Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 05:32 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's a reality. Notice all of the Kennedy Fried chickens in black neighborhoods in NYC, Church's (a southern chain) in Phillychain), or NY Fried Chicken in Baltimore. These establishments are doing quite well in these black neighborhoods. Also, stereotypes have some truth to them, even the less than flattering stereotypes.
You're really not inspiring much confidence in Baltimore public schools right now.

Saying that fried chicken is "black" is about as ignorant as saying that "y'all" or cornbread or barbecue is "Black." Those things are southern and southern culture transcends ethnic lines. Anyone who has ever been to an S&S Cafeteria or a Picadilly's knows this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 05:36 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Default State public land ownership percentage by state - Northeast - Southeast compared

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But they haven't saved as much as Tennessee. What does that say about Tennessee's ideas on conservation and land use?
I don't know. I am not from Tennessee. But I noticed a trend by looking at the states. So you gave me the idea of listing all of the Northeast and Southeast states as regards to public land ownership by states.

www.nrcm.org/documents/publiclandownership.pdf

State public land ownership percentage by state - 21 Northeast & Southeast States compared
(Northeast state blue) (Southeast state red)

1. New York --- 36.71%
2. New Jersey - 15.58%
3. Florida ------ 13.71%
4. Pennsylvania 12.75%
5. Rhode Island 8.90%
6. Tennessee --- 6.53%
7. Connecticut -- 5.58%
8. Maryland ----- 5.51%
9. Delaware ----- 4.87%
10. Maine ------- 4.50%
11. Massachusetts 4.62%
12. West Virginia - 2.91%
13. New Hampshire 2.86%
14. Vermont ------- 1.61%
15. Virginia -------- 1.37%
16. Alabama ------- 1.22%
17. South Carolina - 1.07%
18. Georgia --------- .94%
19. North Carolina -- .44%
20. Kentucky -------- .43%
21. Mississippi ------ .36%

The numbers in most of the states are not hugely different but still there looks like some kind of noticeable difference between North and South. And note Virginia which is below every single Northeastern state, even rural Vermont.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I don't know. I am not from Tennessee. But I noticed a trend by looking at the states. So you gave me the idea of listing all of the Northeast and Southeast states as regards to public land ownership by states.

www.nrcm.org/documents/publiclandownership.pdf

State public land ownership percentage by state - 21 Northeast & Southeast States compared
(Northeast state blue) (Southeast state red)

1. New York --- 36.71%
2. New Jersey - 15.58%
3. Florida ------ 13.71%
4. Pennsylvania 12.75%
5. Rhode Island 8.90%
6. Tennessee --- 6.53%
7. Connecticut -- 5.58%
8. Maryland ----- 5.51%
9. Delaware ----- 4.87%
10. Maine ------- 4.50%
11. Massachusetts 4.62%
12. West Virginia - 2.91%
13. New Hampshire 2.86%
14. Vermont ------- 1.61%
15. Virginia -------- 1.37%
16. Alabama ------- 1.22%
17. South Carolina - 1.07%
18. Georgia --------- .94%
19. North Carolina -- .44%
20. Kentucky -------- .43%
21. Mississippi ------ .36%

The numbers in most of the states are not hugely different but still there looks like some kind of noticeable difference between North and South. And note Virginia which is below every single Northeastern state, even rural Vermont.
Shouldn't you put Maryland in the southern category since you preach complete fidelity to history?

Old 08-24-2014, 05:44 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
You're really not inspiring much confidence in Baltimore public schools right now.

Saying that fried chicken is "black" is about as ignorant as saying that "y'all" or cornbread or barbecue is "Black." Those things are southern and southern culture transcends ethnic lines. Anyone who has ever been to an S&S Cafeteria or a Picadilly's knows this.
I merely state facts. I didn't start the stereotype type, I also didn't give any opinions of the matter. I'm black, and I'm giving you facts that blacks have long been associated with fried chicken. I didn't say it was right or wrong, just that stereotypes factually have some truth to them. In regards to crime, well that's another topic for another day.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't you put Maryland in the southern category since you preach complete fidelity to history?
Don't switch subjects. Do you see the trend I am trying to point out or not?

Old 08-24-2014, 05:49 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Yeah, I'm wrong.

List of soul foods and dishes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Soul Food Recipes - Allrecipes.com

Soul Food Fried Chicken Recipes | Yummly

Flavors Soul Food - Bailey's Crossroads - Falls Church, VA | Yelp

Seriously BajanYankee, just take the "L" and move on. No use arguing about this subject anymore. I've proven my point multiple times already.
I've never heard of 60% of that stuff (on wiki) and some of the things I did like Sweet Potatoes, Ribs and Poultry hardly count.
All of that stuff is Southern no body up here even knows what grits or blackened peas or collard greens, black or white.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Don't switch subjects. Do you see the trend I am trying to point out or not?
Why can't you answer my question. You didn't even ask me a question in your prior post. LOL. If history is what really matters (demographics and everything else we've mentioned is all irrelevant), then isn't Maryland a southern state? It can't become northern through demographic changes because you've already said that's not possible.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Why can't you answer my question. You didn't even ask me a question in your prior post. LOL. If history is what really matters (demographics and everything else we've mentioned is all irrelevant), then isn't Maryland a southern state? It can't become northern through demographic changes because you've already said that's not possible.
I consider history and geography to be important but I never once said history was the only thing of importance. Nor did I ever say that "everything else mentioned" is not important. Please stop putting words in my mouth. I said demographics was being overrated and overplayed. It was getting nauseating, like people are members of tribal groups instead of individuals.

If we went by demographics then even the North would not be the North anymore because the population has changed greatly over the years.

One last shot. Are you going to be honest and at least admit that there is a difference between North and South in regards to public lands?

Old 08-24-2014, 06:21 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I've never heard of 60% of that stuff (on wiki) and some of the things I did like Sweet Potatoes, Ribs and Poultry hardly count.
All of that stuff is Southern no body up here even knows what grits or blackened peas or collard greens, black or white.
I'm sure the local black communities in your area are well aware of those kinds of foods.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:38 PM

867 posts, read 1,396,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I didn't know that there was a "Maryland fried chicken" and I'm from Maryland.
Oh yeah Maryland Fried Chicken Franchise, its very big in the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Maryland is the state for crab cakes. I don't even know what else would be considered a "staple" food of Maryland. Trout sandwiches maybe (in Baltimore)? Maryland = crab cakes.

Other than that, there are foods from the world over, especially in a place like Montgomery County.
Crab cakes are an excepted stereotype of Maryland. Most of the watermen and oystermen culture came from the shore though. Frank Purdue was king over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.