Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

New Jersey, especially northeast and central, in the NY metro range. While there is a large Indian population here, and some are entrenched in their cultures,I know Indians who grew up here or came here very young and are as American as I am. One is a woman who lives with a Latino man. They've been together for 15 years and own a house, but her aunts keep pulling her aside at family events and offer to find her a nice Indian man.

But, we're densely populated with all sorts of people here, and you'd probably be comfortable. Yes, racism exists here like everywhere else, and there are still lily white areas not open to outsiders, but they shrink more every year. Just don't bother with people like that. I'm white and I don't. Even when they are related to me, heh, heh, heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 08:27 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times
Like most threads, it seems like most people are answering with:

"Oh, that is easy. Where I live is the most open minded and accepting."

I am going to start repping people every time they suggest a place that is more than 500 miles from where they live... and I doubt I end up giving out that much rep...

Old 07-31-2014, 08:53 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
I'd say most of the US is accepting to minorities. I have an Indian friend who was born and raised in Wichita, Ks, he liked it there, seldom had problems, moved to Dallas and loves it there. He said there is a large community of American born Indians and they integrate in perfectly. He mostly dates Indian girls, but has dated a couple while girls as well. My wife is Chinese, born in China and we have lived in western Kansas and now Lawrence, Ks and never had a problem. Race issues are always blown out of proportion.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'd say most of the US is accepting to minorities. I have an Indian friend who was born and raised in Wichita, Ks, he liked it there, seldom had problems, moved to Dallas and loves it there. He said there is a large community of American born Indians and they integrate in perfectly. He mostly dates Indian girls, but has dated a couple while girls as well. My wife is Chinese, born in China and we have lived in western Kansas and now Lawrence, Ks and never had a problem. Race issues are always blown out of proportion.
Exactly my experience! I am a American born Caucasian, but I have spent a lot of time in rural areas in the U.S. and I have never seen the stereotypical racism people like to paint the small towns as having. In high school, there were some kids who picked on other kids and said mean racial things... but those same kids said mean things to the white kids they didn't like as well. They were just dicks in general. Two of my best friends were black and they were some of the most popular kids in the school.

What has your wife's experience been like in communities of less than 10,000 people? Even when just visiting... Did the whole town stop and give you dirty looks or have they been nice and cordial? I would guess the latter as minorities didn't have a problem in the town of under 2000 people that I grew up in....

It seems like people in cities often get on a high horse when it comes to diversity and they like to paint the small towns as bastions of the KKK.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:08 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
San Francisco is the most diverse city in the US, and is VERY accepting of people of different and even eccentric ways of life. Other cities that are accepting of outsiders are NY, Atlanta and Miami.

I would shy away from most "Red" states...conservative areas of the US...basically all of the southern states, which generally do not look kindly upon strangers or those with different cultures.

Really?? What an ignorant thing to say." Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Old 08-01-2014, 05:52 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
New Jersey, especially northeast and central, in the NY metro range. While there is a large Indian population here, and some are entrenched in their cultures,I know Indians who grew up here or came here very young and are as American as I am. One is a woman who lives with a Latino man. They've been together for 15 years and own a house, but her aunts keep pulling her aside at family events and offer to find her a nice Indian man.

But, we're densely populated with all sorts of people here, and you'd probably be comfortable. Yes, racism exists here like everywhere else, and there are still lily white areas not open to outsiders, but they shrink more every year. Just don't bother with people like that. I'm white and I don't. Even when they are related to me, heh, heh, heh.
I thought about Central NJ(i.e.-Edison, New Brunswick, Piscataway, East Brunswick, etc) due to being very diverse with high Indian/South Asian populations.

I'd say that major college towns could work given that people come from all over the world and there is an abundance of young people.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:29 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Like most threads, it seems like most people are answering with:

"Oh, that is easy. Where I live is the most open minded and accepting."

I am going to start repping people every time they suggest a place that is more than 500 miles from where they live... and I doubt I end up giving out that much rep...
Well, the people who DON'T live in open-minded places aren't going to post saying, "Stay the eff outta my city and stay away from our women, too!" They just don't post.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:00 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
San Francisco is the most diverse city in the US, and is VERY accepting of people of different and even eccentric ways of life.
...and they just set a record for most expensive area in the country. The median home price in SF is now $1 million dollars. Doubt the OP is a multi millionaire.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, the people who DON'T live in open-minded places aren't going to post saying, "Stay the eff outta my city and stay away from our women, too!" They just don't post.
I wish they would, ha ha, but I also think those areas are super rare.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:26 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
California is one of the most cosmopolitan places in the world and, naturally, the vast majority of people won't care where you come from. The exception is, interestingly and at least in my experience, the City of San Francisco, where you have to "fit in" with the local "liberal, open-minded" vibe or else you pretty much don't belong.

But honestly, most major cities all across this county, even smaller locales like Birmingham, Nashville, Salt Lake City, etc. are full of people who won't care where you come from. A person is only, at least most likely, to encounter the "checking out the outsider" scenario in more rural regions with very little in-migration, such as small towns on the Great Plains and in Appalachia, as well as even some small- to medium-sized Midwestern cities like Evansville, Louisville, and Des Moines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.