Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:17 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think New York is the only city that calls it a subway. I've never heard it called that anywhere else.
Toronto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 06:19 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
Yes in Los Angeles.

At first I thought you were asking if any cities outside NYC had metro systems and I was about to die!

Old 07-05-2014, 07:17 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Toronto
I think she meant only cities in the United States.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:17 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think New York is the only city that calls it a subway. I've never heard it called that anywhere else.
Toronto does.

Edit- Whoops, I see someone beat me to it.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:17 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Atlanta's MARTA goes underneath the airport and other places. Boston has some subways as well.

world.nycsubway.org: Atlanta, Georgia
world.nycsubway.org: United States
I love this site. This is for all the train geeks like me .

Old 07-05-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
While we're at this game (labeling transit systems as underground, at grade, or elevated) I'll add that the NYC subway also has at-grade and elevated sections.

Alright, back to the OP's question, I think NYC is unique for the US in that most of its transit system is underground. So calling the whole system the subway makes the most sense in NYC compared to many other metros. I could be wrong but off the top of my head it does seem that way. In some cities I will say subway when I'm trying to specify the underground areas. And when I'm in NYC sometimes I say metro since it's the called the Metrocard (but I've never lived there so I don't claim to be a local)
Depends where you go. Most of the subway is underground in manhattan. The outter boroughs most of the lines are elevated.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I do agree that Washington DC has the cleanest subway system in the entire Northeast Corridor. I think we can both agree that New York City has the dirtiest subway system.
Despite New York having the dirtiest system, it's actually not as dirty as city-data posters like to brag about, and especially not as dirty or no where near as dirty as it was in the 70s/80s.

I actually want to take some pics to post online because nowadays you won't see trash littered in the stations. I observed this while walking through the 14th street station on the A line (one of the so called dirtiest trains). Realistically the dirtiest part of the NYC subway is the tracks. I can't tell the difference between the tracks and garbage cans sometimes.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Most definitely haha When I rode the NYC Subway when visiting for the first time back in '03, the trains we rode were pretty dirty with litter and grimy windows and a little bit of basic graffiti (the amateur stuff you see on public restroom door stalls lol), and this was in Times Square and Rockefeller Center. However, back in 2012, the trains we rode between Fort Greene and the FiDi were pretty clean that time around. They looked like they were new cars too. The stations were still nasty as hell though.....LOL
What train was this? Because the only trains I know that go through forte green are the A/C/G and out of those three trains only the C got new ones and that was just only last month.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:37 PM

A little bit off topic but when I was young I thought all subways in every city had 3/4 tracks per line and had express service with trains running side by side like NYC.

But It's starting to seem as if most subways around the country only have 2 tracks per line if I'm correct?

It actually made riding the subway very fun as a kid.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:04 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
A little bit off topic but when I was young I thought all subways in every city had 3/4 tracks per line and had express service with trains running side by side like NYC.

But It's starting to seem as if most subways around the country only have 2 tracks per line if I'm correct?

It actually made riding the subway very fun as a kid.
As far as I know, Chicago and Philadelphia are the only other cities that have dedicated express subway tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.