Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 04:32 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
It's a perfectly fine analogy. Borders don't move except by order. A states classification as belonging to any particular region also does not move except by order.
Well, we see that with gentrification. Clinton Hill was considered a part of Bedford-Stuyvesant until the 1990s. Once the demographics changed, it "seceded" from Bed-Stuy and became its own separate thing because newcomers didn't want to have that stigma attached to them.

Quote:
Biggie used to live at 226 St. James Place between Fulton St and Gates Ave, back when the neighborhood was still considered Bedford-Stuyvesant. Today the neighborhood is called Clinton Hill. And Biggie's old home is now immortalized as a hip-hop landmark.
Biggie's 'One-Room Shack' in Bed-Stuy Now up for Sale | Bed-Stuy, NY Patch

Drawing the Line between Clinton Hill & Bed Stuy | Brownstoner

Now you have a lot of new people in Brooklyn who say that Biggie was "perpetrating" when he was claiming Bed-Stuy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 06:04 PM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
It is not a Southern state in any, way, shape, or form by today's standards, so it makes no sense to say it's still a Southern state.
And this here is what draws me into these arguments. I don't claim MD is a southern state, but it's not southern in any way at all? That's completely ridiculous.

And I have to agree with others that you sound exactly like StLouisan, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:50 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This in a nutshell is my opinion. I don't know why some people have such a hard time grasping that opinion. I don't see it as definitively either.
Your points were easy to grasp. Like you, if I had to choose between just the Northeast and Southeast....I would put MD in the Southeast (I understood Bajanyankee's points and I feel that his points are very strong too). I'm comfortable with just labeling it the "enigmatic" Middle-Atlantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
And this here is what draws me into these arguments. I don't claim MD is a southern state, but it's not southern in any way at all? That's completely ridiculous.

And I have to agree with others that you sound exactly like StLouisan, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Yeah, I don't understand his point either. MD has elements of both that people can point out. When people start saying the "In no way, shape, or form" rants then I'm thinking that they just view the South negatively or they really don't have experience with parts of VA.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:55 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Your points were easy to grasp. Like you, if I had to choose between just the Northeast and Southeast....I would put MD in the Southeast (I understood Bajanyankee's points and I feel that his points are very strong too). I'm comfortable with just labeling it the "enigmatic" Middle-Atlantic.

Yeah, I don't understand his point either. MD has elements of both that people can point out. When people start saying the "In no way, shape, or form" rants then I'm thinking that they just view the South negatively or they really don't have experience with parts of VA.
+1

Quite honestly, what I bolded I find to be very true for some people. I think some people in MD don't want to be associated with the South and argue vehemently against the idea that it is Southern. The South quite obviously has some negative stereotypes and connotations, most undeserving, and I think people in MD, specifically the DC area, feel above that. I can't say I blame them - the stereotypes suck, but they're just that - stereotypes. To say MD has no Southern qualities whatsoever is a lie. Sorry.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 10-21-2014 at 08:16 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 08:52 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
+1

Quite honestly, what I bolded I find to be very true for some people. I think some people in MD don't want to be associated with the South and argue vehemently against the idea that it is Southern. The South quite obviously has some negative stereotypes and connotations, most undeserving, and I think people in MD, specifically the DC area, feel above that. I can't say I blame them - the stereotypes suck, but they're just that - stereotypes. To say MD has no Southern qualities whatsoever is a lie. Sorry.

I agree. It's funny because this is brought up on YouTube and other sites when it comes to parts of MD and the DC area. Well, it will always be a hot topic on here. From a Richmond or Hampton Roads perspective, it's very tough to view DC as something different....it feels familiar to me from a Black perspective.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:33 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Because the southern accent in any state doesn't define it as a southern state in the end as I've explained. The reason being is that if the southern accent were to travel north and be in a northern state, then that accent would have no bearing on whether or not said state is north or south.

That is why I say that it is ultimately irrelevant.

In the same way, Northern accents have moved their way south as has some of the culture and people. Those facts constitute changes in culture NOT regions.

If? We're talking about history here. You know that southern accents
aren't taking over anywhere other than where they are and that's
where they will stay. Come on, man. It's not like american tv is trying
to brainwash you into talking country. It's totally the opposite. They
speak standard English on tv and that is basically in all 4 corners of
the u.s. That's one main reason some southerners don't have a strong
accent or no accent at all, not because a ton of Yankees moved to
their town.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 AM

89 posts, read 128,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Mrfgsn/St. Louisan/nstl you know exactly who i'm talking to its ashame you have resorted to hiding behind fake accounts and changing names, stop messaging me saying that im your enemy and demanding me to take down my posts its very sloppy lol, by the way I never mentioned your new name until now guess the shoe fits haha
Quit following me around, and I have only one account on here. You're also now on my ignore list, so don't bother replying, I won't read it.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:37 AM

89 posts, read 128,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post

Then I guess you think Maryland fits in culturally, demographically, and linguistically and politically fits in better with the South, all of which is clearly WRONG.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
If? We're talking about history here. You know that southern accents
aren't taking over anywhere other than where they are and that's
where they will stay. Come on, man. It's not like american tv is trying
to brainwash you into talking country. It's totally the opposite. They
speak standard English on tv and that is basically in all 4 corners of
the u.s. That's one main reason some southerners don't have a strong
accent or no accent at all, not because a ton of Yankees moved to
their town.
Because language doesn't evolve over time or get influenced by other cultures moving on in. Yep, it was American TV.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:45 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, we see that with gentrification. Biggie's old home is now immortalized as a hip-hop landmark. Now you have a lot of new people in Brooklyn who say that Biggie was "perpetrating" when he was claiming Bed-Stuy.

I wonder how long will that last. How is biggie's house a
hip hop landmark now that rich white people are living in
it lol?

That stuff is funny yo and crazy. It doesn't even make
any sense whatsoever, even if it is in fact true.
See how times change? Biggie came up dirt poor on
the mean ghetto streets of the do or die. BK was no
joke back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.