Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 04:47 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
Well with your bigoted remarks I have to say I'm happy you got a $50. It's funny, because if were a straight couple "sucking face in public" you probably wouldn't have noticed, or if it were a lesbian couple you would have probably gotten a cheap thrill.
Well, as offended as you were by his remarks, some others (ie Capt. Dan) are offended by seeing two guys making out and grinding sausages. Is there different kinds of offenses or something? Funny how some only see out of a one-way window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:13 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,752,047 times
I'll probably be called a homophobe for this, but seeing people making out and "grinding" in public would cause me to go somewhere else, whether they were the same sex or not.

Call me close-minded if you want, I would just rather not see it. Get a room.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:19 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,297,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hstfan82 View Post
I would agree in the sense that if you just hang out in the suburbs, you won't see anything but a lot of restaurants and shopping (more than you'd see about anywhere). However, the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth both have some top rated art museums, the best indie movie theaters in the country (Anglelika and others), good restaurants, some nice parks, and it gets about any band/artist that's touring. It's the 4th largest city in the country (metro area) and so you can find a little bit of everything. If you going there looking for what you think you'll hate about it, then you'll find some of it, but there is much that is often overlooked. It also has numerous and beautiful live oak trees that keep the city looking pretty green in the wintertime. The weather is very comfortable from Thanksgiving to Easter, when much of the rest of the country is unbearably cold. If you don't like the prairie terrain though, you will probably find it kind of ugly.
That's probably one of the best descriptions of Dallas that I've heard.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:34 PM

23,309 posts, read 43,763,348 times
South Beach...way overpriced; most of the 'boutique' hotels that I've seen had small uncomfortable rooms and I felt like I was helping to underwrite the ongoing cost of renovation. Definitely not a lot of bang for your buck if you're American.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:35 PM

23,309 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
That's probably one of the best descriptions of Dallas that I've heard.
I had a friend describe it as Oklahoma City on steroids...I rather liked that one.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:16 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,257,206 times
I realize this was a while ago but I need to give my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Mind View Post
places like NYC, chicago, LA (too much urban sprawl...sometimes i wonder if people whos been there their whole lives have ever seen open space)
Chicago doesn't have a lot of urban sprawl, there is no place to sprawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Valley View Post
To be honest with you, the bad parts of Chicago were more vast than what I have ever seen in DC, and I have lived in the nations capital for most of my life. DC is really cleaning up and growing at a good pace. I thought in the last census report it was reported that Chicago was loosing population, while places like DC actually grew? Maybe I'm wrong? If this is true, I would imagine this it is due in large part to the ever growing amount of poverty that blankets the entire western and southern portions of the city, and even some of the suburban locations. I believe that this is a midwestern trend that can be seen in other cities also like Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis. Chicago isn't the only one suffering when it comes to lose of population, and rising crime. The sunbelt phenomenon has attracted the nations population trends into their backyards while leaving midwestern locations in trouble.
DC has less land to be "bad" and since the 90s the high rises have been cleaned up and torn down. As far as actual cleanliness goes, Chicago is VERY clean compared to Los Angeles and New York City.

And the area around the American Girl Doll Store is bad!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I love how Chicagoans seem to be some of the only people who will consistantly put up a fight for their city in any converstation! People have mentioned many other cities and no one really came to a defense or cared.

I tend to do the same thing, and I love Chicago (I'm not even from here), but I've noticed and heard a lot that Chicagoans are hands down some of the most fierce supporters of their community, and have a tremendous amount of civic pride. I think it's a good thing, just kinda funny and quirky.
I am a firm believer in backing where you are from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Valley View Post
political, etc. center for the known universe!
That I would debate: Richard J. Daley and now son.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:12 PM

14,304 posts, read 14,099,588 times
I am way too late to be posting here, but I will. Consider the following:

Most overrated:

1. Boise, Idaho. Boise is talked up by some people as a neat city with a riverparkway etc. In reality, its a city surrounded on 3 sides by desert. Its really too small to have much of anything. It claims to be "where the Northwest begins". I'd say they need to go at least as far north as Spokane, Washington to find that place. Finally, Idaho is a cheap, conservative state. In my experience the infrastructure (roads, sidewalks, utilities, schools) is very underfunded and in bad shape. There are too many chain restaurants and not enough places indigenous to the area.

2. I'd concur with what many others said about Austin. You can get good barbeque there, but I'm not really sure what else. I found the country music a bit hard to find during my visit. The state capitol is an interesting place to visit, but not as nice as a number of other capitols I've seen.

3. Denver. There is much beauty in Colorado and you don't have to go to far from the mile high city to find it. However, the city itself is not too great. The geography is such that even though it is a "mile high" you are in a basin after having descended from mountains that are much higher. That basin gradually slopes downhill all the way east into Kansas. The city is polluted and it has a very artificial feel to it. Entering the city from I-70, you pass through some poor areas. There are alot of "pretentious and plastic" surburbs around Denver.

4. Savannah, Georgia. I visited Savannah on a road trip after being told it was full of historic buildings and sights. It may be. However, what one notices the most is just rot and decay. This place obviously has seen better days. Our chain motel was in the middle of a ghetto that frightened me to go out in even during the middle of the day. Even the area by the ocean looks run down.

None of the last four cities is that bad though they just don't live up to expectations. Here are my worst:

1. Phoenix. Hot in the summer and dirty. The suburbs like Scottsdale (Snobbsdale) are full of pretentious nouveau riche people who like to show everyone how much money they are making. Maybe the warm weather in the winter makes up for it. I've always been there during other seasons.

