Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,670 times

Advertisements

I am currently in the process of researching cities to move to once I finish college next year. I go to college in Hawaii but want to be on the mainland. It seems everybody else gives a list of what they want from a city and you give them suggestions so that is what I am going to do. I will split it up into some core factors:

- Crime: I am not naïve and I understand that crime is everywhere however I would like to live in a city that is not a high crime city and is nowhere to be found on the top 100 worst cities for crime.

- Weather: I hate humidity and the heat in general. I am much more of a rainy person (ironic considering I live in Hawaii) and would like to escape the heat. I do however like to enjoy sunshine in the summer months but would rather have rain than sun, snow or any other weather any day of the week.

- Economy: Good economy (obviously). My major is a humanities subject so I won't be looking at STEM jobs. I am interested in journalism, marketing, HR and other similar positions.

- Vibe: I am quite shy and hate environments where everyone wants to know your business. That said I do value people being polite and couldn't live in a city where people are extremely pushy and rude. I know that exists everywhere to an extent but some cities are worse than others. I am also more artsy but like football, baseball and soccer; so places where I can find musical-minded people who are into indie, alternative music (HATE COUNTRY, HIP HOP AND DRUM & BASS) are what I would like.

- Activities: As I have said I live music and like watching sports (football, baseball and soccer). I would like the city I move to, to have a team in one or more of the above sports' top leagues. I enjoy fitness and other related ventures.

- Other: I am a Democrat and couldn't live in a place that is overtly conservative because I am also agnostic leaning towards atheist. I value animal rights highly and would consider my political ideology to be liberal (centre-left).

So have any of you got any good suggestions for me? At the moment I am purely in research mode as I have lots of free time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 02:00 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbenson View Post
I am currently in the process of researching cities to move to once I finish college next year. I go to college in Hawaii but want to be on the mainland. It seems everybody else gives a list of what they want from a city and you give them suggestions so that is what I am going to do. I will split it up into some core factors:

- Crime: I am not naïve and I understand that crime is everywhere however I would like to live in a city that is not a high crime city and is nowhere to be found on the top 100 worst cities for crime.

- Weather: I hate humidity and the heat in general. I am much more of a rainy person (ironic considering I live in Hawaii) and would like to escape the heat. I do however like to enjoy sunshine in the summer months but would rather have rain than sun, snow or any other weather any day of the week.

- Economy: Good economy (obviously). My major is a humanities subject so I won't be looking at STEM jobs. I am interested in journalism, marketing, HR and other similar positions.

- Vibe: I am quite shy and hate environments where everyone wants to know your business. That said I do value people being polite and couldn't live in a city where people are extremely pushy and rude. I know that exists everywhere to an extent but some cities are worse than others. I am also more artsy but like football, baseball and soccer; so places where I can find musical-minded people who are into indie, alternative music (HATE COUNTRY, HIP HOP AND DRUM & BASS) are what I would like.

- Activities: As I have said I live music and like watching sports (football, baseball and soccer). I would like the city I move to, to have a team in one or more of the above sports' top leagues. I enjoy fitness and other related ventures.

- Other: I am a Democrat and couldn't live in a place that is overtly conservative because I am also agnostic leaning towards atheist. I value animal rights highly and would consider my political ideology to be liberal (centre-left).

So have any of you got any good suggestions for me? At the moment I am purely in research mode as I have lots of free time.

Top 100 though...

Old 06-29-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Top 100 though...
Why is that weird? No city on this list: [url=http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/top100dangerous/]Top 100 most dangerous places to live in the USA - NeighborhoodScout[/url]

Is that too hard to grasp for you?

Old 06-29-2014, 03:24 PM

617 posts, read 1,201,803 times
Seattle 100% fits your criteria. Portland would work as well.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:04 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Yeah it kinda seems as if you were trying to get people to throw accolades at Seattle through your thinly veiled description.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:52 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Seattle is definitely a good choice, but you should consider DC too -- if you can bend on the weather requirement. (DC can get six, eight weeks humid weather in the summer). Very good job market in non-STEM fields and there are very large parts of the city and metro area where crime just isn't an issue. I don't care what that list says. Putting DC right next to Compton in terms of crime is just totally ridiculous. I would advise you not to take that list too seriously. DC meets all your other requirements, plus it's totally fun for new college grads and a good place to start a career.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arushan View Post
Seattle 100% fits your criteria. Portland would work as well.
Too expensive; well Seattle anyway. I forgot to add the "Cost of Living" section. I will update the OP now

Old 06-30-2014, 04:11 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
Central-city Seattle and Portland are expensive; their suburbs less so.

And there are smaller cities in the Northwest that have the climate you seek - Eugene, Salem, Olympia, Tacoma, Bellingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.