Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:09 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_crews View Post
no state is going to secede or start a war over being forced to accept gay marriage. The only reason they don't already are the old, decrepit members of the "old boys club" in southern politics.

young republicans support same-sex marriage

new survey shows most southerners support same-sex marriage

can we drop the hyperbole? For people who pretend to hate stereotypes and promote an open mind, i see a lot of people spewing hateful stereotypes about people in the south, much of which is untrue.
+1,000

This is especially true for someone in GA trying to criticize SC on this subject. Like, did I miss something??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:19 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
The block of libertarian gop constituents in metro Atlanta separates the Georgia gop constiuency from that of s.c. by a long shot.
When the state gop catches up to that reality, it will have reformed itself to some degree.
Thusly, I don't need to be told by anyone to "Drop the act."

Old 07-31-2014, 09:24 AM

657 posts, read 802,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Yes, we are BAD gays ... VERY bad gays ... LOL!

I guess it's shocking to some that the gay "community" (ahem) isn't united on this issue.

What would they say if they knew some gay people actually vote republican and go to church on Sunday?
Are you serious?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
+1,000

This is especially true for someone in GA trying to criticize SC on this subject. Like, did I miss something??????
Agreed, seems like obvious hyperbole to me....

Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Virginia has struck the ban down... Also, 2 judges in Florida have struck the ban down. It's already happening.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:50 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Florida is in the south, but I dunno that most people consider it "southern" from a cultural standpoint.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
The block of libertarian gop constituents in metro Atlanta separates the Georgia gop constiuency from that of s.c. by a long shot.
So tell me, how is Georgia so different than SC on this particular issue? At least SC's amendment explicitly includes a provision that allows same-sex couples the right to draw up contracts to share assets.

Practically, what you're saying doesn't result in much difference between the two states politically: both have gay marriage bans in place, refused to set up ACA exchanges, refused Medicaid expansion, have voter ID laws, passed immigration legislation, etc. You're acting as though Georgia is Massachusetts in comparison to SC and nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
A glance back at my earlier reference to s.c., will reveal that I wrote "I wonder if POLITICIANS there will threaten succession & fire the first shot..".
In the interim, I've been accused of perpetuating stereotypes. But in reality, the s.c. POLITICIANS s.c. do that perpetuating just fine all by themselves without any help from me.
When in recent memory have the gop politicians running that state proposed or produced any legislation or made public comments on any hot button issue that hasn't been fodder for the more red meat members of their constituency?
When have they produced anything that bears a hint of forward-thinking moderation?
Call it hyperbole on my part to expose the reality of the total lack of any sense of moderation amongst the gop politicians of s.c. if you will but it sadly is the reality & not a stereotype.
What will eventually happen in s.c. is that a trend for moderation will occur in the constituency & the pols will have to moderate themselves or be defeated at the ballot box.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
A glance back at my earlier reference to s.c., will reveal that I wrote "I wonder if POLITICIANS there will threaten succession & fire the first shot..".
In the interim, I've been accused of perpetuating stereotypes. But in reality, the s.c. POLITICIANS s.c. do that perpetuating just fine all by themselves without any help from me.
When in recent memory have the gop politicians running that state proposed or produced any legislation or made public comments on any hot button issue that hasn't been fodder for the more red meat members of their constituency?
When have they produced anything that bears a hint of forward-thinking moderation?
Call it hyperbole on my part to expose the reality of the total lack of any sense of moderation amongst the gop politicians of s.c. if you will but it sadly is the reality & not a stereotype.
What will eventually happen in s.c. is that a trend for moderation will occur in the constituency & the pols will have to moderate themselves or be defeated at the ballot box.
Oh, but this has happened in Georgia? Obviously you must live in the country of Georgia, not the U.S. state.

Give me a break dude.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:00 AM

And why is all your angst even directed at SC, as if Georgia--the state you actually live in--doesn't have enough for you to be angry about? And what about AL? TN? FL? This obsession of yours with SC is interesting somewhat amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.