Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2008, 09:37 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Perhaps you can find something more up-to-date and accurate to post, then. I've spent time in Minneapolis. It's pretty white, especially in the suburbs.
I meant no disrespect to you. You were simply posting the "latest" information available. Much has happened in the last eight or so years! The problem is, the accurate information won't be available until another census is taken. I live in Minneapolis proper. There are a lot of whites that live in suburbs, this is true, but there are plenty of blacks, hispanics, asians, indians, etc., that do as well. Not every suburb is balanced, naturally, but, on the whole, there's quite a mix of people here.

I'd love for another census to be taken. I like trivia information like this and would be very interested in seeing the newest results.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:40 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I don't ask you to agree with me. To each his own, I don't know why anyone would have a problem with a black person wanting to live in a black neighborhood or a white person wanting to live in a white neighborhood.
Very well put AaronK. I've lived in all white communities most all my life and like it that way. I am more comfortable living with my own kind. It is my personal preference not to live in a diverse neighborhood. If lack of diversity is boring, that's OK with me.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:45 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I don't ask you to agree with me. To each his own, I don't know why anyone would have a problem with a black person wanting to live in a black neighborhood or a white person wanting to live in a white neighborhood.
That's not the part I took issue with. You said that a racially mixed bag creates a lot of discontent. Well, I personally would love to see us try to move past that rather than exacerbate it with de facto segregation. Like you say, to each his own, but I grew up in a racially mixed area and I'm really glad I was. It taught me a lot.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:48 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,459,731 times
Same here. I live in Chicago suburbs, and this place is way too diverse for me. Just not a fan of Mexican culture, I grew up around it in Corpus Christi Texas, and we got away from it in Kentucky but it seems like we emersed ourselves back into it again when moving to Illinois. I have nothing against other groups of people, but culturally they are far different from me, and I can't imagine living here for much longer. I prefer quieter, more laid back small suburban communities, like Mokena in Illinois, or the outskirts of Cincinnati Ohio (northern Kentucky). Friendlier people, less crime, etc (because they are smaller, not neccesarily because of race, although that may play a part).

Old 05-03-2008, 09:50 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,459,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
That's not the part I took issue with. You said that a racially mixed bag creates a lot of discontent. Well, I personally would love to see us try to move past that rather than exacerbate it with de facto segregation. Like you say, to each his own, but I grew up in a racially mixed area and I'm really glad I was. It taught me a lot.
So did I, and I also learned a lot. Check out Corpus Christi, Texas on City-Data to see where I grew up if you'd like.

It's more that I prefer small suburban communities, and most of the time they happen to be more white to be honest. Smaller pace of living with the same amneties of big suburban cities or cities themselves. Less overall crime. More relaxed communities. And hey, they are usually white where I am from, that is just the way it is. I prefer living in these areas.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:38 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
Washington DC, not counting the metro.

That or detroit..

haha

Old 05-03-2008, 10:42 PM

6 posts, read 30,198 times
Dear, sweet people. While living in the here and now can be wonderful in a great many situations, looking into the future can be a wonderful thing to. The U.S. started out as a melting pot and will now continue to do so. 100, 150, 200 maybe 250 yrs. it's going to happen. The MAJORITY will All look the same, and these types of discussions will be history. In the mean time, please...enjoy.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:50 PM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times
Detroit!!! well... i mean... the metro. no seriously... alot of the suburbs have such a higher percentage of white people compared to the rest of the mid-west... ya

Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
there wouldn't be suburbs if a large percentage of white people felt comfortable living around black people. there wouldn't be as big of a renewed interest in the city if some whites were fine with the trend of suburbanization of city blacks.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:47 PM

7 posts, read 28,276 times
Anyone that turned this thread into a argument or replied about this topic as a defense is a idiot and needs a life. Is it really that hard to just answer a question. Your too sensitive

I was disgusted and stopped reading this thread because if your desperate plead for attention and desperate attempt trying to special about yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.