Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:06 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times

Advertisements

The environment around Santa Fe is not the typical brown, dusty sage landscape typical of much of the Southwest. It is a high desert environment, encompassing several climate and topographical features that are both unique and visually stunning.

If your looking for an authentic, hippy type of place, not to be confused by the more common suburban hipster, grow out of it by age 32 type of populace, than I truly can't think of a better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 07:25 AM

26 posts, read 36,881 times
For better or worse, it does seem that I have been on track all along. Oregon is a key place I have not spent time in that remains a real possibility, I think.

I loved Santa Fe and did, in fact, consider it. Wouldn't completely rule it out now, either. However, when I was there in circa 2000, there was an overwhelming reaction by the residents that they didn't welcome East Coasters and their swimming pool desires, given limited water resources there. I don't have those desires - and wholly think they are inappropriate there - but the anti-East Coaster attitude did seem a little off-putting from the aspect of MOVING there.

I went on a day trip to Ithaca once to eat at the Moosewood. Lovely town, although I suspect the winters would be a deal-breaker.

Many thanks to all of you have offered your thoughts and ideas, and I welcome more of them!

Last edited by 13stars; 07-27-2014 at 07:43 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 07:29 AM

26 posts, read 36,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post

If your looking for an authentic, hippy type of place, not to be confused by the more common suburban hipster, grow out of it by age 32 type of populace...
I think that's a reasonable way to put it. I am not seeking pot, dreads, and patchouli, although those are generally fine by me... I am seeking deeper, lasting ideals like peaceful coexistence, embracing diversity, neighborliness, connection to the land, reverence for animals and the planet... that sort of thing, without putting a great deal of time into articulating it.

My husband and I are professionals, raising youg children. We want them to live in a place where environmental stewardship and neighborly behavior are the norms. We want our friends and neighbors to be as into National Parks, camping, and star gazing as we are. We want to bike to many of our destinations, and the icing on cake would be a very vegan-friendly place.

Last edited by 13stars; 07-27-2014 at 07:49 AM..

Old 07-27-2014, 11:38 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,268 times
I instantly want to say Fayetteville AR? Maybe Eugene, OR?

It is a tough hybrid to achieve...

Old 07-27-2014, 11:52 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13stars View Post
We have talked about Charlottesville a little, too. I haven't spent a lot of time there, but my impressions have been that it's nice, not particularly hippie, and actually a bit on the more yuppie side. Does this seem wrong?

Charlottesville is pretty, but you will get more winter there. Not much in the way of nature, kayaking, etc. Maybe a little snooty (imo). (ut oh ... must duck and run now )

Asheville is the city with the big "marketing" hype and plenty of hippy types but they are only downtown Avl. (Asheville, the area, actually has 11 zip codes.) Beautiful areas outside of the city of Asheville, yet great access to all there is to offer. Weaverville, Black Mountain, Hendersonville, Waynesville and so forth. Four seasons, but that #4 is very moderate, of course, depending on elevation. Some humidity in the summer, but no biggie for most of us; plenty of forests, vegetation contribute to the corresponding weather. Waterfalls abound, hiking, the music scene is awesome everywhere around here. Mostly laid back, friendly atmosphere, a haven for tourists from June through October and a popular retirement area as well. Must be a reason.

www.romanticasheville.com

www.visitnc.com

www.mountainx.com

www.historichendersonville.org

www.carolinaliving.com

Last edited by QuilterChick; 07-27-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 07-27-2014, 02:25 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Have you looked into Eureka Springs, Arkansas?

Are there hippies in Gatlinburg? If so they are well hidden. I used to know a few hippie households in Pittman Center but that was a long, long time ago. Kind of curious what the draw is for Gatlinburg.

Last edited by creeksitter; 07-27-2014 at 02:35 PM..

Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
You said you want to stay out of the Deep South? So South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana are out of the picture? Just making sure, because there are indeed places that fit your description in the Deep South like Greenville, SC. Moving on, Charlottesville is a good suggestion IMO judging from your description. If you're more familiar with NC, Charlottesville is almost like a cross between Asheville and Chapel Hill located in the foothills of VA. It's only an hour from Richmond, and about two hours from the DC metro. Not to mention the Triangle region of NC, which is roughly three hours to the south. It's a college town, but I don't get a strong hippie vibe when I visit (complete opposite story in Asheville). It's a very old area, almost has a prestigious, southern vibe to it(and this is the case for most of Virginia). Plenty of old estates like Monticello and Ash Lawn-Highland in the vicinity. I definitely recommend looking into Charlottesville.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:13 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,481 times
Quote:
We've spent a good deal of time in both AVL and FoCo. We love the vibe and regional beauty of Asheville, and love the weather of Fort Collins. The people are nice both places. We're a family of four looking to move to a mountain area. Looking for very good public schools, great outdoor recreation, vegan-friendly atmosphere, and safe family biking (preferably as a regular mode of transportation, not just recreation). Access to kayaking/canoes/water tubing would be great. REQUIRE lots of sunshine, low humidity, and no harsh winter or summer weather. Would love more architectural character than FoCo offers. Our professions are in the building industry. We are looking for a place that is a bit more of a hybrid of the best of Fort Collins and Asheville. Less brown than Fort Collins, a bit hippie-ish like Asheville, weather more like Fort Collins, access to grand national treasures/parks like Fort Collins, great local music scene (more along the lines of bluegrass than college rock)... Looking for a mid-sized city, most likely, perhaps with access to a bigger city and airport within 60-90 minutes.

Oregon always shows up on where to live quizzes, but we're not sure the weather and sunshine would pan out there. Flagstaff shows up some, but we haven't spent time there. Any other good leads on "similar" cities? The Northeast and the deep south are mostly out of the question. Thanks!
I have absolutely no idea why Bend, OR (or the more affordable Redmond) is not on your short list. It's a little pricey- but so is nearly every city in the west. It's greener (many more trees than FOCO), more mild, and has a much more "mountainy feel" than Ft. Collins with great access to the Cascades and all kinds of great scenery, plus a lot of sunshine. Very hike/bike/kayak friendly, with a great microbrew scene (a la Asheville, but with better breweries IMHO) and an overall focus on active/healthy lifestyles. Speaking of the Cascades, cities on the eastern side are much sunnier and drier than anything on the western side of OR or WA. The only thing that doesn't fit your criteria is proximity to a bigger city, as Portland is 3 hours away.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:54 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Basically, I am looking for adult hippie paradise. Lush green, impressive mountains, lovely people, good schools, good employment opportunities, low crime, snow-but-not-so-much-rain, tons of sun...
So isn't the rest of the country.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:34 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Coeur d'Alene, Sandpoint or Moscow, Idaho are options. Big lakes, forests, rivers, progressive, earthy, but the winters may be more harsh then you would like. I saw Salt Lake mentioned, but Boise is much more of a hippy/vegan outdoorsy, bike friendly city then SLC, but as SLC, Boise is in the high desert with forests nearby. The city (Boise) itself is green and verdant with a trout river running through it, and has a lot of sunny days. Boise also has a strong coffee house culture, has vegan restuarants and a large locavore culture, huge local music scene including several genres and is artsy. Is is very common to see young families all biking together through the city and along the river greenbelt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.