Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:40 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Probably so. I think plenty of places will fit the OP's criteria because he doesn't care about living in the thick of things. It may be tricky finding a "liberal" area, though. Outside of Asheville is worth looking into, IMO.

Maybe somewhere in the Pacific NW?
When people say "good weather", the Pacific NW tends to get disqualified based on that.

Also, it's too close to California to be that cheap. Rents in Seattle and Portland are going up rapidly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Probably so. I think plenty of places will fit the OP's criteria because he doesn't care about living in the thick of things. It may be tricky finding a "liberal" area, though. Outside of Asheville is worth looking into, IMO.
Areas outside of Asheville have been trending more liberal with the higher cost of living there and lack of inventory in some price brackets as some are being priced out of the real estate market "in town".

Old 06-28-2014, 12:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
OP, based on your criteria, the only choices you have would be some random small rust belt cities in places like Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Indiana. It's extremely hard to find decent housing for under $100K in a place that's not depressed.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:10 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
OP, based on your criteria, the only choices you have would be some random small rust belt cities in places like Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Indiana. It's extremely hard to find decent housing for under $100K in a place that's not depressed.
That's absolutely correct, we got off the 100K limit in this thread. For liberal and affordable the college towns in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois and Michigan and to a lesser extent Pennsylvania are the best options. I really think the OP would find a decent fit in Bloomington or Champaign the best.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:38 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,357 times
I'd look at Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. It fits most of your criteria pretty nicely.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:45 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
I'd look at Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. It fits most of your criteria pretty nicely.
What about Moscow or Pocatello due to both having 2 of the 3 major universities in the state?

Old 06-30-2014, 01:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Moscow or Pocatello due to both having 2 of the 3 major universities in the state?
Moscow: too expensive, median list price is $220K, a drop of very light blue in a deep sea of red. Otherwise fits.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:10 AM

4 posts, read 4,625 times
I've actually been looking into that area, Spokane specifically. The weather is nice(pacific nw weather is good weather to me), I love the scenery there, lots of outdoorsy things to do, it's pretty affordable, etc. The crime is high in that area, but I've read it's mostly property crime. I'm okay with a not-so-great economy; the unemployment rate is high here, plus it's expensive, so most other places would be an improvement.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:53 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
When people say "good weather", the Pacific NW tends to get disqualified based on that.

Also, it's too close to California to be that cheap. Rents in Seattle and Portland are going up rapidly.
People are recommending mid-west and upper east coast areas so I figured the PNW would be better (weather wise) than that. i don't think of Eureka, CA is that bad expensive wise - but I'm not sure. It's a nice area, for sure. Some of the smaller cities in Oregon were nice and probably not as expensive as Portland but I think they had a higher elevation and thus will be colder.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:40 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossfig View Post
I've actually been looking into that area, Spokane specifically. The weather is nice(pacific nw weather is good weather to me), I love the scenery there, lots of outdoorsy things to do, it's pretty affordable, etc. The crime is high in that area, but I've read it's mostly property crime. I'm okay with a not-so-great economy; the unemployment rate is high here, plus it's expensive, so most other places would be an improvement.
I lived there and loved it. Just note, Spokane has 4 seasons (unlike Seattle, Portland, et al), but fall and spring tend to be pretty short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.