Chinese software engineer in Wuhan doesn't know where Chicago is or anything about the city. They got a smattering of US geography as part of their English language courses the way I got French geography in all those years of French I took. I'm metro Boston. That engineer in Wuhan knows nothing about Boston and I generally say New York so they at least get my timezone right. ...and that's highly educated, high performance people.

I've done a bunch of summer ski trips in Chile. There, they'll know the big Latin American gateway cities. Miami. LA. Dallas, maybe. They won't have a clue where Boston is but they'll know New York. In Australia and New Zealand, they know West Coast geography well since that's where people go but it tails off as you go east. I just got back from Galicia in Spain. Not much English spoken. They're not watching English language media. Why would they know US geography?

I used to work for a Swedish company and I did a ton of business with Ericsson before that. Swedes grow up with English language media and the university educated ones I know can probably tell you some detail about the top 50 US cities. I used to have an office in Belgium. It's the same way there. Ditto the Netherlands. The parts of Europe where English isn't the dominant second language, it falls off quickly.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:26 PM

676 posts, read 646,949 times
People are thinking too much about economic and political importance than the question posed. Economic indicators are easy to look up and so are population numbers, and we all know where they rank. I've lived and traveled in Asia for a while and currently live in Canada, and from my observations the places people are most likely to know something about (even among those who couldn't name more than 20 cities in the world):

1. New York / Los Angeles - Hard to actually say which is more well known internationally. Domestically and in business, finance, politics etc. people might know more about New York, but people around the world, from the hutongs of China to the alleys of Kathmandu to the shops in Port Morseby all might have a more coherent, visceral image of Los Angeles than New York. I certainly did growing up, from hollywood, to the Lakers, to beaches, SoCal lifestyle and surf culture. That said, tons of cultural icons in New York as well, so either one is debatable.

2. San Francisco. This one is evident to me traveling through East Asia, which is among the biggest player of the international world. Almost everyone has an idea or image of San Francisco, especially the Golden Gate bridge and Apple, which in the minds of people is culturally tied to SF even though it's in Cupertino. It may not have as much fame as Los Angeles, but it likely is more famous and well known than any other American city other than the top two. Most Canadians know a lot about San Francisco but wouldn't be able to point out Chicago or Washington on a map, and they're the closest neighbors.

3. Las Vegas. Outside of a very rural village or uncontacted tribes most people in the planet probably has heard of this place, or knows someone that has gone.

4. Miami - People in Asia mostly sort of know of this place, and so do Canadians. Now if you include basically the entirety of Latin America and it's safe to say Miami is very recognizable internationally especially given its weather, party lifestyle and beaches in the United States.

5. Hawai'i / Honolulu - Who the heck in the world hasn't heard of Hawaii?? I have a feeling even someone in Turkmenistan or northern Finland has heard of this lush tropical island with Wal-Marts and Starbucks... but hasn't heard of the cities below this.

6. Washington D.C. - It's hard to argue that the capital of the world's premiere economic and cultural power doesn't belong in the top 5 most known American cities in the world, but poll someone on a rural street in a foreign country and ask where they think the capital of the USA is and they'd probably say New York.

7. Boston - Buoyed by its Ivy League universities that many people around the world want to send their kids to.

8. Chicago. There may be a lot of domestic interest and love for Chicago, and there is strong respect for its vibrancy and architecture, but simply put it is not as famous as its population ranking in the United States might suggest. Really, after travelling around Asia for a while - China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan - and very few know of this city, or much about it other than Michael Jordan.

9. Orlando, if only for Disney World and Universal Studios.

10. Philadelphia - UPenn. That's probably what most of the world thinks of it (And might not even attribute it to Philadelphia... Should've been named UPhil!)

San Diego has a strong claim to the top 10 for its beaches and weather but its overshadowed by LA.

Seattle might come next for Amazon, but I'd wager (with a bit of homerism) Vancouver is much more famous in the world.

Houston will be known well in China for the Rockets and Yao Ming so could be a darkhorse contender (even more so now thanks to Daryl Morey).

Atlanta maybe for its hip hop scene but step outside the USA and very, very few people know much about it.

Dallas could make an argument too but it's probably the most domestically inflated city in importance vs. its presence and knowledge in the world.

Last edited by svelten; 10-16-2019 at 03:36 PM..

