Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Greenery is overrated to me. Green means water which means humidity. Just the thought of that East Coast humidity makes my stomach churn.
Trust me I know this, my western friends can spend months in 95+ weather but get them off a plane in Louisville where it's 85 and humid and you'd think they'd be campaigning for best actor.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:42 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
I can see the beauty in any place but generally speaking I think the West is probably more beautiful than the East, at least at the surface (first impressions).

Old 07-24-2014, 07:44 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I've only been to NC a few times but having the ocean could give it the nod over PA. I hear Maine is nice although I've never been there.

The California coast is amazing. I see it every day.

Greenery is overrated to me. Green means water which means humidity. Just the thought of that East Coast humidity makes my stomach churn.
But it's SOOOOO good for your skin, especially if you have sensitive and dry skin like I do!

Old 07-24-2014, 07:47 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Trust me I know this, my western friends can spend months in 95+ weather but get them off a plane in Louisville where it's 85 and humid and you'd think they'd be campaigning for best actor.
Haha. True.

I'm originally from Ohio so know the heat vs humidity debate. I'm so anti-humidity.

Give me 85 degrees with a dew point of 50 over 70 degrees with a dew point of 67 any day of the week.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
But it's SOOOOO good for your skin, especially if you have sensitive and dry skin like I do!
Buy lotion!

While I love the low humidity/cooler summer temps I'm actually very fond of snow (which worked out well in northeast Ohio).

The climates of Flagstaff, Arizona or South Lake Tahoe, CA would be fine by me. Low humidity, all sun, when precip does fall it's snow! Plus the physical beauty of these places. Been to both - love them.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Rural parts of back east can be more uniformly pretty with the greenery, hills, and it's peppered with pretty bucolic villages and towns. It's nicer than many of the empty and featureless parts of the west in between all the natural superlatives. One thing I like the most out west though is the sky. The deep blue cobalt skies and incredible sunsets and open spaces are inspiring and can't be matched. The tree canopy back east can make me feel hemmed in, you just don't see the sky as much back there. The West's natural superlatives give me an awe-struck feeling that no where back east can really get close to, but back east has a lot of tranquil beauty. I like the pastoral landscapes where it opens up a little in parts of Vermont and Pennsylvania. The constant tree canopy driving through other states back east can get a bit dull as there isn't really anything to look at.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:13 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
I must say the drive between Vegas and Reno on US-95 is some of the ugliest country I've ever driven. Featureless and barren.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I must say the drive between Vegas and Reno on US-95 is some of the ugliest country I've ever driven. Featureless and barren.
That stretch of Nevada is rough...good point.

Try a drive from Malibu to Monterey. Heaven on earth.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
The west has the more impressive scenery overall. However, it would be even better if it was greener and more lush over more extensive patches. Check out the mountainous areas in Europe, for example.

If you like more green, then you could very well prefer the east.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:00 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
I prefer the scenery out West overall because you get a very diverse amount of climates and scenery not found out East. Some places out West are desert, others are temperate rainforest, others are near-polar, snowy mountainous areas, some are Mediterranean...out East, is is pretty much all 4-seasons climate (I'm not talking about the Southeast, only Midwest and Northeast) with the same weather, granted it may be a tad milder closer to the ocean.

But there are certain things I like more out East than out West. For example, I have never experienced a more beautiful spring than the Washington DC Area, because you get the tulips, daffodils, dogwoods, plum blossoms, cherry blossoms, magnolias, roses, azaleas...and then also leafy trees start to have the different color buds, small leaves start to pop out...just amazing. Out West, the scenery (while varying by state) tends to look the same year-round, more or less. Out East, while the scenery state-by-state is more or less the same, it changes with the seasons. But for me, I think the West is more beautiful because it is more rugged and less developed. The cities put West are San Diego, LA, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle, with some smaller cities....but they are all far less built-up than the cities out East like Chicago, St. Louis, Columbus, Cleveland, Washington DC, Charlotte, Raleigh, Philadelphia, Boston or NYC.

People tend to vacation out West more for scenery and outdoors activities, while people tend to vacation out East more for sightseeing in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.