Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 17,652 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My name is Elizabeth, I’m a Russian student and a participant of the international exchange program. Next summer (2008) I am going to visit the US in order to improve my English, learn more about America, earn some money and (hope, that I’ll do!) find new friends abroad . I participate in the “Work and Travel”, and it means, that I need to find seasonal job on the territory of the USA. The problem is that I can’t choose the right place. Most of foreign students prefer such cities as Wildwood, Cape Code (MD), Myrtle Beach and so on. But I’m targeted at communicating with Americans, so, as I see it, living in a city, full of Russian students, it will be quite hard to do this...
I would like to visit some state in the northeastern part of the country. Could you please help me to find a place, where I will be able to find summer job and where are not so many foreign seasonal workers? Cheap housing also would be desirable.
What state and city to choose?
Would greatly appreciate any information, concerning the subject, and any pieces of advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 12:41 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
What do you mean with cheap housing? It depends what you're comparing to in Russia. If you're from Moscow even NYC will not be too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaRus View Post
I would like to visit some state in the northeastern part of the country. Could you please help me to find a place, where I will be able to find summer job and where are not so many foreign seasonal workers? Cheap housing also would be desirable.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 17,652 times
2Internat.
Comparing to in the US. I mean, that even in one state housing can be more expensive in one city, than in other. Am I right?
Generally, cheap housing is not a pivotal thing. Jop opportunity is much more important...

Old 12-17-2007, 12:58 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,032 times
Skip Fla And Nj---rest Of Country Is Nice!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:31 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Unless you stick to just foreign exchange students, you can't help but have exchanges with Americans because we are all over the place and notoriously poor at anything but English. Some will argue that lots of Americans are not good at English either. Be friendly, ask for help with the language and apologize for your lack of skill and most people can't help but warm to you and help you out.

Most of the NE is high rent and the places with more jobs usually have higher rent. It would be a good idea to have some sort of job lined up before you come and let that dictate where you go. Not having good English skills, or a degree puts you at a handicap in the job market in competing with all the American kids at the same point in life.

Enjoy your adventure!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:48 PM

333 posts, read 467,245 times
Reading your posts I find your English to be quite well - better than many Americans!

There are many places in the Northeast that you may like- Manhattan (very expensive but worldly) is a good starting point. If you decide you don't want to be in New York City, the suburbs are great too (Stamford, Connecticut; White Plains, NY). The cost of living in the suburbs here is very pricey but offers very much in the way of jobs. New Haven is inexpensive and has a sophisticated feel largely due to the amount of universities within city limits (Yale, Univ of New Haven, Albertus Magnus, Southern CT State). Jobs in the New Haven area are plentiful and if you don't have a car, you have access to Metro-North commuter rail into New York City, walkable neighborhoods and plenty of cabs.

Another area I might recommend is Providence. The city is very nice, relatively inexpensive compared to other major cities in the Northeast corridor and has a good job opportunities.

Areas to stay away from would be Newark, Bridgeport and (I know I'll get some heat for this) Baltimore.

To find jobs, craigslist.com is a great place to look.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:54 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
Skip Fla And Nj---rest Of Country Is Nice!
You don't even live anywhere near New Jersey, how can you say all of it is a hole? There are many nice parts of NJ, even just across the Hudson where everybody seems to think is a ghetto.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
You don't even live anywhere near New Jersey, how can you say all of it is a hole? There are many nice parts of NJ, even just across the Hudson where everybody seems to think is a ghetto.
This is very true. Some towns just across the river are among the most affluent in the nation.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:00 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
Reading your posts I find your English to be quite well - better than many Americans!
That is sad.

Quote:
There are many places in the Northeast that you may like- Manhattan (very expensive but worldly) is a good starting point.
Why haven't you suggested Boston?

Old 12-17-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Why haven't you suggested Boston?
I know Boston is also a fine city, but I don't know anything about it. I was there once 15 years ago, and I was very young. It's funny how I grew up in Connecticut and have been overseas many times, but haven't gotten up there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.