Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:35 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
If you 2 are trying to use poverty as the main excuse as to why crime is so high in the Black community than explain why Prince George's County, Maryland which is considered the wealthiest majority Black county in the nation yet it still has the highest crime rate in the Washington D.C metropolitan area.
Prince George's County, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So why is that county plagued with so much crime ? When most Black people there are not living in poverty.
Do you consider other factors such as "where are these people from"? I know there are many situations where the criminal knows someone in another area, or that area might be next to another area that is horrible, orthe crime is highly concentrated in a few areas. There are many factors to consider.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:46 PM
2dc

87 posts, read 419,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExiles View Post
My sentiments exactly.
Don't feed Jeff he's a troll from hickville. There are plenty of safe predomintely black areas. Prince Georges County outside of the beltway. Numerous places in Metro Atlanta. Baldwin Hills, CA, Ladera Heights, CA, Willingboro, NJ, Cheltenham, PA, Jamacia Queens Ny, Crime is not about color but mostly economic. Ignorant folk would believe blacks are genetically criminal. That would mean Whites are genetically racist. We all know that's not true

Old 11-28-2008, 04:00 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,600,462 times
If one wants to be "popular", then the best thing to do is keep the heck away from offering supporting opinions on threads so volitile as when the OP says something so obvious as the simple truth. Sometime though, ones' "contrary" nature gets the best of them.

Seriously though, what in the world has Jeff Jarret said that is not true? I don't like the facts anymore than anybody else does...but there is no way to deny them.

Even the most articulate of the counter-points to what he (Jeff J) says are, in all due respect to the same, just deflecting. They don't hit head-on the basic points at all. Instead, they ask what he "has against black people" or blend it into economic considerations which still don't negate at all that the single most telling indicator of how dangerous an area is to live in (stranger on stranger assault and violence) is such being a majority black area.

Doesn't it suggest/say something that it is black people who are the ones who recognize this in a way that white liberals just fool and hysterically sweat over and pretend they don't? That is, the latter publicly say one thing, but live their real lives the opposite? (else they wouldn't send their own kids to private schools while advocating forced busing for everybody else and etc, etc) .

For instance? There are many black folks who recognize the simple truth that the reason many pizza places will not deliver into majority black neighborhoods is NOT out of racism. But because the said areas are so obviously dangerouis that the most vehement of all against delivering are blacks who know this first hand! They aren't inhibited by the denial of reality that many whites are... Instead, they know that it is not a civil rights issue, but a matter of that one shouldn't be forced to do something that might get them robbed or killed.

Anyway, some blacks have taken to creating their own pizza delivery service. Knowing that certain neighborhoods are off limits? They have created a sort of "middle-man" business whereby they do just that.

Hey? Why not? I find it admirable. It recognized reality, creates a service...and serves all concerned...

Bottom line though is that Jeff J. has guts. I don't like (from an idealistic point of view) some of what he says. But he states them like a man and makes his case like a man. And again, no one has proven him wrong...

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-28-2008 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-28-2008, 04:53 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
I don't deny that many predominantly black areas have crime issues. I do doubt that ALL areas that are predominantly black have high crime rates. I often notice from my own experience that the high crime areas that have high black populations are either A)Poor and run down and/or B)close to a dangerous city. I won't take away from Jeff Jarrett that PG county has a high crime rate. After looking at the map, however, I notice where most of these crimes are occuring. Most occur near the border with Washington D.C. It is the areas of highly concentrated crime that make an area look bad.

I do see the statistics, but what gets me is why no one is asking why this is happening.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:08 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
If you 2 are trying to use poverty as the main excuse as to why crime is so high in the Black community than explain why Prince George's County, Maryland which is considered the wealthiest majority Black county in the nation yet it still has the highest crime rate in the Washington D.C metropolitan area.
Prince George's County, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So why is that county plagued with so much crime ? When most Black people there are not living in poverty.
Since i live just across the bridge let me explain it to you. PG County is halved by the Capital beltway. On the left half, PG is very poor, lots of Section 8 and low income housing (Capitol Heights, Suitland, Forrestville). Also the left half borders the highest crime areas of Washington DC. On the right half, PG is VERY affulent. Home to some of the nicest neighborhoods in the DC area (Bowie, Mitchellville, Accokeek, Fort Washington.) BTW they are mostly black. The right half basically pulls up the pants for the whole county.

