Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 12:10 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I definitely like living in Monterey County and have the convenience of being reasonably close to family and many friends here, but when I retire in 7-10 years I may move 3-4 hours south to the more affordable cities of Santa Maria or Lompoc. Don't ever want to be too far from the Pacific Coast if I can help it and admit to being spoiled by the weather here!
Even closer to Monterey County, I've seen ads along 101 as recently as last year for new homes and condos priced $200k+, in San Luis Obispo County towns like Arroyo Grande and Atascadero. Maybe they've changed, though, as California housing values are like a never ending roller coaster.

Sure, those cities are a little more inland and not as moderated climatically by the coast, but then again the same can be said for Santa Maria and Lompoc. The SLO County towns also have lower crime rates than SM and Lompoc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 03:02 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Even closer to Monterey County, I've seen ads along 101 as recently as last year for new homes and condos priced $200k+, in San Luis Obispo County towns like Arroyo Grande and Atascadero. Maybe they've changed, though, as California housing values are like a never ending roller coaster.

Sure, those cities are a little more inland and not as moderated climatically by the coast, but then again the same can be said for Santa Maria and Lompoc. The SLO County towns also have lower crime rates than SM and Lompoc.
I am not surprised at that price for Arroyo Grande, but maybe just a little for Atascadero. SLO County is certainly gorgeous and appealing, but you pay more for it these days. There is wine country at the north end especially (Paso Robles area w/at least 100 wineries), the coastal area with San Simeon/Cambria/Cayucos/Morro Bay/Baywood Park-Los Osos, Avila,Shell, Pismo & Grover Beach and there is the signature tourist attraction of Hearst Castle I have been to twice now (went there in 1995 and 2011). The college town of San Luis Obispo is very nice, too, especially its downtown area. I think there is a small zoo in Atascadero. The only thing you are far from in SLO is major league sports, but they have the SLO Blues minor league baseball team and Cal Poly sports. The majors want too much $$$ to pay those salaries these days and I have seen my share of pro games, anyways. LOL.

I'll probably end up settling for being reasonably close to SLO in Santa Maria or Lompoc 7 or so years from now, but will definitely check for possible deals in SLO County too. Lompoc is only an hour north of Santa Barbara, too. Like you said, it can be a roller coaster. May just decide to rent.

For the time being I want to stay about an hour from family (south San Jose). As far as climate, the only one that I would struggle with is Paso Robles which gets serious heat in the summer. The others seem to at least cool down in the evening. Thanks for the input and letting me vent with perhaps too much info! LOL.

Last edited by chessgeek; 08-02-2014 at 03:25 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 03:59 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
I love my city but hate the state of Georgia. I can't say I'd never move, but I'd have to have a really good reason to do so.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:05 PM

603 posts, read 931,884 times
Would I ever move away from my current city, Austin? Yes. I hope to make that a reality around the first of the year.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:52 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
I currently live in the distant suburbs of Seattle, and plan to get a place in the city when I can afford it. That being said, Oregon and Washington are the only two states I really care to live in. I enjoy travelling to other places, but no matter where I go, the Northwest will always be my true home.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:40 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I can only hope.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:40 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times
I hope so, but realistically, I"ll probably be stuck here.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:03 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times
God I hope so. Went from living in a ghetto part of South Atlanta for 19 years to living in a small upstate NY town that gets 170-200 inches of snow a year, with a few stops on the way (Iraq,Korea) Would like to make it somewhere between the two in the next few years. Preferably Richmond, Raleigh, or Columbus.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:25 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
I'll probably live in the city of Detroit until I have a child and I'm ready to start a family. If the schools ever get any better I would consider just living in one of the affluent neighborhoods in the city. Eventually I will want to live in a lake house in one of the Grosse Pointes or somewhere in the Bloomfield/Birmingham area.

Tbh, I just don't see any reason to leave Metro Detroit unless I have a great opportunity that comes along elsewhere. I am not missing out on anything by being in some other state (and I have been to many other places) I have every thing that I need and 95% of everything I want. It's fun, not too expensive, and there are many affluent areas with no crime and great schools which makes it a great place for a family as well. It's not perfect by any means but most can find an area that they will enjoy living in.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:27 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I lived in Louisville, KY and Cincinnati. Yeah, the Midwest wasn't for me, either. (And Louisville is not only a Midwestern city in demeanor for the most part, many of its residents would rather not claim Kentucky as their home.)
Kentucky isn't part of the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.