Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:36 PM

35 posts, read 43,140 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am a 28 year old black college graduate (with a bachelors degree in business). I have two beautiful children, and I would like to relocate to a city that is safe, diverse, or somewhat diverse, also, where there are jobs, and decent schools for the children. I'm obviously not caring about the dating scene (AT ALL). I currently live in Seattle, but I don't like it.

Other things that make my city ideal:
SAFETY
Things to do and see/attractions for families
Good public transportation that is not extremely limited
Jobs!

The weather would be nice, but not a priority

All ideas welcome

Thanks!

Last edited by Citylove2014; 06-27-2014 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 01:46 PM

291 posts, read 392,457 times
Have you considered Bellevue?

With new diversity, Bellevue defies its 'Blah-vue' image | FYI Guy | Seattle Times

What about Tacoma? There are areas of Tacoma that are pretty nice, particularly in the north.

Can you give us the specifics of what you don't like about Seattle? The transport situation? The safety situation? That would help us make more specific recommendations.

Last edited by MmeZeeZee; 06-27-2014 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 06-27-2014, 02:56 PM

458 posts, read 958,157 times
Minneapolis, Philadelphia, DC,

Old 06-27-2014, 03:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
2nd vote for Bellevue, WA. I've lived here for a little over 10 years and the worst 'crime' I've experienced was seeing a guy lying in a parking lot. I asked him if he needed an ambulance. He replied 'no' and I continued on my way. I can go running at 1AM with no worries. My vehicles have never been broken into or vandalized.

Schools are good here. Bellevue is more diverse than Seattle. Economy is finally beginning to percolate again after the 2008 crash. There are two massive cranes within a couple blocks of where I live, putting up new buildings. You would be very welcome here.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:29 PM

35 posts, read 43,140 times
Okay, so far Bellevue, Tacoma, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, and DC...two votes for Bellevue. I will research these cities, thank you. In the meantime, any other ideas?

Old 06-28-2014, 06:30 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I second the Washington DC area. The job market is thriving and pretty much recession proof, it's very diverse, has excellent public transit and massive amounts of things to do with numerous museums/National Zoo always free (no admission)....and umpteen other activities happening daily. Check out the Maryland suburbs of Bethesda, Rockville and Chevy Chase as well as the Virginia suburbs of Fairfax, Vienna, Reston and Falls Church plus the District neighborhoods of Friendship Heights, Chevy Chase, Tenleytown, Van Ness, Glover Park, American University Park, Woodley Park and Cleveland Park.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
I'd look at Dallas. It's a booming affordable city that has become a magnet for young Black professionals. Public transportation isn't the best, but you can make it work for you depending on where you live.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:01 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I second the Washington DC area. The job market is thriving and pretty much recession proof, it's very diverse, has excellent public transit and massive amounts of things to do with numerous museums/National Zoo always free (no admission)....and umpteen other activities happening daily. Check out the Maryland suburbs of Bethesda, Rockville and Chevy Chase as well as the Virginia suburbs of Fairfax, Vienna, Reston and Falls Church plus the District neighborhoods of Friendship Heights, Chevy Chase, Tenleytown, Van Ness, Glover Park, American University Park, Woodley Park and Cleveland Park.
I'd also look into Bowie, Greenbelt, Laurel, Columbia and Upper Marlboro in MD as well.

Milton in the Boston area could work as well.

In the Minneapolis area, perhaps parts of Brooklyn Park in the Osseo School District could work.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-28-2014 at 07:59 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 12:04 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd also look into Bowie, Greenbelt, Laurel, Columbia and Upper Marlboro in MD as well.
The schools in Bowie, Greenbelt and Laurel aren't very good plus only one (Greenbelt) is connected to the DC Metro Rail system which would greatly affect commuting time....not to mention all but Columbia are in Prince George's County which has one of the highest crime rates in the country.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:09 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The schools in Bowie, Greenbelt and Laurel aren't very good plus only one (Greenbelt) is connected to the DC Metro Rail system which would greatly affect commuting time....not to mention all but Columbia are in Prince George's County which has one of the highest crime rates in the country.
All of those areas are outside of the Beltway, which is the nicer part of Prince George's County, which also happens to be the most affluent predominately Black county in the country. So, things vary there.

Columbia is in Howard County and employment in Baltimore could be an option from there(and even parts of outer PG County) too.

In the Philadelphia area, Cheltenham, Media, West Chester and Downington may work.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-28-2014 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.