Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Asheville does fit the description quite well, it has a huge metro area for its size too. I think that is from being so close Greenville, Charlotte, Knoxville, etc... If it were more isolated it would be, by far, the king of this conversation.

This thread is really so I can find out about cities I didn't know of, under the radar types. Although I do think Ashville is a wonderful city, it is pretty far from low-key these days.
Umm, it's not close to Greenville, Knoxville or Charlotte. It's an hour to Greenville and two hours to either Charlotte or Knoxville. It doesn't get much more stand alone than that in the US. As an FYI if you find a city of similar size that's "low key" it's pretty much going to mean it's yawn worthy and not some place you describe as "urban, vibrant or with a cool factor" in your original post unless you're changing up the criteria as we move along here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Apparently the option can't be within two hours of another large city...

Old 07-07-2014, 01:55 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Almost twice the MSA I suggested, and again, very close to the Philly MSA. Still, absolutely beautiful architecture!

Old 07-07-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Apparently the option can't be within two hours of another large city...
You took what I said a little harsher than what I meant. I didn't say that Ashville didn't fit at all, it just isn't the kind of city I am specifically looking for.

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
You took what I said a little harsher than what I meant. I didn't say that Ashville didn't fit at all, it just isn't the kind of city I am specifically looking for.

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Oh, thanks but no hurt feelings at all. Just trying to figure out your criteria.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Umm, it's not close to Greenville, Knoxville or Charlotte. It's an hour to Greenville and two hours to either Charlotte or Knoxville. It doesn't get much more stand alone than that in the US. As an FYI if you find a city of similar size that's "low key" it's pretty much going to mean it's yawn worthy and not some place you describe as "urban, vibrant or with a cool factor" in your original post unless you're changing up the criteria as we move along here.
Close is relative. I live in Denver and have a different definition than you... if I can get there in less than three hours, I don't consider it far away.

I was more commenting on how it is almost centrally between the three.

Yawn worthy is relative. I am including cities that are as low as 20k population... cities of that size can definitely be more vibrant or urban than other cities of the same size.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Oh, thanks but no hurt feelings at all. Just trying to figure out your criteria.
Ok, I wasn't trying to be confrontational or shoot down your ideas at all. I may not have explained what I was looking for the best in the OP, I have made some new suggestions to try and clear it up.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Yawn worthy is relative. I am including cities that are as low as 20k population... cities of that size can definitely be more vibrant or urban than other cities of the same size.
They might be more vibrant than another town of similar size but wouldn't be confused with the terms
"urban, vibrant or with a cool factor" which was your original criteria. If they were we wouldn't have to go looking for them, word tends to get out.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:20 PM

Dubuque, Iowa is a good example of the kind of cities I am looking for. The population is slightly under 60k, and it anchors a region. Despite it's small size and the small size of it's metro, it has a pretty urban downtown with surprising vibrancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE0EkR0Zz8s

Streetview

Streetview

Streetview

Streetview

Streetview

Streetview

Pretty surprising and impressive for a city under 60k and a metro less than 100k. I hope this example shows what I am looking for a lil better so that no conflicts arise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.