Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:29 PM

136 posts, read 241,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneal8 View Post
i would say you are captain generalization. Southern culture is sweat tea and grits and saying ya'll and square dancing and country music. lol Actually, no. it isn't.

i know frats do the other stuff. like i said, it is a group of guys who want to dictate what you do every minute you are awake. got to to go the gym at 5 pm every day and lift weights, etc. You have no ability to be sponteanous and set your own schedule. that would drive me crazy.

i held my own self accountable for my grades.
I didn't say that was southern culture. I said it was PART of southern culture, because it is. Period.

I clarified that it's not reflected in everyone. Not sure what your butthurt about ,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
ok, are you a Sociology major by the way? I never knew exactly what that was, I figure it was the study of racism and how to put people into differnet groups.
Actually I'm not a sociology major. It interests me.

If you're naive enough to think the things I mentioned aren't part of the culture down south, then you're a ****ing idiot. Almost 100% of country singers are from the south. I say almost, but I can't think of a single one who isn't. Nashville is the country music capitol of the world and I heard more country music down south than anywhere else I've ever been -- BY FAR. So yeah, it is part of your culture because it is far more popular in your region than anywhere else, along with being founded in the region.

Sweet tea? Good lord buddy, you can't even buy sweet tea up North without searching the grocery store for 15-20 minutes. Believe me, I've tried. The stuff they sell is ****. Most of my friends down south are obsessed with sweet tea and it's consumed everywhere I go. I've never seen people be in so in love with a drink.

College football, tailgating, and greek life is bigger in the south. Period.

Southern culture means things that are associated with a given region. It's a ****ing fact that country music and sweet tea is associated with the south. Doesn't mean everyone indulges in it, but it's still part of your culture. Quit bitching about it.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:40 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest gent View Post
college football, tailgating, and greek life is bigger in the SEC. Period.
fify

Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 PM

With all due respect, you have comprehension issues.

You've been raised in the south and are basing your perception of the north based on one visit to a New York restaurant. I was raised in the North for 18 years and have lived three years in the south. Nobody up North drinks sweet tea. When I try to order it, they give me a funny look and say 'we have iced tea and sugar packets'. Good luck finding a restaurant in the south that doesn't have sweet tea.

Again, not all country singers are from Nashville. MANY are from Carolina; Josh Turner, Darius Rucker, Dan and Shay, Parmalee -- just to name a few.

Country music is actually the most popular genre in the US.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:47 PM

And believe me when I say other football conferences are not nearly as passionate about their football. People campout in tentsoutside of Williams-Brice over 24 hours before the game starts and start drinking at 8 AM. I've gone more than a few rounds down there and have never seen such a football crazed city.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
One visit? Try multiple visits to numerous. I worked up there about 4 months. I also lived in DC metro which doesn't have a "southern" culture anymore and lot of country music.

I never said they drink ice tea up north. I said i don't think it is part of the "culture" down here. It is just another option. Again, i think most people down here given a choice will get a soft drink vs a sweet tea.

i never said all country singers are from Nashville. lol how could you even make that inference?

I wouldn't call Darius Rucker a country singer. his recent album moved some in that direction but his Hootie stuff had some kind of melody to it which is consistent with rock but not country. People in the south generally like that laid back rock sound but not so much country.
You're speaking on your generation. You cannot deny that the younger generation of southerners are a lot preppier with regards to clothing and whatnot.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I could start a thread asking why Southern kids dress down for game day and find hundreds of pics to 'prove' my point. But the truth is that there is very little difference in how college kids from different regions dress.
It's really true - students at Southern schools DO dress up more. I've heard many Northerners at our games marvel at that.

Actually, it you have a date, especially with a fraternity or sorority member, you dress up. I see guys in button-down, long-sleeve shirts and ties (bow ties are more fashionable right now), navy blazers and khakis, girls in extra-high heeled platform shoes, cute gameday dresses, with killer manicures. It's kinda fun to see how they look at the end of the game when the temp is 105 and humidity is 85 - and remember, those student sections always are full in the sun!

For girls, homecoming calls for an outfit for the early morning parade, an outfit for tailgating with the 'rents, a game outfit, and another outfit for the band party after the game.

But if you don't have a date and are just going with friends, you'll wear a team shirt and shorts or jeans.

Why do we do it?

The weather's nice up through late November...and we need to look good to be on TV.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
lol, i don't think anything has changed. I graduated 14 years ago, that seems like forever to you give it is probabyl most of your life but reality is it wasn't long ago. You'll see wut i mean soon enough. buckle up. lol

Clemson had plenty of preppy dressers. never denied it. in fact, I made fun of it. lol Dressing up for a football game = not cool

The percentage of frat/sorority is always about the same in colleges so the number of preppy dressers in the same, b/c that is essentially the same group of people.
You seem awful concerned with whats cool for someone who graduated 14 years ago.

I'm 21. Frankly, don't appreciate being talked down to. You come off as someone who wants to separate himself from all stereotypes of southerners. All stereotypes have a basis in reality. If you ask me, good food, sweet tea, and country music are all amazing things to have associated with you region. No other region in the United States can lay claim to a specific genre.

When it comes to culture, there is perhaps none in the US that stands out more than the culture down south. It's a unique way of life and one I fell in love with. I never want to leave this place. I love my country music, I love my sweet tea, I love the women down here, I love the food, I love the weather, I love the colleges, I love the people. You are taking offense to things intended to be compliments.

Yes, the south is diverse; diverse in interests, diverse in thought, diverse in political affiliation -- no one shoe size fits everyone. But there are many things the south should be PROUD to call their own.

I embraced this region full on when I came down and absolutely love it.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:11 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times
wow a 2-person 8-page-so-far thread.

Very enlightening.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
women, weather, colleges. all that stuff exists everwyhere.
Every time my friends from UW-Wisconsin come down to visit me, they rant and rave for hours about how beautiful the girls are here compared to UW. You can't even compare the southern belles to girls at any Big 10 school -- it's not fair. There are two categories of women; girls in the SEC and everyone else.

As for country music, you're right, a lot of people don't like it. But the vast majority of the people I know down here do like it and I imagine my sample size is a little larger than yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.