Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:03 AM

11 posts, read 19,214 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I have been furiously searching for my ideal city. After researching nearly every city in the US, I have narrowed it down to 5 that fit me well. NOW, I would like some feedback from everyone. Which of these cities would you personally choose and why?????

1. Chesapeake, VA
2. Jacksonville, FL
3. Raleigh, NC
4. Reno, NV
5. Tampa, FL

Just curious how others feel about these cities. I would like to see if one of them stands out as everyone's favorite.

Thank you for your time!
Happy, Happy Holidays!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 10:05 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtaheresoon View Post
Hello everyone,
I have been furiously searching for my ideal city. After researching nearly every city in the US, I have narrowed it down to 5 that fit me well. NOW, I would like some feedback from everyone. Which of these cities would you personally choose and why?????

1. Chesapeake, VA
2. Jacksonville, FL
3. Raleigh, NC
4. Reno, NV
5. Tampa, FL

Just curious how others feel about these cities. I would like to see if one of them stands out as everyone's favorite.

Thank you for your time!
Happy, Happy Holidays!!!
Chesapeake and Raleigh sounds like the first choices to go to for me. Chesapeake is close to the beach, so that is good. Jacksonville, no way. Tampa, maybe, a slight maybe, but not Reno.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:09 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Reno has it's downside, for sure, but the region is great. Plus, you can play slots at 7-11.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:10 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Ick. I'm personally not a fan of any of these cities, so I won't fake giving you advice. In any event, I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:26 AM

SWB,
You can still help, could you tell me why you don't like the cities? I am just trying to gather as much information as possible. I understand that the reasons you may not like them may not effect me. I still would like to know though. My budget is very limited and I may not even be able to visit my city of choice before moving. All the info I get will help.

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:37 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
SWB,
You can still help, could you tell me why you don't like the cities? I am just trying to gather as much information as possible. I understand that the reasons you may not like them may not effect me. I still would like to know though. My budget is very limited and I may not even be able to visit my city of choice before moving. All the info I get will help.

Thanks!
Well, for me it is purely a difference in lifestyle. I prefer older, historic cities where you could live within a 10-minute walk of a downtown area with stores, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Unfortunately, most cities that fit those criteria are in the Northern half of the nation, and most of those are fairly expensive.

I'm sure the urban cores of each of these five cities have central business districts that are brimming with activity during weekdays, but by and large they are 9-5 cities of commerce where most folks simply work and then chug home in the car to the suburbs for home, shopping, etc. I think the "best" cities in our nation are those that have very high populations in or near their downtowns, as these cores then develop nicely with a lot of nightlife, shopping, dining, etc. to cater to the evening and weekend foot traffic.

I will reiterate that it's simply a "lifestyle" choice that has me soured on cities such as these. I've grown up with my car attached at the hip to get to a grocery store, park, restaurant, school, work, and even just to drive somewhere devoid of traffic to go running. As such I've grown disgusted with my car and want to move somewhere that I'll be able to minimize driving. The five cities you listed don't at all seem to be dense enough to permit a great car-free lifestyle. If you don't mind driving, then I'm sure one of them will most certainly fit your bill.

Best of luck!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:52 AM

Thank you SWB, your post gave me something to think about. I understand where you are coming from. Your view on a good city sounds very charming. Part of the reason I am picking the cities I am is because I hate cold weather. I also want to stay away from the SW because that's where I live now. Rules out a lot of places. I wish I could tolerate the cold but I just can't. Reno is about as cold as it gets for me!

Thanks for your input

Old 12-20-2007, 12:06 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,835 times
Quote:
Thank you SWB, your post gave me something to think about. I understand where you are coming from. Your view on a good city sounds very charming. Part of the reason I am picking the cities I am is because I hate cold weather. I also want to stay away from the SW because that's where I live now. Rules out a lot of places. I wish I could tolerate the cold but I just can't. Reno is about as cold as it gets for me!

Thanks for your input

Virginia and North Carolina are not warm in the winter. They're not exactly Minnesota, but still. It's not a warm climate per se.

With that being said, I'd choose Raleigh. It's the only one I'd choose. Has a decent-sized, educated, well off population.

_

Old 12-20-2007, 12:08 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Well, for me it is purely a difference in lifestyle. I prefer older, historic cities where you could live within a 10-minute walk of a downtown area with stores, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Unfortunately, most cities that fit those criteria are in the Northern half of the nation, and most of those are fairly expensive.

I'm sure the urban cores of each of these five cities have central business districts that are brimming with activity during weekdays, but by and large they are 9-5 cities of commerce where most folks simply work and then chug home in the car to the suburbs for home, shopping, etc. I think the "best" cities in our nation are those that have very high populations in or near their downtowns, as these cores then develop nicely with a lot of nightlife, shopping, dining, etc. to cater to the evening and weekend foot traffic.

I will reiterate that it's simply a "lifestyle" choice that has me soured on cities such as these. I've grown up with my car attached at the hip to get to a grocery store, park, restaurant, school, work, and even just to drive somewhere devoid of traffic to go running. As such I've grown disgusted with my car and want to move somewhere that I'll be able to minimize driving. The five cities you listed don't at all seem to be dense enough to permit a great car-free lifestyle. If you don't mind driving, then I'm sure one of them will most certainly fit your bill.

Best of luck!
I'm agreeing with SWB
as far as southern cities that may fit SWB's bill....Savannah

Old 12-20-2007, 12:09 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times
I would vote for Jacksonville...I am a big Jacksonville fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.