Old 10-16-2019, 03:38 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
People are thinking too much about economic and political importance than the question posed. Economic indicators are easy to look up and so are population numbers, and we all know where they rank. I've lived and traveled in Asia for a while and currently live in Canada, and from my observations the places people are most likely to know something about (even among those who couldn't name more than 20 cities in the world):

1. New York / Los Angeles - Hard to actually say which is more well known internationally. Domestically and in business, finance, politics etc. people might know more about New York, but people around the world, from the hutongs of China to the alleys of Kathmandu to the shops in Port Morseby all might have a more coherent, visceral image of Los Angeles than New York. I certainly did growing up, from hollywood, to the Lakers, to beaches, SoCal lifestyle and surf culture. That said, tons of cultural icons in New York as well, so either one is debatable.

2. San Francisco. This one is evident to me traveling through East Asia, which is among the biggest player of the international world. Almost everyone has an idea or image of San Francisco, especially the Golden Gate bridge and Apple, which in the minds of people is culturally tied to SF even though it's in Cupertino. It may not have as much fame as Los Angeles, but it likely is more famous and well known than any other American city other than the top two. Most Canadians know a lot about San Francisco but wouldn't be able to point out Chicago or Washington on a map, and they're the closest neighbors.

3. Las Vegas. Outside of a very rural village or uncontacted tribes most people in the planet probably has heard of this place, or knows someone that has gone.

4. Miami - People in Asia mostly sort of know of this place, and so do Canadians. Now if you include basically the entirety of Latin America and it's safe to say Miami is very recognizable internationally especially given its weather, party lifestyle and beaches in the United States.

5. Hawai'i / Honolulu - Who the heck in the world hasn't heard of Hawaii?? I have a feeling even someone in Turkmenistan or northern Finland has heard of this lush tropical island with Wal-Marts and Starbucks... but hasn't heard of the cities below this.

6. Washington D.C. - It's hard to argue that the capital of the world's premiere economic and cultural power doesn't belong in the top 5 most known American cities in the world, but poll someone on a rural street in a foreign country and ask where they think the capital of the USA is and they'd probably say New York.

7. Boston - Buoyed by its Ivy League universities that many people around the world want to send their kids to.

8. Chicago. There may be a lot of domestic interest and love for Chicago, and there is strong respect for its vibrancy and architecture, but simply put it is not as famous as its population ranking in the United States might suggest. Really, after travelling around Asia for a while - China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan - and very few know of this city, or much about it other than Michael Jordan.

9. Orlando, if only for Disney World and Universal Studios.

10. Philadelphia - UPenn. That's probably what most of the world thinks of it (And might not even attribute it to Philadelphia... Should've been named UPhil!)

Seattle might come next for Amazon, but I'd wager (with a bit of homerism) Vancouver is much more famous in the world. San Diego probably has a stronger claim to the top 10.

Atlanta maybe for its hip hop scene but step outside the USA and very, very few people know much about it.

Houston will be known well in China for the Rockets and Yao Ming so could be a darkhorse contender (even more so now thanks to Daryl Morey).

Dallas could make an argument too but it's probably the most domestically inflated city in importance vs. its presence and knowledge in the world.
Both of your posts have been very logical and realistic.

However, for Philadelphia, from what I have experienced, the cheesesteak and Rocky (although we view those as trivial) have been connected to Philadelphia in the most random places, most notably a town in Thailand. I think little things like that matter more than we think.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:10 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This has nothing to do with Chicago. It's the bizarre provincial attitude that people elsewhere in the world somehow have intimate knowledge of a long list of American cities. Canadians? Sure. They can't escape it. I've done business travel all over the world. I spent the last decade working for Asian companies. Some Chinese software engineer in Wuhan doesn't know where Chicago is or anything about the city. They got a smattering of US geography as part of their English language courses the way I got French geography in all those years of French I took. I'm metro Boston. That engineer in Wuhan knows nothing about Boston and I generally say New York so they at least get my timezone right. ...and that's highly educated, high performance people.
Imagine living in a Chinese city with no beach, cold weather, thousands of years of history, 2000 foot skyscrapers, 220 mph trains pulling into the city.....why would Chicago even stand out in your mind? Unless there is a business/educational connection, I really wouldn't expect a foreigner to know Chicago, Philly, or Boston. They would maybe know D.C. from watching the news or as a general fact that its the administrative capital of the U.S.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:15 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Both of your posts have been very logical and realistic.

However, for Philadelphia, from what I have experienced, the cheesesteak and Rocky (although we view those as trivial) have been connected to Philadelphia in the most random places, most notably a town in Thailand. I think little things like that matter more than we think.
I agree. His last one was well thought out. It's also easy to leave out a few things.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Wow, so many people are so sadly uninformed.