2. Houston. Hot, humid, polluted, and flat. The violent crime rate is horrible. There are more people on death row from Harris County, TX than from the population of most of the states in the USA. Finally, its close enough to the ocean to be threatened by hurricanes blowing in from the Gulf of Mexico. If there is something that makes living here worthwhile, I'd like to know what it is.

3. Sacramento. Another hot barren place. Avoid it completely in the summer if you can. Its too far from Sierras to have any mountain beauty. Parts of the downtown are absolutely falling apart. I was even disappointed by the parts around the Sacramento River. It didn't look good at all. Trashy is how I would describe it. I saw lots of homeless people and bums panhandling.

4. Albuquerque. Every time I drive into town the first thing I seem to notice is how run down it appears. Its every bit in the desert as much as a city like Las Vegas is. When I see it, I understand why this state was chosen to test the first atomic bomb. There are some sights like "Old Town" that are definitely worth visiting. However, they can't make up for the dirtiness, the falling apart buildings, and the desert that is everywhere.

5. Reno. The "Biggest/Littlest City in the World" has a sort of seediness that is hard to describe unless you go there. People in Nevada are notorious for not wanting to pay taxes and there is a lack of basic infrastructure which includes a lack of sidewalks in some parts of town. Pawn shops, rundown motels, and convenience stores are everywhere. After years of trying, city officials finally got the railroad tracks changed and they no longer cross Virginia Street downtown which used to tie up traffic in a way that was truly intolerable. Lots of crime for a city of this size. Lots of homeless people. Lots of working people with starvation wages who are struggling to get by. People move in and move out of this city with amazing speed.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I am way too late to be posting here, but I will. Consider the following:

Most overrated:

1. Boise, Idaho. Boise is talked up by some people as a neat city with a riverparkway etc. In reality, its a city surrounded on 3 sides by desert. Its really too small to have much of anything. It claims to be "where the Northwest begins". I'd say they need to go at least as far north as Spokane, Washington to find that place. Finally, Idaho is a cheap, conservative state. In my experience the infrastructure (roads, sidewalks, utilities, schools) is very underfunded and in bad shape. There are too many chain restaurants and not enough places indigenous to the area.

2. I'd concur with what many others said about Austin. You can get good barbeque there, but I'm not really sure what else. I found the country music a bit hard to find during my visit. The state capitol is an interesting place to visit, but not as nice as a number of other capitols I've seen.

3. Denver. There is much beauty in Colorado and you don't have to go to far from the mile high city to find it. However, the city itself is not too great. The geography is such that even though it is a "mile high" you are in a basin after having descended from mountains that are much higher. That basin gradually slopes downhill all the way east into Kansas. The city is polluted and it has a very artificial feel to it. Entering the city from I-70, you pass through some poor areas. There are alot of "pretentious and plastic" surburbs around Denver.

4. Savannah, Georgia. I visited Savannah on a road trip after being told it was full of historic buildings and sights. It may be. However, what one notices the most is just rot and decay. This place obviously has seen better days. Our chain motel was in the middle of a ghetto that frightened me to go out in even during the middle of the day. Even the area by the ocean looks run down.

None of the last four cities is that bad though they just don't live up to expectations. Here are my worst:

1. Phoenix. Hot in the summer and dirty. The suburbs like Scottsdale (Snobbsdale) are full of pretentious nouveau riche people who like to show everyone how much money they are making. Maybe the warm weather in the winter makes up for it. I've always been there during other seasons.

2. Houston. Hot, humid, polluted, and flat. The violent crime rate is horrible. There are more people on death row from Harris County, TX than from the population of most of the states in the USA. Finally, its close enough to the ocean to be threatened by hurricanes blowing in from the Gulf of Mexico. If there is something that makes living here worthwhile, I'd like to know what it is.

3. Sacramento. Another hot barren place. Avoid it completely in the summer if you can. Its too far from Sierras to have any mountain beauty. Parts of the downtown are absolutely falling apart. I was even disappointed by the parts around the Sacramento River. It didn't look good at all. Trashy is how I would describe it. I saw lots of homeless people and bums panhandling.

4. Albuquerque. Every time I drive into town the first thing I seem to notice is how run down it appears. Its every bit in the desert as much as a city like Las Vegas is. When I see it, I understand why this state was chosen to test the first atomic bomb. There are some sights like "Old Town" that are definitely worth visiting. However, they can't make up for the dirtiness, the falling apart buildings, and the desert that is everywhere.

5. Reno. The "Biggest/Littlest City in the World" has a sort of seediness that is hard to describe unless you go there. People in Nevada are notorious for not wanting to pay taxes and there is a lack of basic infrastructure which includes a lack of sidewalks in some parts of town. Pawn shops, rundown motels, and convenience stores are everywhere. After years of trying, city officials finally got the railroad tracks changed and they no longer cross Virginia Street downtown which used to tie up traffic in a way that was truly intolerable. Lots of crime for a city of this size. Lots of homeless people. Lots of working people with starvation wages who are struggling to get by. People move in and move out of this city with amazing speed.
I wasn't aware people had high expectations for Houston considering we get little to no publicity lol.

I pick Washington DC!

Beautiful city,but that's it.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:56 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,782,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Beautiful city,but that's it.
Much more to DC than that. Lots of cultural amenities, great economic stability (thanks to the feds), great mass transit, very urban, vibrant neighborhoods, great nightlife, etc.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Much more to DC than that. Lots of cultural amenities, great economic stability (thanks to the feds), great mass transit, very urban, vibrant neighborhoods, great nightlife, etc.
Yes and about every other city that has been listed has those things (with exception of mass transit). It dosen't mean its a great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.