As for crime, 70-85% of the murders in PG occur in the left half. PG is not the safest place in the world but an AA family can be happy there.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:09 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,267 times
Quote:
Doesn't it suggest/say something that it is black people who are the ones who recognize this in a way that white liberals just fool and hysterically sweat over and pretend they don't? That is, the latter publicly say one thing, but live their real lives the opposite? (else they wouldn't send their own kids to private schools while advocating forced busing for everybody else and etc, etc) .
True, the overwhelming majority of White liberals would never in a million years send their kids to a predominantly Black public school. They aren't known for practicing what they preach.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:27 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,716,119 times

Old 11-28-2008, 05:43 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Seriously though, what in the world has Jeff Jarret said that is not true? I don't like the facts anymore than anybody else does...but there is no way to deny them.
Mosts of the "facts" that he states are opinions or congectures that are not from any reputable source. Take this thread, he compares inner-city ghettos to wealthy, mostly white suburbs and uses that as "proof" that blacks are inherently criminal! He's also stated on numerous occasions the three "races" of mankind: negroid, caucasoid, and mongoloid. The problem with this "fact" is that it was disproven years ago by science, and it is now known that there is no genetic basis for race, and that skin color is basically a continuum. The majority of his posts on this forum are race related. These are only two of the examples. Most of what he states is racially-charged, thinly veiled bashing of black Americans.

His point about PG county has already been disproven, and there are many other areas that disprove his statements. I know of several towns here in Michigan (including where I live, Three Rivers) that have large black populations and very little crime. There are also predominantly white neighborhoods in Kalamazoo and Allegan, MI that are very high in crime and drug activity. I'll admit that there is a correlation between black neighborhoods and crime, but that does not mean that blacks are inherently criminal! Correclation does not mean causation.

I'll ask this question again (to J.J., if you don't mind answering): What do you have against black people?

Old 11-28-2008, 06:08 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,267 times
Quote:
Mosts of the "facts" that he states are opinions or congectures that are not from any reputable source
I posted reputable sources proving what I said. Did you not read the link that I posted which showed that all of the 25 murder capitals of America have very large Black populations, while the 25 safest cities in America do not have very large Black populations.

Quote:
His point about PG county has already been disproven
No it hasn't. PG County does have a very high crime rate I posted sources.

Quote:
I know of several towns here in Michigan (including where I live, Three Rivers) that have large black populations and very little crime. There are also predominantly white neighborhoods in Kalamazoo and Allegan, MI that are very high in crime and drug activity
Than why are Whites underrepresented among the prison population in Michigan while Blacks are overrepresented ? Also I doubt very much that these supposedly "high crime" White neighborhoods in Kalamazoo and Allegan that you speak of could compete with Detroit and Flint when it comes to the crime/murder rate.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:20 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Quote:
I posted reputable sources proving what I said. Did you not read the link that I posted which showed that all of the 25 murder capitals of America have very large Black populations, while the 25 safest cities in America do not have very large Black populations.
Yes, I read the link. Not all of those cities have "very large" black populations. Some of them had less than 30% blacks, which I dought anyone would call "very large." Also, the 25 safest are indeed predominantly (but not entirely) white, mostly wealthy suburbs. I would say the affluence plays more of a factor than race in the "safeness."

Quote:
No it hasn't. PG County does have a very high crime rate I posted sources.
Not all of PG county is affluent, and the poorer areas near D.C. have the vast majority of the crime in the county. The richer areas, further away from the city, have less crime.

Quote:
Than why are Whites underrepresented among the prison population in Michigan while Blacks are overrepresented ?
I'm not denying that there is a high incidence of crime in the black community. It's something that I know exists and something that disgusts me. However, most of the prisoners are probably from low-income backgrounds. Probably not too many blacks from Grosse Pointe (yes, they do exist!) are locked up.

Quote:
Also I doubt very much that these supposedly "high crime" White neighborhoods in Kalamazoo and Allegan that you speak of could compete with Detroit and Flint when it comes to the crime/murder rate.
Are you from Michigan? You seem familiar with the state. No, these areas aren't as bad as Detroit or Flint, but then neither are MOST other places. I believe Detroit and Flint have the highest crime rates in the country. However, these neighborhoods ARE high in crime, AND majority white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.