Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times

Advertisements

If you travel west from the west coast you will eventually hit the east coast. I actually refer to the west coast as the east coast and refer to the east coast as the west coast. But I am one of those wacky Mideast residents, so what do I know?

Old 08-04-2014, 12:24 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Very true. I used to enjoy great sunsets on the Great Lakes growing up.
I often look back and enjoy how unique my situation was growing up on Wisconsin's thumb (Door County). Sunrises on the endless horizon (Lake Michigan/east side) and sunsets 5 minutes away on another endless horizon (Green Bay/west side). It was fairly common to see both in a single day.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:19 AM

854 posts, read 1,482,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
True, but I was just stating that it's not true that all of the west is dry/arid as some are trying to say- that there is a considerable area in the west that is in fact lush/green/forested. In fact Washington has the only temperate rain forests in the lower 48 states.
Not true, Tennessee and North Carolina also have rain forests. But yeah some parts of the West are green, but only relatively small areas. Parts of Iran are green as well yet nobody would seriously argue Iran is just as green as Ireland.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Forest is not forest is not forest.

I like some forest types but not others (as much). For example I like beech forest mixed with oak and maple. I also like pine forest, but not so much fir and spruce.

That's the beauty of the U.S. we have so much variety, there is something for everyone.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:04 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Not true, Tennessee and North Carolina also have rain forests. But yeah some parts of the West are green, but only relatively small areas. Parts of Iran are green as well yet nobody would seriously argue Iran is just as green as Ireland.
Exactly what I was thinking.

They extend slightly into Georgia as well. In fact, it is a debatable subject whether or not portions of the Green and White mountains in the northeast count as temperate rain forests... a lot of people consider the high precipitation areas below tree line up there to be rain forests.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
The US as a whole has an incredible diversity of climates and topography/geography. Few countries can claim so many diverse climate zones and areas. Instead of arguing about a subjective matter like beauty, we should appreciate how lucky we are to live somewhere so beautiful and incredible as a whole. Many Americans go their whole lives without seeing even half of what this country has to offer.

I watched a movie last night set in Nebraska and the flat land was actually stunning, IMO. I think I would feel a little claustrophobic, being able to see nothing but flatness for miles knowing you're in the middle of the country, because I like having the ocean nearby, but it was undeniably beautiful - the colors of the farmland, the patterns you see on overhead shots from the air, and colorful sunsets against the green and yellow ground. Even the dark storm clouds were a pretty and dramatic backdrop. A place doesn't have to have the highest mountains or most dramatic scenery to be most beautiful.

And someone from Nebraska may prefer that, find it comforting and simply "home" rather than find mountains more beautiful because they're tall and imposing. Someone from a mountainous area probably prefers mountains, etc.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:25 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Not many people travel east of the Mississippi for magnificent natural beauty. I'm not saying that the east coast has no beautiful areas. But the reality is that the Western States have jaw dropping beauty that people generally admire more from around the world.

Just saying.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Not many people travel east of the Mississippi for magnificent natural beauty. I'm not saying that the east coast has no beautiful areas. But the reality is that the Western States have jaw dropping beauty that people generally admire more from around the world.

Just saying.
Nice answer to "does anyone find the east more beautiful than the west?".....

Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene85 View Post
I do.

I think this looks better than this. I can't stand arid places.
How about this?

Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,835 times
Trees hide the landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.