Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,118,446 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if the OP dresses like those Southern frat boys too when he wanders around these various campuses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 PM

136 posts, read 241,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I would like to know if the OP dresses like those Southern frat boys too when he wanders around these various campuses
Calm down. I was making observations and discussion. That's what this forum is for, not need to be rude.

I'm sorry for opening a conversation? Was just wondering why there was such a contrast and everyone is getting defensive.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneal8 View Post
I'm 36 years old, I have more important things on my mind than where frat boys live in college. You are only in college for short period of time. Looks like an awful waste of money for housing for the lower level students at a college.
It's a discussion. Chill. Skip the thread if you're not interested in my opinion.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
People down south are better looking, have more class and style, etc ... for what it's worth.
Not to sound rude, but people down south are less likely to be free thinkers. This results in people dressing more conservatively. One is less likely to see women not wearing makeup, or men not wearing collard shirts up north because at the end of the day, really smart people don't give a flying **** about that sort of thing.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
really smart people don't give a flying **** about that sort of thing.
That's ironic because last I checked, in the work place, dressing well was valued.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
lol All I did is state mine. You hype stuff up too much. LIttle obsessed with Greek culture I think. Most students in the South are not in the frat/sororoties. true story.
No, but most people in the SEC would tell you that greek life feels like it runs the school.

I'm in college. I enjoy greek life. I enjoy talking about college life because that's the stage I'm at in my life. I enjoy talking about things relevant my own life, so if that makes me 'obsessed' then so be it.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 PM

Like it or not; greek life, college football, dressing well, and valuing formality and manners are all more prevalent in the south and could all be considered part of the culture along with sweet tea, country music, and conservative values. Does that mean all southerners embody the 'culture'? No. The South, like any region, is diverse. However, every region has culturally regional interests and attributes. Acknowledging them is not 'grouping all people into one pot', it's recognizing the societal values of certain regions.

The greek scene is big down south, as for football, moreso than anywhere else in the United States.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:54 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
Quote:
lol at "free thinkers". we have somebody who thinks he is top shelf here.

Most self described "free thinkers" are the ones who love big government. doesn't have much to do with free and not comforming. lol
I'm from southTX, and I would hardly consider myself "top shelf."

Stop turning it into politics. It just means that it's more socially acceptable for people to stray from the norm up north.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I'm from southTX, and I would hardly consider myself "top shelf."

Stop turning it into politics. It just means that it's more socially acceptable for people to stray from the norm up north.
People often refer to southerners as being 'closed-minded'. The phrase always irks me because a liberal's perception of being 'closed minded' is not considering the changes brought about by society. Though I'm not from the south, I tend to agree with their prevailing politics. Simply because I do not accept all of the changes that society tries to shove down my throat, does not mean that I don't consider them.

A closed minded individual will not consider any opinions or changes that don't meet his or her preconceived notions of how a society should function. In contrast, I consider certain elements of change, alternative lifestyles, and new ways of thinking. I just don't embrace them.

To the liberal, being closed minded is not a lack of considering new ideas, it's not accepting them. If you don't accept everything society tries to make you believe, you are closed minded. That's failed logic.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
You see frat boys dressed up at Ohio State, USC, Michigan, Penn State, and the like.

I don't see "sweet tea" and "country music" as "South culture". Lot of pepole never drink sweet tea or tea at all here. Maybe 30 percent of the population likes Country.

It just seems like you are looking for Symbols of the South to assign us.
When people think of country music they think of Nashville and the south. When people think of sweet tea, they think of the south. It doesn't mean everyone embraces it, but they are part of your culture just like coffee is part of Washington's culture and beer and sausage are part of German culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.