Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:19 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I don't know about that. The string of islands south of Wallops Island and north of Fishermans Island on Virginia's Eastern Shore are collectively known as the Eastern Seaboard's longest wilderness. There are no regular ferries, no bridges, no permanent residents (other than horses) on any of those islands, and no visitors at all allowed on several of the islands. So for pristine and preserved, I have to say those Virginia islands probably take it.

It seems a lot forget that VA's eastern shore actually exists. As you stated there are many isolated barrier islands that are only accessable by boat, if allowed at all. Even Assateque, just south of Ocean City, MD is a good example as it has a state park and a national seashore. The north end is only accessible by boat. The mid section can get lots of tourists though and can be quite crowded in season but in the off season it shines. There is also 11 miles to the VA border which is only accessible by permitted 4X4's following a strict one off/one on policy with maximum of 145 vehicles but the rest of Assateque from the VA border down is off limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 11:57 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I don't know about that. The string of islands south of Wallops Island and north of Fishermans Island on Virginia's Eastern Shore are collectively known as the Eastern Seaboard's longest wilderness. There are no regular ferries, no bridges, no permanent residents (other than horses) on any of those islands, and no visitors at all allowed on several of the islands. So for pristine and preserved, I have to say those Virginia islands probably take it.

A few islands in NC are similar, Portsmouth Island comes to mind.

I'd think Sapelo Island would be a more pristine/preserved Georgia example than Cumberland.
Nope. Sapelo has a permanent settlement (Hog Hammock) and in the last few years has seen a marked increase in private development of vacation homes, etc., as the Gullah-Geechee people have either died off, been bought out or taxed off their long-time property.

There are several other Georgia barrier islands with NO permanent residents, or just one or two "caretakers," including Wassaw, Ossabaw, and Blackbeard.

I do believe the Georgia coast is the most restricted and pristine on the Eastern Seaboard. With 120 miles of coastline and 44 publicly identified beaches, only 4 (FOUR!) are accessible by automobile.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Nope. Sapelo has a permanent settlement (Hog Hammock) and in the last few years has seen a marked increase in private development of vacation homes, etc., as the Gullah-Geechee people have either died off, been bought out or taxed off their long-time property.

There are several other Georgia barrier islands with NO permanent residents, or just one or two "caretakers," including Wassaw, Ossabaw, and Blackbeard.

I do believe the Georgia coast is the most restricted and pristine on the Eastern Seaboard. With 120 miles of coastline and 44 publicly identified beaches, only 4 (FOUR!) are accessible by automobile.
Really there only three that are easily accessible by car. Sea Island is gated and requires a pass to get on. Furthermore, you will need YET ANOTHER pass to enter the Beach Club to access the beach.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:07 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Most Well Preserved and Pristine could go to Island Beach State Park in NJ. It's an untouched all natural barrier island beach and bay front with only one home, and it's the governor's bay front summer home. The island has natural dunes, dune grass, and wildlife including foxes. The beach is extremely clean, with nearly white sand and clear water. It is popular for fishing, with some beaches dedicated to fishing only. Not all beaches are legally swimmable/protected by lifeguards, so there is really a natural feel.
Cape Lookout National Seashore in NC is 56 miles of contiguous wilderness, and it contains a cape. There are islands all along the east coast that are unpopulated. Pretty much every state has at least one.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

That's disappointing to hear about Sapelo. Years ago, and this is the reason I mentioned it in the earlier post, you could not visit Sapelo unless you were a guest of a resident.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Cape Lookout National Seashore in NC is 56 miles of contiguous wilderness, and it contains a cape. There are islands all along the east coast that are unpopulated. Pretty much every state has at least one.
Exactly, that's why there probably is no clear "winner" here. I was just mentioning IBSP as another, because people tend to think of the Jersey Shore as the MTV show, rowdy crowded and built up - isn't it wonderful to have a show that is "supposed to" represent your state and its people but in reality is a huge misleading insult to us - and I wanted to point out it is not all like that by any means and is actually quite diverse, from rowdier boardwalk towns to family friendly ones, to towns that are mostly residential and quiet with almost no attractions, even restaurants, to protected state and national parks. There is nothing better than miles and miles of uninterrupted beach with no residents or anything but nature. It is so beautiul, and Island Beach is truly one of NJ's best beaches (well, there are numerous beaches on Island Beach, I should say it is one of the best stretches of beach).

Old 07-22-2014, 10:42 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Island Beach State Park is really nice. I work for an engineering company and we have access to aerial photos used for beach monitoring.

Island Beach SP:

Last edited by tom77falcons; 07-22-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Back in 1992 I took a ferry over to Cumberland Island, GA. It was July and it was scorching hot. I walked to the beach then up the beach. It is a very beautiful island and very large as well. I hope it is never developed. I was not a fan of the beach and water due to the nature of the ocean there with all the swamp water discoloring the ocean. But none the less the island is amazing.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Island Beach State Park is really nice. I work for an engineering company and we have access to aerial photos used for beach monitoring.

Island Beach SP:
Stunning shot!! I love barrier islands.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
St. Simon's Island, GA.

In fact, the whole area around Brunswick is nice.

(Runner-up: Tybee Island, GA.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.