Orlando and Tampa above Chicago?...Have these posters even been to an international destination before??

Florida as a state is probably known throughout most of the world, but I know New Yorkers who couldn't tell you the first thing about Orlando or Tampa, you think an average person in Croatia, Kenya, New Zealand or anywhere else has even heard of them???

Disney is well known, but hardly anyone could make the connection between Disney and Orlando, that is not a well-known thing. Heck, I could see Pittsburgh being more well known than Orlando or Tampa (similar sized cities).

Finally, what is up with the disdain toward Chicago??? Chicago is 100% absolutely well known throughout the world, I would put Chicago at number 3 after New York and LA. I get it, some people don't like Chicago, but lets not let personal vendettas get in the way of facts and reality.

And of course, in the end, this thread is largely based on opinions, some stats, (sad assumptions), but I consider myself extremely well traveled for business and pleasure, so I am not blowing smoke with my statements, unlike many others on here.
Yeah, I think this kind of post really belongs on the World forum because I assume more foreign people access it?

Old 10-16-2019, 05:07 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Yeah, I think this kind of post really belongs on the World forum because I assume more foreign people access it?
Not really, a hand full at most. Most of them educated to lived in the US or visited more then a average person and business of course.

So even if moved .... not much. There is a Europe one but not sure if this qualifies for that one.

Europeans .... especially if under 40. Might have the most. Social media is a powerful force. No one means people of the mountains of Chile...... . Also no one expects the Level of NYC, LA for Hollywood. DC obvious as the Capital, SF perhaps and resort cities.

Just some want to totally write off others..... especially listed for Global significance alone. Recognition clearly has levels and education to Social media play roles in people when all over the world. California as a whole does as its mystic, that is still alive in the world.

* There is really no criteria asked for by the OP but most and least known. Not even what are top 5 or 10 etc. So ALL comments and replies are valid. But to deny certain cities from a Top 10 list PERSIST ON THEIR EXCLUSION ..... SEEMED OVER THE TOP and limit it to basically 4. When no number was asked ...was a bit Overboard I thought. Takes only a key reason or two for recognition. To some interest in a past era holds interest for them. No matter the education level or how well traveled.

We forget the US geography they get in School in the world and influence of movies, TV and Social media today and news events alone.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:48 PM

561 posts, read 513,554 times
I read through this thread and most of it is quite entertaining..

In any case, believe it or not, Omaha is known internationally for 2 prominent reasons-

#1) Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway. Every year, 50,000 shareholders from around the world make their pilgrimage annually every May to Berkshire Hathaway’s international convention..

And

#2) Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo.. Which is renowned, world wide, as a top 5 zoo in the world..

Don’t sneeze at a metro of 1 million, like Omaha, punching weight above some metros in the 2 to 3 million range within the context of this topic.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:01 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
Wow, that's a stretch. Seattle is home to the TWO richest people in the world, both probably more famous than Warren Buffett, and I'm not claiming that makes us famous. Buffett is giving most of his money away through Gates. Their companies are tied to our brand to to a degree, but I only said #10 with that among other things. As for the zoo, I doubt more than a tiny percentage associates Omaha with zoos at all.

As for Vancouver, I agree it might be (I'll say might) more famous that Seattle on average. It's far more famous in places that used to be in the British Empire or currently have those ties. For the rest, I have no idea, but suspect it's at least more even if not in the reverse. Vancouver's massive film industry portrays Seattle more than itself in terms of major movies, or that's my impression. The business world is an obvious difference. Coffee and so-called grunge music. The WTO riots of 1999, along with the movie about them. We've taken more than half of Vancouver's cruise industry, through probably tilting toward US-based customers. The winter Olympics might tilt things more Vancouver's way, and its world's fair was more recent than either of ours.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:20 PM

561 posts, read 513,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Wow, that's a stretch. Seattle is home to the TWO richest people in the world, both probably more famous than Warren Buffett, and I'm not claiming that makes us famous. Buffett is giving most of his money away through Gates. Their companies are tied to our brand to to a degree, but I only said #10 with that among other things. As for the zoo, I doubt more than a tiny percentage associates Omaha with zoos at all.
I appreciate your opinion. And I understand what you’re saying, but Warren Buffett and his Berkshire Hathaway convention is no joke- and it’s reach is not a stretch.. The Omaha Zoo, surprisingly is world renowned, believe that or not.. People from all over the world visit Omaha specifically for the zoo- which is the #1 tourist attraction in the state of Nebraska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.