Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:46 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,313 times

Advertisements

The HQ of the company I use to work at, is located in suburban New York City (New Jersey) and the people at this office were generally abrupt, harsh, hurried and TYPE A. You could cut the tension with a knife. I had a chance to visit the staff at all the site locations located throughout America, and found a completely different environment. Our staff at our locations in Knoxville, TN, Houston, Atlanta, Richmond and Columbus were far more relaxed and the friendly. We would try to organize Company Picnics at our New Jersey office but got very little attendance (they thought it was dumb) while the events at our other offices went off well and I found many friendships in the offices.

When I would call people at our offices down south, the staff member would want to chat first before moving to business, in New Jersey phone calls are abrupt and quick. It would drive our southern staff crazy.

What impact does community location have on corporate culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 08:12 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
I think you answered your own question.

I have a friend who does more traveling for business that I, and she always reports that whenever she goes out west, she's overdressed.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:25 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
The HQ of the company I use to work at, is located in suburban New York City (New Jersey) and the people at this office were generally abrupt, harsh, hurried and TYPE A. You could cut the tension with a knife. I had a chance to visit the staff at all the site locations located throughout America, and found a completely different environment. Our staff at our locations in Knoxville, Houston, Atlanta, Richmond and Columbus were far more relaxed and the friendly.
Perhaps the people working at HQ were more abrupt, harsh, and hurried because it was the corporate headquarters, so I would expect people there to be more serious and intense. On the other hand, people would likely be somewhat more relaxed at branch offices.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:42 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,773 times
Yes. My company is headquartered back east and has offices scattered nationwide. I am in Phoenix. Whenever I go our big office back east, people are extremely formal in their dress and definitely a lot more abrupt and honest. My office is extremely casual and people are a lot less hurried, worried, and stressed.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:56 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Yes, I live in a small town in Tennessee and work for a large organization.

It's very culturally conservative. No jeans on Fridays, even if you're not in front of clients or end users. If there is a group dinner, people say grace.

I used to work in Indiana and Iowa. It was much more relaxed there.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I think you answered your own question.

I have a friend who does more traveling for business that I, and she always reports that whenever she goes out west, she's overdressed.
I know this is from 10 1/2 years ago, but it's been said that Denver and especially Boulder people dress like slobs.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:23 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
I work for a large fast paced developer in New York. We have offices in Chicago, Dallas, and a few other places around the country.

NYC office works the longest, has the least amount of fun, most uptight, etc. I think that is the New York environment/ mentality. I think the Northeast in general tends to lean more toward the rat race culture than anywhere else in the country.

Even Chicago was more relaxed, Dallas was a snooze fest. A nice change of pace.

The New York office tries to do social events after work (sometimes), but I am usually so tired and sick of everywhere, so I just want to go home, lol.

Maybe in Dallas where the environment is more relaxed and slightly shorter hours, I would be more inclined to stick around for a social event afterwards.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I work for a large fast paced developer in New York. We have offices in Chicago, Dallas, and a few other places around the country.

NYC office works the longest, has the least amount of fun, most uptight, etc. I think that is the New York environment/ mentality. I think the Northeast in general tends to lean more toward the rat race culture than anywhere else in the country.

Even Chicago was more relaxed, Dallas was a snooze fest. A nice change of pace.
Do you find the Chicago people pretty "dressy", that is they're fairly dressed up?

Old 07-17-2018, 07:27 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Do you find the Chicago people pretty "dressy", that is they're fairly dressed up?
I would say dress code Chicago is pretty similar to New York. NYC might be a little trendier, but working in corporate Chicago is very similar. The biggest difference I saw is that working late in Chicago was 7-8pm, in New York its 10pm.

I noticed a major difference in Dallas and we have another office in Denver too.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:22 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
I have two sisters that work in downtown Denver. On a visit they had dinner with me here in downtown Richmond and both commented that they only see men in suits back east (about 1/3 of the men in the restaurant were in suits). My third sister also lives here in Virginia (Williamsburg). She also lived in Denver for 15 years. On a recent visit there she told me “these are my people, plain, casual. In Virginia you always have to look put together”. She was referring to office workers.

Denver seems a bit underdressed in every social situation. I wouldn’t call them slobs but there isn’t much formality or refinement. My teenage Virginia nephew looks very different from my CO nephews. Even though he is from a more rural county (on the edge of Hampton Roads VA versus Denver) he looks more urban. Has a hair style and coordinated outfits (kinda skater look). He’s trying. The nephews in CO kinda clash, look dated (but socially and economically they are far above the VA nephew). I know it’s all antidotal but from what I’ve seen and heard, dressing down in the norm in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.