Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 09:26 AM

265 posts, read 402,355 times

Advertisements

Apparently, so far, the only "problem" I'm finding with Portland is that most of the rentals I'm finding don't allow pets, so maybe people there are less cat-friendly than I'm used to, but it's far from a deal breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 10:04 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post
Apparently, so far, the only "problem" I'm finding with Portland is that most of the rentals I'm finding don't allow pets, so maybe people there are less cat-friendly than I'm used to, but it's far from a deal breaker.
It's because there's a very tight rental market here and landlords can afford to be very picky. If you go to the Portland forum, you'll see several discussions about people having a hard time finding pet friendly (especially dogs) rentals.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I would like to know, what does the rest of the United States think of Portland Oregon? What are your thoughts on the city and what was your time there like?
Liked the nature/environment...the peeps...meh.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:54 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I'd always envisioned Portland as being clean, transit-friendly, liberal, environmentally conscious, and non-diverse. And when I finally got a chance to visit and see it for myself (a few years ago), these impressions were reinforced by what I saw.

However, I was struck by two things that I wasn't expecting. One, it seemed like a lot of people were just hanging out, doing nothing. I was in downtown during a weekday, not at lunch time, and there were all these people just sitting around. Didn't they have jobs to go to? The other thing that impressed me (and not in a good way), was how slovenly everyone dressed. I've never seen any major U.S. city where so many people (and I'm not talking about the homeless) looked like they had picked out their daily wardrobe by closing their eyes and grabbing random stuff from the dirty-clothes bin.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:33 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'd always envisioned Portland as being clean, transit-friendly, liberal, environmentally conscious, and non-diverse. And when I finally got a chance to visit and see it for myself (a few years ago), these impressions were reinforced by what I saw.

However, I was struck by two things that I wasn't expecting. One, it seemed like a lot of people were just hanging out, doing nothing. I was in downtown during a weekday, not at lunch time, and there were all these people just sitting around. Didn't they have jobs to go to? The other thing that impressed me (and not in a good way), was how slovenly everyone dressed. I've never seen any major U.S. city where so many people (and I'm not talking about the homeless) looked like they had picked out their daily wardrobe by closing their eyes and grabbing random stuff from the dirty-clothes bin.
The Pacific Northwest, including both the Portland and Seattle metro areas, are well-known for having terrible fashion sense given the sizable hillbilly population. People from other states don't seem to realize that despite having urban downtowns, the outskirts of Seattle/Portland are very rural and boondock-y. It's not a sophisticated region of the US yet.

I mean, how many elite universities are located in the Pacific Northwest? None, unless you consider University of Washington, which is a reputable and well-respected public university. Compare having 1 solid public university to the East Coast's Ivy League or California's dozens of top tier universities, and you realize that PNW is still a very undeveloped place.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:28 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hush.bereel View Post

Don't come to Pittsburgh with a pet. The no pet practice by landlords is becoming common throughout the US.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:35 PM

265 posts, read 402,355 times
Who wants to live in a world where no one has pets, yet feral cats and dogs roam the streets and parks? I just don't understand how sometimes people don't see the larger implications of the little decisions they make. But that's just me, whatever. I am keeping hope alive!!

Old 07-29-2014, 12:41 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Just like the show Portlandia. I lived in Portland 3 years and it's a pretty cool place even if you're a conservative libertarian. I call Porlandians true believers as they usually live their beliefs pretty much. Seattle people have their ideals but will toss them for a bigger paycheck.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Don't come to Pittsburgh with a pet. The no pet practice by landlords is becoming common throughout the US.
Uh....

Rentals in Pittsburgh that allow pets

Old 07-29-2014, 01:19 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Did you look at the price of the rents? You realize the ones under $1000 are in the crappy parts of town, right? $1200+ for a one bedroom in Pittsburgh, yeah, I can see them allowing a cat. That is insane. Ok, I was wrong. The hipster yuppies with animals can easily find a place to rent in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.