Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Are there any Italian neighborhoods in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania and Delaware? Any Italians living in those four states?
Yes, North End of Boston, Revere, South Philadelphia...

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-enclaves.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I believe that New Orleans actually had the largest Italian population in the US prior to 1890.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
New Orleans is more of an anomaly in the South and that includes its demographics. They even have the "Yat" accent. Where else in the South do you hear people talk like that! lol.
So if New Orleans is an "anomaly in the South" and has some "northeastern" characteristics, why must Baltimore be "northeastern"?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:31 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
So if New Orleans is an "anomaly in the South" and has some "northeastern" characteristics, why must Baltimore be "northeastern"?
New Orleans is located in the Deep South and is far from being in the influence of the Northeast.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:41 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
The "why is Maryland/Delaware/Baltimore northeastern" comparisons to places like New Orleans and Florida and North Carolina are really ridiculous. I lived 12 miles and am now from the Pennsylvania border and now live 45 miles from it and am relatively far from it as far as MD goes - hardly a stretch to see why this area can easily be considered the northeast (as it is by many people) and it shouldn't be difficult to see why your comparisons are ridiculous. I suspect you are being obtuse and unwilling to really look at the overall picture when you liken the argument to New Orleans.

I already posted a slew of statistics that clearly put MD and Baltimore in the northeast and the north/south dividing line around the Potomac river (in other words MD north, VA south). If you feel otherwise, feel free to counter them (which no one has done). Combine these points with the points BajanYankee has made about the black population and smaller immigrants populations (Italians, for example) and you have a state that is very northeastern in politics, economics, language, ancestry, and religion. There is a reason why most maps put MD/DE in the northeast. Have you actually lived/worked/gone to school in the region or are you just trying to form a picture based on what you see on the internet available in Canada?

Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM

Yes my partner is from Silver Spring, Maryland and I go there several times a year.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:55 PM

622 posts, read 948,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
The "why is Maryland/Delaware/Baltimore northeastern" comparisons to places like New Orleans and Florida and North Carolina are really ridiculous. I lived 12 miles and am now from the Pennsylvania border and now live 45 miles from it and am relatively far from it as far as MD goes - hardly a stretch to see why this area can easily be considered the northeast (as it is by many people) and it shouldn't be difficult to see why your comparisons are ridiculous. I suspect you are being obtuse and unwilling to really look at the overall picture when you liken the argument to New Orleans.

I already posted a slew of statistics that clearly put MD and Baltimore in the northeast and the north/south dividing line around the Potomac river (in other words MD north, VA south). If you feel otherwise, feel free to counter them (which no one has done). Combine these points with the points BajanYankee has made about the black population and smaller immigrants populations (Italians, for example) and you have a state that is very northeastern in politics, economics, language, ancestry, and religion. There is a reason why most maps put MD/DE in the northeast. Have you actually lived/worked/gone to school in the region or are you just trying to form a picture based on what you see on the internet available in Canada?
I live about 20-30 miles from New Jersey/Delaware border and like you, I think this is ridiculous how people are comparing Delaware and Maryland to Georgia and South Carolina instead of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. It's like calling Michigan a southern state.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
When people argue Baltimore "can't be Southern" because "it has [a few] Italians", then the New Orleans comparison is relevant. Baltimore was a large industrial city and a major port. Of course it attracted some immigrants.

Quote:
Besides voting patterns, demographically it doesn't resemble the Northeast all that much. Maryland resembles Virginia more than any other state.

It's interesting you mention the black population as evidence of Maryland being "northeastern"?What state above the Mason Dixon line has a Black population that exceeds 20%, a metro area where the Black population exceeds 25% or a county that is majority-Black?

How large is the Puerto Rican population in MD?

And as BajanYankee and others have pointed out, the "white ethnic" population of Baltimore doesn't come anywhere close to any major Northeastern city.

Why is there a Robert E. Lee Park in Baltimore if it's a "northeastern" city?

The South does not just mean Alabama, Arkansas, etc. It's a diverse region that includes Maryland, South Florida, New Orleans and Texas, all of which in their own way from the core Deep South or Appalachia.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:04 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,221 times
More Philly accents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1WJ...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lih...e_gdata_player

Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 PM

622 posts, read 948,403 times
Do they sound Mid-Atlantic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.