Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 06:52 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Boston isn't really a white city. The black population is over 25%.
Definitely, it was once white many decades ago, but it is filled with all nationalities and races now. Mattapan, much of Dorchester and Roxbury being predominately african americans. Where I live now Portland, Oregon has to be way up on the list of predominately white cities. It however does have a large immigrant population in the city and the few suburbs that make this region.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 PM

100 posts, read 307,707 times
[quote=coronadeluxe;3057237]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
And your average black American has some kind of authentic connection to Mother Africa? LOL.
that's why i don't say african american, just black. imagine someone trying to tell you detroit is diverse because it has a good mix of somalis and ethiopians.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
OK, when I first saw this thread I thought it was posted by a troll. But after I started reading it, my curiosity was piqued. So many different perspectives, so many seemingly contradictory guesses and numbers. So I did a little research to see what the real numbers are.

The Brookings Institution' Living Census Series ranks all US Metropolitan areas' (over 500k population) (NOT cities) estimated 2004 populations, and groups them by region (standard census regions, not cultural or subregion or any of the goofy regions people like to think up on this forum )). I just looked at white populations and black populations (I'll do the other groups some other time, unless someone else wants to do them )

In looking at these numbers, some of my hunches were confirmed, but I was also in for some surprises. Here's what I found:

In the Northeast Region, the 5 WHITEST MSAs are:
1. Scranton/Wiles-Barre (95% white)
2. Pittsburgh (89%)
3. (tie) Albany/Schenectady and Syracuse (87%)
4. (tie) Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton and Worcester (85%)
5. (tie) Providence/New Bedford/Fall River and Harrisburg/Carlisle (84%)

(The LEAST WHITE Northeastern MSAs are: New York, Philadelphia, Bridgeport, New Haven and Poughkeepsie.)

In the Northeast Region, the BLACKEST MSAs are:
1. Philadelphia/Camden/Wilmington (20%)
2. New York/Northern NJ/Long Island (17%)
3. Buffalo/Niagara Falls (12%)
4. (tie) Rochester and New Haven/Milford (11%)
5. Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk (10%)

The LEAST BLACK Northeastern MSAs are: Scranton, Allentown, Worcester, Providence, Boston, Springfield, Albany and Syracuse

In the Midwest, the WHITEST MSAs are:
1. Madison (87%)
2. Youngstown/Warren/Boardman (86%)
3. Akron (85%)
4. Cincinnati/Middletown (84%)
5. Minneapolis/St. Paul/Bloomington (83%)

The LEAST WHITE Midwestern MSAs are: Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland and St. Louis

In the Midwest, the BLACKEST MSAs are:
1. Detroit/Warren/Livonia (23%)
2. Cleveland/Elyria/Mentor (19%)
3. (tie) St. Louis and Chicago/Naperville/Joliet (18%)
4. Milwaukee/Waukesha/West Allis (16%)
5. (tie) Columbus and Indianapolis (14%)

The LEAST BLACK Midwestern MSAs are: Madison, Minneapolis, Grand Rapids, Wichita, Omaha and Youngstown)

In the South, the WHITEST MSAs are:
1. Knoxville (89%)
2. Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice (84%)
3. Louisville (82%)
4. Nashville/Murphreesboro (77%)
5. Greenville (SC) (76%)

The LEAST WHITE Southern MSAs are: McAllen, El Paso, San Antonio, Miami and Houston.

In the South, the BLACKEST MSAs are:
1. New Orleans/Metarie/Kenner (38%)
2. Baton Rouge (35%)
3. Columbia (33%)
4. Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Newport news (31%)
5. (tie) Atlanta/Sandy Springs/Marietta and Charleston/N. Charleston (30%)

The LEAST BLACK Southern MSAs are: McAllen, El Paso, San Antonio, Little Rock, Austin and Tulsa.

In the West, the WHITEST MSAs are:
1. Portland/Vancouver/Beaverton (80%)
2. Salt lake City (79%)
3. Colorado Springs (76%)
4. Seattle/Tacoma/Bellview (74%)
5. Denver/Aurora (68%)

The LEAST WHITE Western MSAs are: Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Jose, Stockton and Riverside.

In the West, the BLACKEST MSAs are:
1. (tie) San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont and Las Vegas/Paradise (9%)
2. (tie) Sacramento/Arden/Arcade/Roseville and Los Angeles/Long Beach/Santa Ana (7%)
3. (tie) Bakersfield and Colorado Springs (6%)
4. (tie) Seattle/Tacoma/Bellview and San Diego/Carlsbad/San Marcos and Denver/Aurora and Fresno (5%)
5. (tie) Phoenix/Mesa/Scottsdale (4%)

The LEAST BLACK Western MSAs are: Salt Lake City, Oxnard, Albuquerque, Tucson, Phoenix, Seattle, Denver, San Diego, Fresno.

No, that's not a mistake that Seattle falls into 3 of the 4 categories. The variance of diversity among Western MSAs is very low.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
The variance of diversity among Western MSAs is very low.
Quote:
The Hispanic population is Metro Denver’s largest minority group comprising 21.9 percent of the population in 2006.
While we don't have a lot of blacks, we have some diversity. The Hispanic culture is much different from white or black. BTW, how can Denver be among the blackest and the least black at the same time?

Thanks for posting those stats. They are very interesting.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-06-2008 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 PM

18 posts, read 77,689 times
Alot of the discussion has been about that ultimate PC word "Diversity". Why does having "Diversity" mean that a place is better than one that doesn't. The places that have the most are usually hell-holes of the worst sort, full of crime, drugs and conflict (constantly arguing how to make diversity "work"). I live in Las Vegas. It is VERY diverse and HORRIBLE. If you want low crime-rates, good schools, graffiti-free streets with nice parks and people who smile and wave when you pass by... then go diversity-free. Think Portland Maine, Portland Oregon, Missoula Montana, Springfield Missouri, ect.

Nobody wants to admit it but everybody knows what I'm saying is true!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:04 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Beorn View Post
Alot of the discussion has been about that ultimate PC word "Diversity". Why does having "Diversity" mean that a place is better than one that doesn't. The places that have the most are usually hell-holes of the worst sort, full of crime, drugs and conflict (constantly arguing how to make diversity "work"). I live in Las Vegas. It is VERY diverse and HORRIBLE. If you want low crime-rates, good schools, graffiti-free streets with nice parks and people who smile and wave when you pass by... then go diversity-free. Think Portland Maine, Portland Oregon, Missoula Montana, Springfield Missouri, ect.

Nobody wants to admit it but everybody knows what I'm saying is true!!!

I hate to admit it, but your right. That's society.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:08 PM

52 posts, read 209,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Denver
Not in the least bit

Quote:
Seattle
What year are you living in, 1977?

Quote:
Colorado Springs
Hell no!

Quote:
San Francisco
A city that's 15 percent hispanic, 30 percent asian, and 10 percent black, nu-uh

Old 03-07-2008, 12:10 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
I would guess some towns in central Pennsylvania are nearly 100% white with few other races. Start with Boalsburg, Pleasant Gap, and go from there AWAY from State College.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:29 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanintokyo View Post

Seattle
What year are you living in, 1977?

Seattle is still very White.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:58 PM

208 posts, read 412,203 times
Default Go "Diversity Free"!

This topic interests me too.

I have always lived in a diverse areas. And I don't like it anymore. It's a reject idea from the 60's radicals and unnatural.

I want to protect my children so I'm interested in what places would be best to raise a healthy family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.